Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

• 24-08-2019 12:44pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, let's get this crack-a-lackin.

Welcome everyone to our Walrus Reveal Thread!

I'm Necro, your co-hostest with the mostest

GloomyUnderstatedCrownofthornsstarfish-size_restricted.gif

And it's finally time to reveal my co-judge and the brains of the operation.

tumblr_p7lxtdtbOn1tei0zyo5_250.gif

GARY SINISE!!

Wait... that's not right... although his hair is as equally amazing.
    It's Stu Redman - Stephen King fans will get it

Anyways Stu and I have been delighted to receive 17 entries for the following 6 categories, and we've been casting our shackles aside and listening with fervour to them for the past 2 weeks.

Firstly, the categories:

1. The Ballad of Chacey Lain
    2. Favourite Irish Song
    3. A Song For Europe
    4. Lord/Lady of the Dance
    5. 'Forever Young'
    6. Best Song In The World

So... how is this going to work given this is a first (on Boards) attempt at co-judging categories.

What if Stu loves a tune and Necro wants to burn it with fire?
    What if Necro loves a song and Stu thinks it's only ok?

Well here's basically how this is going to work.

Both of us will score the entries out of 17 - the number of entries we have. Points will be applied from 1 right up to 17 with maybe some divergences if there are duplicate entries.

We have not communicated (much anyways) to each other at all our preferences until compiling, nor did we pay any attention to who actually submitted what.

We will alternate turns at doing the reveal - so I will go first, Stu second, me third, Stu fourth and myself 5th - and then we will do a joint reveal for the final category.

Here's a basic idea of how the judging will go:

1st - Oasis - The Masterplan

Necro: Here is where Necro would write his bit about the song, whether he likes it or not (it's Oasis, it's fooking masterful), hopefully a decent few words since the fcuker was able to make 800+ posts in a game of WW!! Can also say something like 'It's such a pleasure to have Stu on board' if he likes...which he probably will.

Stu Redman: I love Oasis, best band of all time - Necro is right you're all wrong!!

Scores:

Necro: 1st
    Stu Redman: 1st

Total 17 points

submitted by:

This is obviously a direct quote from Stu above, ask him yourself if you doubt me
    May not be a direct quote from Stu

First reveal is scheduled for tomorrow evening. Will inform you all of what time at some stage tomorrow:)

——————————————

Playlist for all songs submitted per round:

The Ballad of Chasey Lain

Favourite Irish Songs

A Song for Europe

Forever Young

Lord/Lady Of The Dance

Best Song In The World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

17! Wow. I feel so betrayed right now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Well this should be interesting :)

Necro: "Hey Stu, fancy coming up with a couple of categories to judge in Walrus?"

Stu: "Sure buddy, I can listen to some tunes."

*some time passes*

Necro: "Come ere you might judge them all with me, sure why not!"

Stu:

AWlOLIm.gif

Que 6 playlists, 104 songs, and me having flashbacks to last August's Stephen King WW preparations. Quickbeam has done so well not to get an SOS from me :D

Seriously though, it's been great fun and has taken me out of my comfort zone. Thanks to Necro for bringing me in on this.

This first category, The Ballad of Chasey Lain, was really tough to score but for all the right reasons. There was only one song I hated :pac:

You might be surprised Necro, but Oasis were the greatest band in the world for me back then, especially when that Masterplan B-Sides album was released.

The very first band I was in we played mostly Oasis and Manics songs, a lot of them, and the really deep cuts too...

LOL...our mothers and aunties coming to gigs to hear this sorta stuff. "Ah aren't they....great :/ "

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I LOVED that Manics album.

My mate had OCD about the Manics and followed them everywhere.

Actually this would have been a great entry for the first category for me anyways

(Not the same album, but you get where I'm going)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I actually sang that song for my Music Practical in JC, and two mates playing the guitar riffs behind me.

Ah... simpler times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I just realised I got the category order wrong, it should be obvious - but if it isn't my 3 is your 4 and vice versa. :D

Can't wait to hear everyone's choice.

giphy.gif

Pretzill wrote: »
    I just realised I got the category order wrong, it should be obvious - but if it isn't my 3 is your 4 and vice versa. :D

Can't wait to hear everyone's choice.

You're grand, you had the categories handily listed beside your entries ;)

Not too long to go now until we reveal the list of songs and their rankings, which will decide who wins this first round of this prestigious competition, where we asked to receive songs from the entrants for us to then go off and listen and decide carefully which song places highest and which song places lowest, here in this competition to see just whooooo....is the King of the Walruses...Walrei oh no wait it is Walruses.

TLR6ipG.jpg

Aiming to kick this off sometime around 6.30-7pm folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Necro: "Hey Stu, fancy coming up with a couple of categories to judge in Walrus?"

Stu: "Sure buddy, I can listen to some tunes."

*some time passes*

Necro: "Come ere you might judge them all with me, sure why not!"

Stu:

AWlOLIm.gif

Que 6 playlists, 104 songs, and me having flashbacks to last August's Stephen King WW preparations. Quickbeam has done so well not to get an SOS from me :D

Seriously though, it's been great fun and has taken me out of my comfort zone. Thanks to Necro for bringing me in on this.

This first category, The Ballad of Chasey Lain, was really tough to score but for all the right reasons. There was only one song I hated :pac:

Now I'm nervous.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Now I'm nervous.

Whoever submitted it, I hope they don't take offence or anything personal from it.

After all, I didn't when I had to listen to it :pac:

The Ballad of Chasey Lain. A croony love song or an anthem of power? We just LOVE our ballads. Send us one that you just can’t get out of your head.

This was a tough category to define given Necro's wide parameters for an accessible first round to kick us off. This category's interpretation isn't exactly 'what it says on the tin'. Not as binary as other categories in our game.

So I'm kind of going for epic here, moving melodies, varied instrumentation, memorable choruses, moods created with the instrumentation and arrangement, can the artist write/sing about love? If not, can they get me off my seat to do my own interpretation of dancing?

Kate Bush, she could sing about love...

This is certainly an anthem to make people get off their seats and sing along...

See you this evening folks.

Interestingly no one decided to go for the song that inspired the name of this category ;)

NSFW, folks:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,644 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

When I read the thread title I just see...

ff6738f83747060eafd4a7af4964cd8f.1000x1000x1.jpg

While you're all waiting for the reveal to start, I'm pleased to say we have 17 tracks tonight.

No duplicates entered for this category anyways. :)

I enjoyed all but maybe 2 of the entries myself. And even then they aren't bad per se, but just not my cup of tea to be honest.

Sorting this category was difficult, and finding reasons to do so even more so. Very enjoyable though nonetheless.

I do post a lot but I'm not as articulate as Stu, so hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Necro wrote: »
    Aiming to kick this off sometime around 6.30-7pm folks :)

FG gon be hoppin' tonight!

:):):)

Just double checked my entry, cocky...
    "No messing around, just the best rock ballad of all time!"

Don't break my heart guys :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Looking forward to my first Walrus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

kitten_k wrote: »
    Looking forward to my first Walrus

Me too.

But nervous because I have ****e taste in music.

Wooden spoon awaits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I think I'm sunk because I hate ballads, so I didn't pick one. But I love my entry nonetheless.

Ok we'll be getting underway shortly.

I mentioned Motorcycle Emptiness previously which would have been something I'd personally enter into this category.

Another example of something I'd like if I was going for a song with a bit less 'oomph' though would be this:

Just the quintessential chilling song for me. Stick on my sweats, crack open a brewski.

About 10 mins and we can kick things off, just need to get my sh1t in order seeing as I have the honour of hosting the first category reveal (Thanks Stu :cool: now I'll be the one getting the funny looks) :D

Interesting fact: Nobody tried to bribe me by submitting Westlife this category.

But did someone pick Oasis...

Well we'll have to see ;)

Also I have to say welcome to our new players for the game:

sullivlo
    Banjo
    kitten_k
    Sheridan81
    Tammy!

5 new players along with our regulars (Homer J. Fong's second Walrus iirc)

Thanks for all your submissions folks, I've had fun the past few weeks :)

Ok let's get started. I won't torture you with top 3/bottom 3 for this category.

Save it for another one... maybe :P

Stu will be along shortly I'm sure as well to jam with us all :D

17th Place: Jane Siberry - It Can’t Rain All The Time

Necro: So yeah, this just wasn’t my thing at all. The main singer kinda warbles in and out of tune a few times and it just became a bit hard to listen to. Like I can see what the aim of the song is I think but her voice and the way she strains so much to hit the higher notes in this one just really puts me off. Sorry :(

Stu Redman: Out of the 2-3 songs I've never heard before in this round, this one I definitely gave the most listens to in order to try and crack. Even still, we just didn't mesh. If I loved The Crow movie and knew this song since then, no doubt it would carry a lot of emotional weight with me. Now though, I think the moment is gone for me. It has got some fantastic ambient guitars, Jane Siberry is clearly a talented singer, but overall the song is stopping and starting too much, there are a few chord changes which just pull me out of the song. It is quite a journey, but unfortunately I don't think it's one for me.

Scores:
    Necro: 17th
    Stu: 16th

1 point to
    Sheridan81

16th Place: Paul Brady - Arthur Mc Bride

Necro: This is ok. Yeah, ok. I’m not massively gone on it though. There’s much better entries, there are also worse. I gave this a few listens but I just couldn’t get into it in the way I did the ones above it. Couple of more relistens and yeah I’m just the same now as I was then.

Stu Redman: I must go carefully here. This is a category which isn't so easily defined, but I did want to hear epic love ballads or power anthems rather than old style ballads and folk songs. BUT - It's Paul Brady singing Arthur McBride. In a more fitting category, the next round even, this goes near the top of my list without even knowing what the other entries are, but in this category? It brings me to a place I'm just not expecting. The Long Goodbye would have likely top fived this category for me, but I reluctantly have to place Arthur McBride near the bottom. I love it, just not for this round.

Scores:
    Necro: 15th
    Stu: 15th

2 points to
    MicksJaguar

Oof, welcome to Walrus Sheridan :(

We've all been there, it'll get better!

Necro wrote: »
    While you're all waiting for the reveal to start, I'm pleased to say we have 17 tracks tonight.

No duplicates entered for this category anyways. :)

I enjoyed all but maybe 2 of the entries myself. And even then they aren't bad per se, but just not my cup of tea to be honest.

Sorting this category was difficult, and finding reasons to do so even more so. Very enjoyable though nonetheless.

I do post a lot but I'm not as articulate as Stu, so hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to say :pac:

I do prefer 'articulate' to 'verbose', cheers Necro :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Oof, welcome to Walrus Sheridan :(

We've all been there, it'll get better!

Not always :D

Advertisement