Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

flazio wrote: »
    So if a dual core like this is prone to that, makes you wonder how quads like HTC One X and Samsung GS3 are coping without fans.

they're not, they're spontaneously combusting in cars :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

flazio wrote: »
    So if a dual core like this is prone to that, makes you wonder how quads like HTC One X and Samsung GS3 are coping without fans.

Android will only activate cores as it needs them(XS runs core 0 only a lot of the time). The one X and S3 I assume heat up a LOT if you force them to full clock on four cores.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Sweet as a nut!!! :pac:

Edit: link

bump.

for those who're not rooted, loads of new SI numbers added to the list since this was first posted

EDIT: going well up until the last digit, so close haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

batistuta9 wrote: »
    bump.

for those who're not rooted, loads of new SI numbers added to the list since this was first posted

EDIT: going well up until the last digit, so close haha

no ICS love for me yet - still waiting on 1 number - its like Telly Bingo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just plugged mine in and it is updating to ICS as I type....will probably make no difference really though...tis already a good phone bar the slight yellow tint.

***EDIT***
    aargh...step 3 of the update crapped out saying there is no software available for my phone..wha???? You just told me there is you silly piece of software!
    Turned the damn phone off on me also.

Currently running 6.0.A.3.75. PC Companion tells me 6.1.A.0.452 is available but wont actually download it at step 3 of the update....server too busy i wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ludo wrote: »
    Just plugged mine in and it is updating to ICS as I type....will probably make no difference really though...tis already a good phone bar the slight yellow tint.

***EDIT***
    aargh...step 3 of the update crapped out saying there is no software available for my phone..wha???? You just told me there is you silly piece of software!
    Turned the damn phone off on me also.

Currently running 6.0.A.3.75. PC Companion tells me 6.1.A.0.452 is available but wont actually download it at step 3 of the update....server too busy i wonder?

What Network are you with?

Waiting on ICS myself

naughtb4 wrote: »
    What Network are you with?

Waiting on ICS myself

Meteor.

hmmm...not looking good to be honest:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1723430&page=81

Announcement on Sony Support about it also:
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/community/support

Meteor.

hmmm...not looking good to be honest:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1723430&page=81

Announcement on Sony Support about it also:
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/community/support

:( i have literally jst started downloading this. Set up for failure now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Some people are getting it officially in Ireland, according to that xda thread?

That was quick!! :pac:

Mine seems to have worked. Will need to have a proper play tonight/maybe do a factory reset and install etc. Seems a bit sluggish at the moment
    and seems to be an issue switching screens

Might be worth trying again now Ludo?

• Advertisement

Mine seems to have worked. Will need to have a proper play tonight/maybe do a factory reset and install etc. Seems a bit sluggish at the moment

Thanks...trying again...goddamn it...crapped out again

First off, wait ten mins then reboot, updates can leave loads of crap open in the background. This should help.

Second, NEVER "upgrade", always wipe the system(can do that right off with flashtool).

ED E wrote: »
    First off, wait ten mins then reboot, updates can leave loads of crap open in the background. This should help.

Second, NEVER "upgrade", always wipe the system(can do that right off with flashtool).

Reboot pc?

What do you mean NEVER upgrade....are you suggesting their upgrade does not work? Surely 99% of people will upgrade...

Reboot pc?

What do you mean NEVER upgrade....are you suggesting their upgrade does not work? Surely 99% of people will upgrade...

No, the phone.

And no, not what I mean. When I said "upgrade" I was referring to an "in place upgrade", where the update changes the system and leaves your apps and data there. In both windows and android this always causes problems or performance issues down the road so its always best to start clean.

No, the phone.

And no, not what I mean. When I said "upgrade" I was referring to an "in place upgrade", where the update changes the system and leaves your apps and data there. In both windows and android this always causes problems or performance issues down the road so its always best to start clean.

What is the best way to "Start Clean" ideally without using Flashtool?

I have backed up using PC Companion, is it possible to factory reset and then restore using this?

Installed SUS (Sony Update Software) rather than PC Companion and update now in progress.....DONE

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Just updated no problem through Sony Update Centre. No need to factory reset. Impressed with ICS so far :) Got a white Xperia S on meteor!

Just updated no problem through Sony Update Centre. No need to factory reset. Impressed with ICS so far :) Got a white Xperia S on meteor!

Impressed with what exactly? Only thing I really noticed so far is the font appears different in most apps (plume/dolphin, etc).
    No obvious difference really so far....what am I missing?

No, the phone.

What is the best way to "Start Clean" ideally without using Flashtool?

I have backed up using PC Companion, is it possible to factory reset and then restore using this?
    Factory reset does the same thing as flashtool's wipe command, but restoring a seus backup might null the whole process, depending on how in depth it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Impressed with what exactly? Only thing I really noticed so far is the font appears different in most apps (plume/dolphin, etc).
    No obvious difference really so far....what am I missing?

Find the swipe more responsive the phone seems to boot faster, all in all the phone runs better, no doubt improving battery life. I like the new texts and fonts, i think the software feels less outdated.

And get all technical if you want but i'm a smartphone newbie and am glad i upgraded that's just my opinion!!

• Advertisement

Seems to be some comments on ICS battery drain on XDA

Only thing i have really noticed is the notification bar is ALOT smaller and the music app seems to be interfering with some of the shortcuts buttons i had configured for double twist.

Wish Sony would release a stock music + podcast player

Factory reset does the same thing as flashtool's wipe command, but restoring a seus backup might null the whole process, depending on how in depth it is.

so when updating you should backup everything >> factory reset >> then do the update, right?

also is this just for OS versions or firmware updates too

I think I'm getting great battery life on ICS compared to GB!

More than 36 hours usage, and still 16% battery :D

Screenshot_2012_06_27_20_26_11.png
    Screenshot_2012_06_27_20_26_24.png

Is it just me or is the market (play or whatever it is called now) no longer able to update more than one app at a time? I have a fair few to update after moving to ICS and if I kick off more than one at a time, nothing downloads until I cancel them all and start them one at a time.

Is it just me or is the market (play or whatever it is called now) no longer able to update more than one app at a time? I have a fair few to update after moving to ICS and if I kick off more than one at a time, nothing downloads until I cancel them all and start them one at a time.

Must just be you :(, i updated 40 or so tonight

Yeah, I just updated 7 there, all automatic after I pressed the update button :)

Is it just me though, or do they update 1 at a time now, rather than all at once, like I remember before?

Fifa 12 is free on the Play Now Store as an FYI, not sure of the price on market

Wait no only a trial version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah, I just updated 7 there, all automatic after I pressed the update button :)

Is it just me though, or do they update 1 at a time now, rather than all at once, like I remember before?

Same here, noticed tonight

batistuta9 wrote: »
    so when updating you should backup everything >> factory reset >> then do the update, right?

also is this just for OS versions or firmware updates too

Yep, backup then wipe and update or backup then update and wipe, either works.

Nah, minor updates dont bother with this, just major revisions :)

• Advertisement

I'm still on GB but when your updating them some app's get grouped together (all the google ones are always like this i've noticed + a few others) and you press just update for them all, but other's don't get included in this group for some reason & you've to selected it then update from it's page on play

@marcbrophy the ones in the group are updating 1 by 1 on GB too, so maybe a change from play rather than ICS

EDIT: does anyone else feel their starting to take the piss with permissions?
    Why do apps like TuneIn Radio & DI radio need access to phone state & identity

Advertisement