Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area 14?

• 23-06-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me when DUB check in Area 14 was last used please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

I don't remember it being used as a checkin area since EI moved to T2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It was used apparently as an overflow during the refurb of T1 check in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

In 2016? Strange that it's kept lit up, powered on and cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Alpha Romeo

It's used for the Thomson flight to Cancun, and was used yesterday for the Corsair flight.
    I believe Sky Handling have some flights there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Rawr

In 2016? Strange that it's kept lit up, powered on and cleaned.

I think it was mentioned on here a while back that Area 14 is actually a remnant of a planned potential Metro station for Dublin Airport back when this part of T1 was built. Area 14 was essentially a placeholder for what would probably have been an entrance lobby for the station, or maybe the actual platforms (I don't really know).

Alas, that Metro never happened, but perhaps they are maintaining Area 14 in case a future Metro to the airport actually happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rawr wrote: »
    I think it was mentioned on here a while back that Area 14 is actually a remnant of a planned potential Metro station for Dublin Airport back when this part of T1 was built. Area 14 was essentially a placeholder for what would probably have been an entrance lobby for the station, or maybe the actual platforms (I don't really know).

Alas, that Metro never happened, but perhaps they are maintaining Area 14 in case a future Metro to the airport actually happens.

It was an empty void, no kitout; and its in the wrong place for any future Metro station anyway. The Metrolink station is going to be beside the church roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

L1011 wrote: »
    The Metrolink station is going to be beside the church roughly.

There is something which I had totally forgotten about. Is the church used at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The original plan was that there was going to be a rail line running out to join the mainline at Sutton. This didnt happen, for many reasons, but there is a long cavity under T1, accessed from what if Area 14 and several other points, which was to be the first platform, with one also under T2.
    As for the church, well, that's long been a bone of contention between the Dublin Diocese and the DAA, who want it gone, real bad. When the DAA started twisting the arm of the priest, he told them that they would have to discuss it with the owners, ie, the staff of the airlines and the old Aer Rianta who paid for it, many of whom are long dead or pensioned off. Naturally, this is impossible, but the Bishop backs the priest and even the DAA won't go to battle with the Bishop, so they have built car parks and coach parks tightly around the church, made access difficult and reduced parking for the church to one space for the priest and about eight for visitors. Also, the church is used by airport staff and passengers, because a lot of the staff dont want to use the "multidenominational" room that is in one of the terminals.....and also because airport workers get a little thrill from sticking it to the DAA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is something which I had totally forgotten about. Is the church used at all?

Amazingly yes

https://www.stfiniansparish.com/mass-times

Clearly the priest is a sprinter based on those "one minute" distances!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Rawr wrote: »

Keep dreaming, its a urban myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The original plan was that there was going to be a rail line running out to join the mainline at Sutton. This didnt happen, for many reasons, but there is a long cavity under T1, accessed from what if Area 14 and several other points, which was to be the first platform, with one also under T2.
    As for the church, well, that's long been a bone of contention between the Dublin Diocese and the DAA, who want it gone, real bad. When the DAA started twisting the arm of the priest, he told them that they would have to discuss it with the owners, ie, the staff of the airlines and the old Aer Rianta who paid for it, many of whom are long dead or pensioned off. Naturally, this is impossible, but the Bishop backs the priest and even the DAA won't go to battle with the Bishop, so they have built car parks and coach parks tightly around the church, made access difficult and reduced parking for the church to one space for the priest and about eight for visitors. Also, the church is used by airport staff and passengers, because a lot of the staff dont want to use the "multidenominational" room that is in one of the terminals.....and also because airport workers get a little thrill from sticking it to the DAA.

I worked with more than one person who insisted that if colleagues of muslim faith were allowed time to pray, they should be given time to go to mass. Then slept in the back of the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Was there for a funeral 3/4 years ago - grandfather of a friend (and a former employee of the airport).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's used for the Thomson flight to Cancun, and was used yesterday for the Corsair flight.
    I believe Sky Handling have some flights there also.
    Not sure if it's the same one but I think I took a Finnair flight to Helsinki from there back in February. It was "underground" in a kind of basement area in any case, not sure if there are any others like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I worked with more than one person who insisted that if colleagues of muslim faith were allowed time to pray, they should be given time to go to mass. Then slept in the back of the church.

Muslim prayer i think is about 5 mins max and they can be flexible on timings to fit around their work, it's a bit different to mass where you stay anything up to an hour and is at a fixed time.

What are people's issues using the multidenominational room? Last time i visited the one in T2 for a sneak peak i found a load of literature that one faith group had placed to discredit the other.

"Leave Allah for Jesus your true saviour" ... "Follow Allah for true salvation" etc etc ... there was also some Presbyterian stuff in there claiming everyone was going to hell!

That being said the literature doesn't talk to you, you can do your prayers in relative silence!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Alpha Romeo

Alun wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the same one but I think I took a Finnair flight to Helsinki from there back in February. It was "underground" in a kind of basement area in any case, not sure if there are any others like that.

Yes, that's right, AY1382 used area 14 on the 26th and 27th of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Keep dreaming, its a urban myth.

No myth, seen the actual set up, platforms, shells of the booths myself back in 2002-2003 before they turned it into a Aer Rianta/DAA store room, plenty of long term staff, especially baggage hall staff have seen it, we used to go down there hiding on our shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

he's correct; there's a lot of underground parts of the airport that are accessed only by electricians and plumbers. Some of the older buildings, dating back to WW 2, have underground rooms, such as boiler rooms and stores rooms that are closed but still accessible.

Advertisement