Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same. The scumbag element to their support and the fact both would be known as Irelands/Englands shame to other clubs fans would be the reasons.

Would you be referring to heysel stadium incident when you say that Liverpool are ‘englands shame’ to other clubs......?

Do shamrock rovers have a similar shameful incident in their history....?

Maybe I should have said both are the most hated clubs by other clubs in their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Ah the old, "I was at a game before, I was in de shed and the language was awful, the guys in the green and white were playing the guys in black and red but I can't remember when it was or what the score was"

Maybe they should of watched a match on tv first and then when they were familiar with the players then went to a live match

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Maybe I should have said both are the most hated clubs by other clubs in their country.

I don't get your point, are you saying that's why there's more foreign fans like from Ireland?

I agree, Liverpool are one of the best football clubs on the planet right now.....
    along with ManU, Chelsea, ManCity, Spurs, West Ham, not forgetting Accrington Stanley :D

Well, no. I mean literally top 5 teams that you could watch. Man City I agree would also be up there but you haven't a clue lumping those others in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Greyfox wrote: »
    Maybe they should of watched a match on tv first and then when they were familiar with the players then went to a live match

In what universe does that logic make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I am not begrudging anyone who supports an English team, I've been a big fan of Man Utd for 40 years myself but I think the EPL is more entertainment than sport so it's a good thing to watch on a cold, deary winter's day. It is certainly marketed as entertainment. It becomes more of an emotional investment when you become attached/follow a particular team. Also, these superstars are constantly on TV, being talked and tweeted/etc about rather than the everyday local League Of Ireland player.

I really think if you are a true lover of the sport, you would support your local team. I know people will complain about the quality and the facilities but these problems will never get better until there is sustained quality support i.e. butts in seats. To get better quality players and better facilities you need $$$. Investors will not invest because they need a ROI and when they see only a handful of fans they won't invest. Media won't cover it again due to the lack of support. It's like a circle: no fans->no publicity->no investment. As I said at the top, I don't begrudge someone being a fan of an EPL team but I do when they said they won't follow LOI because of the quality. Just look in the mirror. That's the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The English don't have a culture.

Eh, Dickens, a lot of great films and books,the Beatles, and lots of other stuff, including Association Football before it became a soap opera at top level owned and played by deracinated vastly wealthy and in many cases pretty nasty characters.

But in general their culture like ours is being swamped by lowest common denominator cr@p.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How about everyone goes for a check up every year and if they are overweight, have high blood pressure, smoke, have high cholesterol etc. they have to pay an extra €100 a month in tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Eh, Dickens, a lot of great films and books,the Beatles, and lots of other stuff, including Association Football before it became a soap opera at top level owned and played by deracinated vastly wealthy and in many cases pretty nasty characters.

But in general their culture like ours is being swamped by lowest common denominator cr@p.

Also rugby and fish and chips.:)

Lux23 wrote: »
    How about everyone goes for a check up every year and if they are overweight, have high blood pressure, smoke, have high cholesterol etc. they have to pay an extra €100 a month in tax?

Does that then go to the LOI or something? Are you confusing supporting with participating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Bonniedog wrote: »

Also gentleman’s games like golf and cricket

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Also gentleman’s games like golf and cricket

Is golf not Scottish?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

salmocab wrote: »
    Is golf not Scottish?

St Andrews home of golf - Scotland . I think your correct

In what universe does that logic make sense?

Watching live football is great when your very emotionally invested but if someone is at there first Airtricity match there not invested yet so there not guaranteed to have a great time at the actual match. For some people knowing some of the players and understanding the rivalrys would make it more likely for them to enjoy the match.

Watching live football is great when your very emotionally invested but if someone is at there first Airtricity match there not invested yet so there not guaranteed to have a great time at the actual match. For some people knowing some of the players and understanding the rivalrys would make it more likely for them to enjoy the match.

And that relates to you talking out your hole how.

The tonnes of new LOI fans at the game in Tallaght beg to differ also,

And that relates to you talking out your hole how.

The tonnes of new LOI fans at the game in Tallaght beg to differ also,

You should actually read what I said before you post. We both know that not everyone has a great time at there first Airtricity match, most might but not everyone will.

You should actually read what I said before you post. We both know that not everyone has a great time at there first Airtricity match, most might but not everyone will.

And you should actually read what I said because I was saying your "I've been to 3 dublin derbys" was a load of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Lux23 wrote: »

It’s taxing enough trying to haul ass to a match as of late. Last check up was the same perennial mid table mediocrity we can’t seem to get out of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

This reminds me of a child in the playground responding to a slagging by saying I know you are but what am I. I'm no wum, there's nothing wrong with preferring football on tv as long as you also give live football a chance. The fact of the matter is your not able to prove that you know more about football than your average barstooler so its pointless trying. If someones knowledge of football is just the Airtricity league thats a very limited amount of football knowledge. A huge part of football is a clubs history, rivalries, great players, passionate fans and success and its in area's like these that EPL clubs are far superior. You cant just tell people they have to follow the Airtricity league, instead you need to try to persuade people like others on here have done.

What the hell does this even mean, if not in the context of success?

And you should actually read what I said because I was saying your "I've been to 3 dublin derbys" was a load of ****e.

What you were saying is a load of sh**e, I've been to Pats v bohs, v rovers and v Shelbourne, I've watched Pats play live about 8 times and they were good night's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

8-10 wrote: »
    Well, no. I mean literally top 5 teams that you could watch. Man City I agree would also be up there but you haven't a clue lumping those others in

Lol short live.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Lol short live.

What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What does that mean?

Since 2010 Liverpool had the least top 4 positions and the least top 6 positions among the top six clubs.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Since 2010 Liverpool had the least top 4 positions and the least top 6 positions among the top six clubs.

From 2010 - 2019 Liverpool weren't one of the best teams in the world though?

I was talking about the current team not the ones under Hodgson, Kenny, Rodgers etc...those were not good teams mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Ya but your Dad wasn't from Liverpool was he?
    So what?
    I’m not from the US, but wear US clothing.
    Not from Italy, but regularly eat Italian cuisine.
    I’m Irish, but will drink a Swedish cider.
    Am I only limited to Irish clothing/food/drink as well as football?

What is it with so many LOI fans, that they can’t just follow what they want without the typical moaning about what other people do with their time/money/life.

So what?
    I’m not from the US, but wear US clothing.
    Not from Italy, but regularly eat Italian cuisine.
    I’m Irish, but will drink a Swedish cider.
    Am I only limited to Irish clothing/food/drink as well as football?

What is it with so many LOI fans, that they can’t just follow what they want without the typical moaning about what other people do with their time/money/life.

I am yet to get a decent explanation from anyone at to why they care. Argument seems to be money for the LOI being lost. I think it's jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I am yet to get a decent explanation from anyone at to why they care. Argument seems to be money for the LOI being lost. I think it's jealousy.

And if you wanted to split hairs ,is`nt SSE a British company?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've given fair and reasoned posts on here and I'm not gonna go through them all again. One thing I'll say is I do not suffer from any jealousy. My team scored an 89th minute winner away last night and we're on the brink of going to Europe. It was mental celebrating with the team after we all made the trip. No jealousy at all. I think the people missing those type of moments are the ones missing out to be very honest.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    And if you wanted to split hairs ,is`nt SSE a British company?

I don't understand your point? I have no idea where SSE is from

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've given fair and reasoned posts on here and I'm not gonna go through them all again. One thing I'll say is I do not suffer from any jealousy. My team scored an 89th minute winner away last night and we're on the brink of going to Europe. It was mental celebrating with the team after we all made the trip. No jealousy at all. I think the people missing those type of moments are the ones missing out to be very honest.

But do you actually care if I support Liverpool, and the reasons why I support them? I didn't get that from your posts but I keep getting it from others

Advertisement