Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sink or Swim!

Options
  • 12-04-2019 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all,

A friend and I are looking to buy a sailboat 30ft region €10k region and sail late July towards the Med. I have 2 weeks holiday and will fly from where we end up to where I need to be after the 2 weeks holiday. So the rub is that we have limited sailing experience (hence the title)

Any boat recommendations, or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Make sure to download/watch (BBC) Saving Lives at Sea first! :)

I don't want to rain on your parade, but that's a journey not to be undertaken lightly, if you don't have much sailing experience. Bay of Biscay being the big risk, even in Summer.

Maybe consider trying to buy a boat in the Med? Or build up your experience first?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

This is the best way to build up the experience in my opinion. The reason I want to do it is to get 800 nautical miles of tidal water sailing under my belt. This will be the first of three times doing this trip to get the 2400 needed to do the yacht-master qualification.

Have some club racing and pleasure cruise sailing around the Med and off Dublin in the Irish Sea in the past. The Bay of Biscay will be a risk and of course the weather will come into it. The plan would be to see how we go...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fair enough. From what you outlined in your last post, at least you have some experience (more than I thought from your first post). Might be worth considering roping in somebody with more experience to bring along too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

A 10K boat will need a refit, and you want to do a 1000 kn journey, in a banger of a boat. Em couldn't you find a delivery crew spot and get the experience that way?

There are a couple of examples I found in that price region that look the part, obviously to be surveyed before buying/sailing. 1980s boats but solid looking from the adverts, and we will look at them carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Post up some examples of boats you are looking at.

Chances are a 10k boat would need at least a 10k+ refit to be seaworthy enough to undertake such a voyage.

Sailing to the Med is certainly a whole lot more than just knocking around a few cans in Dublin Bay.

Would you consider a season or 2 on the Irish Sea getting experience, and crucially getting to know the boat? Short hops north, south and east to gain confidence in yourself and in the boat. There are so many places to go.

You say to fly home after 2 weeks from wherever you end up? Have you factored in berthing/marina/boatyard fee’s for when you leave the boat?

A little bit above your budget but this looks like a half decent option

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1692207/?searchid=17512246&page=8

Benetau first 30e & a Jenneau Rush for 15k and 12k respectively on mgmboats.com

1982 and 1985 if I recall. The advice seems to be to slow my roll, the best effort on slowing will be to ask a more experienced person along with me/us.

The 2nd mentioned in the opening post might volunteer to wait for the second trip...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have you considered crewing in ISORAs / RORC racing to build your miles?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Portugal and the north cost of Spain are known as the graveyard of broken dreams, with boats put up sale at a knock down price after couples or families have signed up to a life of blue water sailing and find that after a trip across Biscay, it's absolutely not for them.

€10k gets you a 26 foot coastal yacht in fair condition, or a late 60's/early 70's 30-footer with even less living space.

There are of course people who have single-handed very long cruises in very modest boats, but it generally takes quite a while to get the boat up to spec and that costs money.

You've picked a tough mountain to climb OP, the very best of luck in achieving it.

• Advertisement

Heres a few more boats that fit within your criteria;

Moody 29 in France

Achilles 9m in The U.K.

Morgan Giles 30 in The U.K.
    ^This is an older classic design, but in the right shape, would circumnavigate the globe if you wanted it too.

Mirage 28 in The U.K.

Contessa 28 in The U.K.

Ohlsen 29 in The U.K.

You'd imagine they'd all need some amount of work to get them prepped for a big journey like you have planned.

Have you also factored into the cost any additional Safety Equipment that might need to be purchased before the trip?

Life Jackets
    Foul Weather Clothing
    Liferaft (your own choice of course, but would you take the risk without one? - can also be rented)
    EPIRB/PLB (again your own choice, but would you take the risk?)
    Not to mention the many many more things you might need for any eventuality.

Not trying to put you off doing it, as it sounds like a great trip, but just be aware of all the ancillary costs involved with boat ownership.

Thanks for that, I appreciate the advice and the links. The Jeanneau Rush is the front runner, but I will take a close look at those posted when I have a chance. The plan is to put it up for sale once landed, and then hopefully try the same run a second and then a third time. That way I will have logged enough tidal sailing to get the Offshore Cert course.

Wait what?

Are you going to buy a boat, sail it to the Med, and then sell it! And then buy another boat and do the same trip 2 more times, in a new boat each time?

Surely I’m reading that wrong?

No you're 100% on the money. I live down there, and tidal waters there are not. I'll take time between trips but that's the long term plan to get the required miles up...

What if the boats take a long time to sell, if they even sell!

What about storage of the boats while they are for sale? surely that won't be cheap!

Buying a new boat for a 1 way trip each time seems a bizarre way to build up miles!!

Would you not try and get some experience doing delivery or something (tagging along as an unpaid crew member)

I can wait until 2020 for the second trip. Storage is 600 for the winter in a local boatyard I know, and if it takes time to sell I can use for my own enjoyment on weekends.

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    I can wait until 2020 for the second trip. Storage is 600 for the winter in a local boatyard I know, and if it takes time to sell I can use for my own enjoyment on weekends.

You could also pay someone to sail it back up to Ireland for you, for you to then sail it back to the Med.

Delivery costs are typically €3 per NM + airfares and fuel/berth/food costs.
    So all in you could be looking at about €3,000 to get her delivered back to Ireland which in my opinion would be a helluva lot more sensible than buying a new boat for each trip, as by doing that, you are simply multiplying the risks involved in sailing any sort of distance in a boat thats new to you.

Would you rather make 3 trips to the Med in the same boat, or in a new boat every time? I know which option I'd prefer.

Then inbetween the trips, you also have a boat at your disposal (in a part of the world with glorious sailing weather), while also having the time to do all the little odd jobs on the boat yourself etc... getting to know her better and better each and every time you go sailing.

Personally I'd like to experience a number of different boats, and at the end of it all get a better idea of the 'perfect' type of boat for me after gaining these experiences!

Any crew want to join on the voyage which should be heading south on the 28th July?

What boat have you bought? or are about to buy?

How long are you planning on the voyage to take? and how many stops along the way?

• Advertisement

Shortlist of 3 or 4. 2 weeks hoping to make the Med with one or two stops maximum. I've to take a flight back to work by or on the 11th August from the nearest airport!

Very optimistic timeline of leaving in 5 weeks, and don’t even have the boat yet!!

Best of luck and keep us informed of progress.

Perhaps we could arrange a little flotilla to see you off.

How are things looking DonalK?

Did you manage to pick up a boat?

Advertisement