Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everything Pink Floyd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

K.Flyer wrote: »
    For fans of old skool Pink Floyd..

Back in 1970 when in the U.S. they did a recording for a tv station KQED.

Here is a really interesting article about that recording and chance to see a previously unreleased video of Pink Floyd playing Astronomy Domine

MOST enjoyable K. Flyer - Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just bought the 5.1 surround sound version of DSOTM...for an album that I've owned for 44 years (f*ck me!) the clarity is astounding...well worth it.

Love the surround sound too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Record Store Day, 21st April 2018..

Apparently Piper at the Gates of Dawn to be re-issued again (Again! I hear you all cry) with new unreleased mixes for Record Store Day on April 21st.
    The information is not up on the P.F. site yet but here are some details.
    07 March 2018,
    Pink Floyd will release the band’s debut album ‘The Piper At The Gates of Dawn’ on vinyl, with a new mono 2018 remaster by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman.

Remastered from the original 1967 mono mix, the release is the latest from Pink Floyd Records, which has recently marked global sales of over 1 million vinyl LPs since its launch in June 2016.

The limited-edition Record Store Day release is delivered on premium 12” 180-gram black vinyl, and comes paired with an exclusive poster (540 x 388mm on art paper), as well as a foil blocked outer wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

exaisle wrote: »
    Just bought the 5.1 surround sound version of DSOTM...for an album that I've owned for 44 years (f*ck me!) the clarity is astounding...well worth it.

Love the surround sound too....

Is that this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-30th-Anniversary/dp/B00008CLOA

On vinyl or CD? Think it comes with a second disc of the live show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I just learned this evening of her passing earlier this month.....such a shame, only 57.:(

RELICS is up next for re-issue and re-mastering..

Pink-Floyd-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Nick Mason's Saucerful of secrets tour of Europe/UK in September, having played a few nights already looks like a good show with a very good setlist. Unfortunately no date here. Tempted to go to one of the shows.

41444351305_228220e919.jpg

Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets UK and European tour dates

Sep 02: Stockholm Circus, Sweden
    Sep 03: Copenhagen Forum Black Box, Denmark
    Sep 04: Rostock Moya, Germany
    Sep 06: Amsterdam Carre, Netherlands
    Sep 08: Antwerp Stadsschouwburg, Belgium
    Sep 09: Luxembourg Den Atelier, Luxembourg
    Sep 10: Paris Olympia, France
    Sep 11: Dusseldorf Mitsubishi Elektrikhalle, Germany
    Sep 13: Hamburg Laeiszhalle, Germany
    Sep 15: Stuttgart Beethovensaal, Germany
    Sep 16: Berlin Tempodrom, Germany
    Sep 17: Lepzeig Haus Auensee, Germany
    Sep 19: Vienna Stadhalle F, Austria
    Sep 20: Milan Tetro Arcimboldi, Itlay
    Sep 21: Zurich Samsung Hall, Switzerland
    Sep 23: Portsmouth Guildhall, UK
    Sep 24: London Roundhouse, UK
    Sep 25: Birmingham Symphony Hall, UK
    Sep 27: Manchester O2 Apollo, UK
    Sep 28: Glasgow SEC Armadillo, UK
    Sep 29: Nottingham Royal Concert Hall, UK

Roger on the Radio..

Roger having a chat with Sean Rocks on RTE's Arena show, with a link to listen back..

RTE Arena - Roger Waters.

Listen to interview HERE

Roger Waters - Wait For Her

Just home from Roger's Gig tonight.

Not going to spoil it for anyone who might be going tomorrow night, suffice to say very pleasant surprise the 2nd & 2nd last track He played.......assuming tomorrow night's line up is the same.

Full house as expected, and for anyone humming and hawing about going tomorrow night...GO! You won't be disappointed.

Oh and donald trump, if You are reading this:p don't bother your arse going, somehow I don't think you'll be welcome.

• Advertisement

Just home from Roger's Gig tonight.

Not going to spoil it for anyone who might be going tomorrow night, suffice to say very pleasant surprise the 2nd & 2nd last track He played.......assuming tomorrow night's line up is the same.

Full house as expected, and for anyone humming and hawing about going tomorrow night...GO! You won't be disappointed.

Oh and donald trump, if You are reading this:p don't bother your arse going, somehow I don't think you'll be welcome.

I did enjoy it....however - in my opinion the Aussie & Brit Floyds deliver a better show. Musicianship pretty much the same and with better backing singers. For me the two girls sharing Great Gig in the Sky just didn't work. Far too showy for such a song.

Also the tribute bands visuals are better than what was on show last night. Don't get me wrong it was still a great show anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Chelon wrote: »
    I did enjoy it....however - in my opinion the Aussie & Brit Floyds deliver a better show. Musicianship pretty much the same and with better backing singers. For me the two girls sharing Great Gig in the Sky just didn't work. Far too showy for such a song.

Also the tribute bands visuals are better than what was on show last night. Don't get me wrong it was still a great show anyway.
    Yeah but they can't write a song to save their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re "I did enjoy it....however - in my opinion the Aussie & Brit Floyds deliver a better show." ?!?!

Surely that was a joke....right?!

poundhound wrote: »
    Re "I did enjoy it....however - in my opinion the Aussie & Brit Floyds deliver a better show." ?!?!

Surely that was a joke....right?!

Afraid not, but I did forget the caveat - they're not great in small venues, eg Olympia. When they used to play the Point they put on some show. Have you seen them there?

Afraid not, but I did forget the caveat - they're not great in small venues, eg Olympia. When they used to play the Point they put on some show. Have you seen them there?

I have seen them in the point and there is no comparison to Roger waters on any level. They're a cover band.

I have seen them in the point and there is no comparison to Roger waters on any level. They're a cover band.

That's a bit harsh, did you not think they were superb in their own right? How many of Rogers' band contributed to any of the albums?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

@Chelon
    I agree with Ash.J.Williams. I've seen the Australian Pink Floyd show 4 times and Brit Floyd twice.

I've also seen David Gilmour twice and Roger Waters seven times.

There is simply no comparison. Tribute acts are tribute acts. However, I respect your opinion.

That's a bit harsh, did you not think they were superb in their own right? How many of Rogers' band contributed to any of the albums?

They're a top gun tribute band

poundhound wrote: »
    @Chelon
    I agree with Ash.J.Williams. I've seen the Australian Pink Floyd show 4 times and Brit Floyd twice.

I've also seen David Gilmour twice and Roger Waters seven times.

There is simply no comparison. Tribute acts are tribute acts. However, I respect your opinion.

Well said. I agree, both the Aussie and Brit Floyd are great tribute bands ( saw an amazing gig in the Bord Gáis Theatre by the Brit Floyd ) but what and whose songs are they singing?

Also Roger playing Danny Boy was a brilliant move, but my night was made with ( I think ) the 2nd track of the night 'One Of These Days'. Up to Tuesday night, I had never heard Roger perform that live. Saw David play it 2 years ago in Wroclaw. Huge contrast between both acts, but both also were brilliant in their own ways.

The Gig was worth every cent of the €132. My only complaint and this has absolutely nothing to do with Roger was the heat in the auditorium - it was melting there. But no complaints from me on the Gig. And I wonder how many 74yo's can go for almost 3 hours?

Roger...Wish You Come Back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Was it for an advertising campaign or what?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Was it for an advertising campaign or what?

I'm not certain Pat, but I think Pieta House had something to do with it.

If it had, and a collection was held, it sure was for a good cause.

Certainly had something to do with World Suicide Preventation Day.

A friend of mine in Denmark sent me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=IXVnKrk9QAc&app=desktop

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

5 years ago today Roger Waters played 'The Wall' in the Aviva stadium. I was there. It was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

A friend of mine in Denmark sent me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=IXVnKrk9QAc&app=desktop

Enjoy!

Great stuff enjoying the full show on YouTube of that Gig. Good quality and sound. Tis a pity they are not playing Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hoping to catch one of Nick Mason's gigs in the UK next year at some point. He's getting great reviews.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Hoping to catch one of Nick Mason's gigs in the UK next year at some point. He's getting great reviews.

My post above: That's a recording of Nick in Copenhagen.

REALLY hope He does cross the Irish Sea.

Time to break open the piggy bank!!!

Dave is auctioning off more than 100 of his own personal guitars including his legendary "Black Strat".
    I would love to be in a position to pick up a piece of music history, but I will just have to settle for the auctioneer's catalogue :( .

David Gilmour’s legendary ‘Black Strat’ comes to auction
    View more than 120 guitars coming to auction from the personal collection of the Pink Floyd singer and songwriter, including the iconic Fender Stratocaster played on The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall.

• Advertisement

The black strat must have developed a fret buzz that he can't get rid of... Might as well move it on :)

Advertisement