Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My sister is the executor of my Dads will, it's been 7 years, we havnt heard anything

• 16-06-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So my Dad died 7 years ago and my sister was executor of his will.
    Both my two brothers and I havnt heard anything in 7 years in regards to his will, all I know Is that probate was submitted a year after the funeral.
    We havnt heard from our sister since May 2018 even after multiple texts, phone calls and emails.
    What should/can we do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭pummice

Maybe your sister was left everything, lock, stock and barrel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Probate with a Will in place?
    Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is there a split/falling out in the family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Peatys wrote: »
    Probate with a Will in place?
    Is that normal?

Yes. If there is a will, then the executor needs to take out probate.

OP, have you seen the Will?

If not then why not seek a copy? "Once a grant of probate (or letters of administration) has been issued, anybody can apply for copies of the grant and the will using Form PAS1."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am not a legal eagle, but would you consider doing a search in the Probate Office, or at your local District Probate Registry to see if a grant was applied for? That would be my first step. You can get a copy of the will and the grant for a fee.

Here is the link, and it is unreal how small the print is on this website, not great....

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/pagecurrent/B4C951B57339C2C98025810F0057286D?opendocument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,776 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I am not a legal eagle, but would you consider doing a search in the Probate Office, or at your local District Probate Registry to see if a grant was applied for? That would be my first step. You can get a copy of the will and the grant for a fee.

Here is the link, and it is unreal how small the print is on this website, not great....

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/pagecurrent/B4C951B57339C2C98025810F0057286D?opendocument

CTRL + the scrollwheel or arrow key will enlarge the print.

CTRL + the scrollwheel or arrow key will enlarge the print.

Thanks, yes I know I can do that, but at first glance it is very tiny print! And not everyone will know how to CTRL + a document online either. Poor show by the Courts Service, just my opinion. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Isn't there in all families?!

tedpan wrote: »

No. Some of us actually get along fine, without living in each others pockets.

There must be LAND involved. Yes that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

tedpan wrote:

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

YourWann wrote: »
    So my Dad died 7 years ago and my sister was executor of his will.
    Both my two brothers and I havnt heard anything in 7 years in regards to his will, all I know Is that probate was submitted a year after the funeral.
    We havnt heard from our sister since May 2018 even after multiple texts, phone calls and emails.
    What should/can we do ?

Sounds like your sister has done a runner with everything, 7 years no contact???

Thats not a good sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Is the OP's mother still alive? Not enough detail in OP, dare say there's many ways this can be approached but only by those with all the facts at their disposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

OP Seven years is way too long. Executors are expected to move reasonably quickly. A year or two is fine depending on how complicated the estate is. If she is not quite capable, she needs to renounce her position and get replaced by some one else. If she is unwilling/uncooperative, there could be a can of worms coming.

There's potential in many families but that's not always realised. We found it good to make sure we were all on the same page and made a pact which we have stuck to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

We havnt heard from our sister since May 2018
    kravmaga wrote: »
    7 years no contact???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What did she say regarding this in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

You haven't heard anything in 7 years,but you heard from your sister in 2018 ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 YourWann

Not that I know of. We always kept in touch but since last May it was just all of a sudden

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Is the OP's mother still alive? Not enough detail in OP, dare say there's many ways this can be approached but only by those with all the facts at their disposal.

Mother is still alive but they never married

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

You haven't heard anything in 7 years,but you heard from your sister in 2018 ?.

The family haven’t heard about the will in 7 years, that doesn’t mean they haven’t been in contact with the sister about other things - like most family / siblings. Not that difficult to comprehend.

What did she say regarding this in 2018?

Nothing was really said as we never talked about it as we presumed she was sorting it all.
    My Dad owned a house and left it to my brothers as I wasnt born yet when he created his will.
    He had a new will but never got it signed before he died so my sister was getting my name put on the deeds of the house which is a simply process but that was the last I heard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

there is a statute of limitations. I thought it was 6 years in your case. If it passes or has passed then you can't take legal proceedings so your position is significantly weakened. You really should talk to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

there is a statute of limitations. I thought it was 6 years in your case. If it passes or has past then you can't take legal proceedings so your position is significantly weakened. You really should talk to a solicitor.

If they deliberately weren’t notified about the contents of the will surely they have a case still?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you said that probate was submitted a year after your father died. If your sister obtained a grant of probate then the will becomes a public document and you can get a copy, other posters have posted the appropriate link.

If your sister obtained a grant of probate six years ago then your options are pretty limited. I'd get a copy of the will and then talk to a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Mother is still alive but they never married

Is the house still occupied so? By your sister & mother perhaps? Who would have lived there for many years?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Where there's a will there's a relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

is_that_so wrote: »
    Where there's a will there's a weeping relative.

Fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If they deliberately weren’t notified about the contents of the will surely they have a case still?
    No idea. I wouldn’t assume so. Have to ask a solicitor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    As Blergh advises consult a solicitor
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement