Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow - Ulster, Connaught, Munster, North Leinster

• 11-03-2011 3:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Hi all, think this should have a thread.

Rain will turn to sleet and snow this evening over the Northern half of the country and persist throughout the night and much of tomorrow. Temperatures will fall quickly there after nightfall to around freezing generally. There could be quite a large amount of snow especially inland areas of Ulster, North Connaught and later in the night extending down through Connaught and into Munster. Windward coasts should largely have rain. Through Saturday rain and snow will continue becoming more widespread again as it move East back into Leinster also. It's unclear how much snow may fall but higher ground and inland areas Id say over 5cm's easily.

Winds will be light becoming variable before gradual switching Northerly. Temperatures not rising much above freezing, if at all, for large parts of Ireland tomorrow.

Will update after the next model runs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Que the anti snow posters....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Who will be the first to report some snow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Welcome back Darkman2!!! :D Snow snow snow!!!

• Hard to call.
    The system looks like engaging more and more of the cold air back building behind it as it stalls.
    But theres a lot of mild air thats going nowhere either.
    So expect a wintry precip line that has a stark contrast between almost spring conditions and then 30 miles from there,the depths of winter.

For sure theres a high risk of snow later in central ulster and as the thing pivots,that risk extends to other areas more especially the further west and north you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

eskimocat wrote: »
    Welcome back Darkman2!!! :D Snow snow snow!!!

I love Darkman's threads!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

10 euro on Knock Airport reporting light/moderate snow by 8-9 o'clock this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Pangea wrote: »
    Que the anti snow posters....

Damn you snowpeople and your cursed white powders ruining the futures of our childrens :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Just to report the rain has turned to snow here, we have had sleet for the last two hours.

And just has i say that its back to sleet with big flakes mixed in. The temperature has dropped from 5.2 to 3.5 in the last hour and half the dew points most be pretty low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Rarely you see such a sharp North-South temperature split in Ireland

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It has turned from rain to sleet to snow here not sticking thankfully, it is further up the mountain I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I HEART YOU DARKMAN2!!!

Heavy snow! huge flakes falling, not sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

not a thing in monaghan town raining all day just stopped now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not a thing here, not even rain, seems like we've just missed edge of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Snowing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I've a good mind to change the title of this thread, I think it's a little alarmist and OTT to be honest, but then it is a darkman thread I suppose!:p

It certainly looks like higher ground is going to get some snow but the majority of people at lowest levels won't get anything much. Tempting fate I know but I see cloud cover hanging around tonight, preventing temperatures from falling too much. With -5°C uppers, it will certainly snow down to maybe 150m, but I don't see snow surviving the trip to lowest levels, apart from the far north and west, away from coasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

10c here in Cork at the moment - ain't happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Flamethrowers at the ready!

Oh wait, its practically mild here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

It feels very cold here, 3c Double sock time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

Very mild here 12C.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

There is a very steep thermal gradient over the country. I think for most of tonight the differentiation in temperature will remain as it is for the night but it should turn even colder then present through Ulster and North Connaught and as the orientation of the fronts move and change that colder air should come in from the Northwest early tomorrow across Connaught and into Munster (inc Southwest Munster) turning rain wintry with sleet and snow in inland parts.

Id say Leinster, most of it, will not be seeing much action tonight either rain or snow. And it will be far milder here and toward the South East and South coasts then elsewhere. We are in the warm sector. Like I say the models indicate temperatures at or just above freezing for the Northern part of the country - but maybe up to double figures in the South.

In summary - Snowy North, Flustered South

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Kerry and Cork will cool down soon, patience.:D:D

Well the rain turned to sleet here, then to wet snow for a while, but unfortunately it has all turned back to light rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭highdef

Chaotic and threatening skies were seen on the way home from work in Dublin along the M4. Around about Maynooth and a little after, I passed under two shelf or wall type clouds. The second one was so low that it must have been no more than a couple of hundred metres above me. Although it was nearing dusk, it went like nightime in a few seconds. Coming off the motorway at Kilcock, I could see low level clouds moving in a completely direction to the higher level clouds, themselves not being particularly high. Between Maynooth and Kilcock exit on the M4, there was 1.5c drop in temperature from 7.5 to 6c. Between there and my house which is only a few kilometres away as the crow flies, the temperature dropped another 1.5c to 4.5c. It is slowly dropping as I type so I can guess I'm barely in the cold sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Hello snow friends :D Bring it on :cool:

DarkJager wrote: »
    10c here in Cork at the moment - ain't happening.

Cork was never forecast to get snow or sleet to begin with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

highdef wrote: »
    Chaotic and threatening skies were seen on the way home from work in Dublin along the M4. Around about Maynooth and a little after, I passed under two shelf or wall type clouds. The second one was so low that it must have been no more than a couple of hundred metres above me. Although it was nearing dusk, it went like nightime in a few seconds. Coming off the motorway at Kilcock, I could see low level clouds moving in a completely direction to the higher level clouds, themselves not being particularly high. Between Maynooth and Kilcock exit on the M4, there was 1.5c drop in temperature from 7.5 to 6c. Between there and my house which is only a few kilometres away as the crow flies, the temperature dropped another 1.5c to 4.5c. It is slowly dropping as I type so I can guess I'm barely in the cold sector

I observed something similar here this evening and there was definately some rotation. Looked very unstable. It looked more like a thunderstorm cell but of course it wasn't. Still nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Snowing here.

good oul co cavan must of missed it was up there today in belturbet

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Die snow bunny, Die!!!

Advertisement