Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audax Rides

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You possibly could submit it as a permanent. Just looking at this year's route it's no worse than the Excelsior.
    guanciale wrote: »
    Given that it covers many of the same roads and climbs it is questionable as to whether it should be a permanent?
    I have an allergy to climbing and a severe allergy to steep climbs.

Possibly the lack of suitable controls between the shortest distances would mean it could not be done as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

CramCycle wrote: »
    Possibly the lack of suitable controls between the shortest distances would mean it could not be done as is.

Was just an idle thought. I know nothing about Audax beyond the fact that you are all nuts.

Someone should build a 24 hour Spar at the Sally Gap. That would solve so many problems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

daragh_ wrote: »
    Was just an idle thought. I know nothing about Audax beyond the fact that you are all nuts.

Someone should build a 24 hour Spar at the Sally Gap. That would solve so many problems.

I remember from an AGM years ago, a discussion about accepting GPS files for it. NamelessPhil might know better than I did they agree on this. I think the agreement was at the organisers discretion, so it is not impossible.

Years ago though, you needed to have unique control points which meant the shortest route between two points was equal to the official route, so there was no way to take shortcuts, which either meant a receipt with time and date from the location, or the organiser to have set up a stamp or question that was not easily answered unless you had been to the location.

I remember once walking upto a cottage as the control had packed up slightly early and I arrived with minutes to spare. So I knocked on the door of the house and had to explain why I wanted them to sign a card to prove I was there, I even got their mobile number if the organiser wanted to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

For my own permanent, I just accept GPS files or photos of receipts/landmarks. I don't issue a brevet card and I make suggestions for stopping points.

This is acceptable for the RRTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Midleton 200 Audax completed today (along with about another 30 riders)
    Know the route really well at this stage,a mixed day,rain until about midday and then it turned into a really lovely afternoon and pleasantly mild.
    Actually got to ride on dry roads for a couple of hours,amazing!

Great to catch up with a few old friends on the road.
    My first 200 of the year so am feeling it a bit now

Many thanks to the organiser who always does a brilliant job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Rode Midelton 200 today also, my 7th time I think and slowest by a distance but loved it. 2 30km spins a week for last 12 months will do that!

Sound bunch on road, and the wind and rain for first half was fine. The sunny finish was lovely.

On a side note, the organiser with his broken hip drove the route on Wednesday to check it for today. Did up detailed note on issues following a storm and added a wonderful detour. Some lads just for things the right way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Very pleasant Tara 200 yesterday (Sunday 11 March). As usual, amazing organisation and support (and all the boiled eggs you can eat!).

Surprisingly hilly first half, but the second half was a bit handier.

38960338990_478c33aa15.jpgflickr

26883191838_effc2960b9.jpgwinter riders 1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Orwell 200 - I registered using my work email so will have no access to it before Sunday's rescheduled ride. If it's postponed again I'd appreciate it if someone could post here. I don't wish to be looking like an orphan outside Joe Daly's at 7am on Sunday morning. :)

(Nothing yet on Orwell's website). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Wishbone Ash, I can post an update for Orwell 200 if anything crops up.

Thanks Resoguy - appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Orwell 200 - I registered using my work email so will have no access to it before Sunday's rescheduled ride. If it's postponed again I'd appreciate it if someone could post here. I don't wish to be looking like an orphan outside Joe Daly's at 7am on Sunday morning. :)

(Nothing yet on Orwell's website). Thanks.

No email updates at this stage, so currently looking like goer

Orwell 200 cancelled due to weather in JDs at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Thats some spirit, with a matching pair of balls :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1460049228

Alek wrote: »

Just thought I would add a quick note on my Orwell 200 Audax Route spin posted above by Alek
    I got to Joe Dalys around 6.40am yesterday, the guys had laid out a great spread of tea, coffee, biscuits & cake, but at that stage the organisers had decided to cancel the event. I thought as I was there with a bike ready for a cycle I may as well head off and see how I would get on.
    It was a good spin, there was medium to light snow for about 75% of the route, and once cars started hitting the road about 75% of the route was clear tarmac the rest was a mix of snow with car tracks and slush. Some great snowy scenery particularly from the Curragh to Rathcoole. The eastern wind on the route home was the toughest element of the day. After the climbs leading up the Rathcoole my legs had had it so it was slow and steady home.
    I had switched out my gravelish tires which I had on over the winter for 37mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers for the Audax, not an ideal tire for the day as it turned out, but they worked fine on the early morning snow with just the occasional shimmy, thankfully not to many snowy bends on the route.
    All good anyway and great day out on the bike.

Savage going Resoguy. I don't think I could have faced that bitterly cold eastery wind for 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ya gotta face it when you're 100k from home and nobody's gonna come get you...

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Ya gotta face it when you're 100k from home and nobody's gonna come get you...

I'm fervently hoping that the abive sentiment gets me through the Fleche on Good Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

So whos doing the Fleche?

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Myself and the Rollingscone are part of a team, we'll be doing a civilised ride from Dublin to Nenagh and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

Myself and the Rollingscone are part of a team, we'll be doing a civilised ride from Dublin to Nenagh and back again.

Might see ye on the return leg which will take us from Nenagh to Dublin

• Advertisement

I won't be but I'm gonna ride the Little Carlingford 200 on thursday. Anyone interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I won't be but I'm gonna ride the Little Carlingford 200 on thursday. Anyone interested?

No...gotta work. But if you're interested to ride the cancelled Orwell 200 on Sunday, I'm seriously considering it. Forecast is pretty good. What a difference a week can make.

Alas, I'm unavailable on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Good stuff. We're doing a similar route to the National 400. Nothing fancy.

Rollingscone - you doing it SS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Civilised you say?

This can be all yours during the night. We maxed out a 2hr control here on two Fleches.

#youcanhaveyourbusshelters

20km return trip for a home brewed beer and mead will be height of my cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Good stuff. We're doing a similar route to the National 400. Nothing fancy.

Rollingscone - you doing it SS?

Nope. Hard to ride in a group on SS. Also I bonked doing a 200 on it....so.

This year the pubs will be open for the first time. I'm hoping that the Gardai are on the ball and that we don't meet any drunk drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Anyone know if the registration is open yet for the Mick Byrne event? When I click on the link in the audax website its saying sold out but think that's an old link?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Opened a couple of weeks ago.
    14th March to be exact.

https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/qEPTP7SQq

• Advertisement

Rode the Little Carlingford 200 yesterday. Full Value 13h15 and barely made the last train home. Lovely day, got wet up in the Cooley Mountains, punctured twice 1km and 5 hours apart and got drowned in the last 15km to the finish and the train.

That's month 8 of an RRTY complete.

I wonder how the folks will get on tonight on the Fleche?...

Advertisement