Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should all Guards be armed?

Comments

Tomas81 wrote: »
    3 Garda were sacked. Armed Garda for John Morris was sacked fact, I sat in the court when the Commisioner stated it. Read my posts you will see why.

Garda has been suspended without pay in the Portobello issue and won't be ruled lawful guy had just left swan cinema and was shot, Shane Thomas was the injured man's name.

Sorry, you are wrong. Nobody was sacked & that Garda from portobello incident is very much still at work.
    Doesn't matter where the guy was coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

NaFirinne wrote:
    Why not be like America and have everyone that wants to be armed - be armed.

America doesn't strike you as f**ked up when it comes to guns? Recently a little boy shot his sister dead with their mothers gun left in the armrest of the family car.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

bubblypop wrote: »
    Sorry, you are wrong. Nobody was sacked & that Garda from portobello incident is very much still at work.
    Doesn't matter where the guy was coming from.

No he's not at work. Maurice o Sullivan was his name he's off

No he's not at work. Maurice o Sullivan was his name he's off

Lol.
    Right so, now I know you haven't a breeze what you are talking about!
    I can ignore your rubbish from now on.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Lol.
    Right so, now I know you haven't a breeze what you are talking about!
    I can ignore your rubbish from now on.

Ssuuuuure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Can you explain why you don't think Abbeylara was a f**k up?

Explain to me why it was. A deranged man was firing shots at Guards and Garda cars. What should they have done, read him a bed time story?

So portobello bridge when the garda took a man from his car after a cinema date with his partner accused him of an armed robbery then shot him? Was that not a balls up hahaha.

John Morris unarmed burgling a building shot dead, that ok also.

The Garda in Longford shot a man and a dog while under no threat hahaha 3 Garda sacked in those incidents but your saying it was fine. Hahaha

And I'm from Northern Ireland originally well versed in the RUC and PSNI. AGS are worse.

Now you're just talking rubbish, no guards were sacked as a result of this these three incidents. If you can prove me wrong them please do so. I also have experience of the old RUC and new watered down PSNI. They were both shambolic in very different ways

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

NaFirinne wrote: »
    Why not be like America and have everyone that wants to be armed - be armed.

Then we won't need guards we can just protect ourselves.

Because it's a ****ty culture to promote that only leads to high rates of gun crimes and murder. Our current gun laws are a model to copy. Not the yanks.

3 Garda were sacked. Armed Garda for John Morris was sacked fact, I sat in the court when the Commisioner stated it. Read my posts you will see why.

Garda has been suspended without pay in the Portobello issue and won't be ruled lawful guy had just left swan cinema and was shot, Shane Thomas was the injured man's name.

You're a spoofer

• Advertisement

Gerry G wrote:
    Explain to me why it was. A deranged man was firing shots at Guards and Garda cars. What should they have done, read him a bed time story?

You claimed it wasn't a f**k up, onus is on you to back up your claim.

What logic are you using here?

Gerry G wrote:

The logic I am using here is I'm familiar with the Abbeylara incident and the subsequent treatment of the McCarthy family by the guards which leads me to believe it was a monumental f**k up. I suggest you learn the responsibility of making a claim and the fact you will be asked to back it up which you have failed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pale rider

The off duty Garda that engaged the suspects near Portobello with no lights on their car whilst moving close to the scene of an armed robbery deserves a medal.

Suspect with 40 previous offences, cocaine found in the car, gimme a break, don't tackle an armed police officer, idiots.

As for GSOC, was there a report produced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

When there's 3 armed scum raiding your home at 2am and you call the guards they're terrified to come out. They take up to an hour to come to the scene

The logic I am using here is I'm familiar with the Abbeylara incident and the subsequent treatment of the McCarthy family by the guards which leads me to believe it was a monumental f**k up. I suggest you learn the responsibility of making a claim and the fact you will be asked to back it up which you have failed to do.

I'm also familiar with the case. A highly experienced FBI investigator found that the biggest mistake the guards made was that they allowed the standoff to carry on for too long and that and that John Carty should have been shot sooner. As for the Mc Carthy family you're talking about, I don't know who they are but I do know that John Cartys extended family were looking for money from the state after the whole thing. I'm sure they got what they were looking for

Andrew00 wrote: »
    When there's 3 armed scum raiding your home at 2am and you call the guards they're terrified to come out. They take up to an hour to come to the scene

And this is why I asked the original question. I wonder if they were armed would they be quicker to respond to armed incidents? Maybe, maybe not

Gerry G wrote:
    I'm also familiar with the case. A highly experienced FBI investigator found that the biggest mistake the guards made was that they allowed the standoff to carry on for too long and that and that John Carty should have been shot sooner. As for the Mc Carthy family you're talking about, I don't know who they are but I do know that John Cartys extended family were looking for money from the state after the whole thing. I'm sure they got what they were looking for

Where the Mc came from I don't know, but his sister and mother were vilified by the guards and the FBI investigation was a tad more critical of the guards than you are suggesting. The final part of your comment speaks to me of your agenda. I hope you are not in the force or have any connection to it.

Where the Mc came from I don't know, but his sister and mother were vilified by the guards and the FBI investigation was a tad more critical of the guards than you are suggesting. The final part of your comment speaks to me of your agenda. I hope you are not in the force or have any connection to it.

No I'm not in the force but I don't live a million miles from Abbeylara.

• Advertisement

Gerry G wrote:
    No I'm not in the force .

That's good. Goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pale rider

Andrew00 wrote: »

I had occasion to call the guards when I had two men whispering at the rear of my house in the wee hours in my enclosed garden, they walked on gravel which alerted me, the guards were with me in minutes.

They are very stretched but far as I know respond to all calls in the same way regardless.

pale rider wrote: »
    I had occasion to call the guards when I had two men whispering at the rear of my house in the wee hours in my enclosed garden, they walked on gravel which alerted me, the guards were with me in minutes.

They are very stretched but far as I know respond to all calls in the same way regardless.

I had reason to ring them in the last month. They arrived 4 hours later explaining that they had been dealing with some arrested person in the station. I asked them where were the other guards and was told that they were the only car covering 4 towns with a total population of about 6500 thousand people. Madness. I asked wht would happen of I had burglars in my house and they told me that the response time prob wouldn't be much better

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Replies must be on topic for this thread to continue, please and thanks.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tazers should be made available to most at the very least.

Actual guns not to all as I said but more are and will be needed.

The lad was/is a criminal though and didn't follow a lawful order.....

He had left a cinema with his partner which has been proven he was having sex in the car like a kids do and this happened.

He had left a cinema with his partner which has been proven he was having sex in the car like a kids do and this happened.

You're clutching at straws now

Hilarious

• Advertisement

Rubbish.

Advertisement