Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartment heating options

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

2011 wrote: »
    That will depend on the coefficient of performance (COP). My understanding is that air source heat pumps typically have a COP of 3 to 3.5

A COP of 3 would mean that a given heat pump would produce 3 units of heat energy for every 1 unit of electricity it consumes. This would mean that for the same heat output the heat pump would consume ⅓ of the electricity that the storage heaters would use.

I don't think the setup described by wandererz is powered by a heat pump at all - looks to be plug in electric. So costs should be similar to other on demand electric heating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭farmerval

The setup in most modern student accommodation is a storage heater in the kitchen living area and in the hallway with panel heaters in the bedrooms.

The two storage heaters would be dual heaters with a panel heater also installed for instant heat.

Go into any Electrical wholesaler and they will give you the details.

Dimplex and Farho are among the several Irish makes available.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ercork wrote: »
    I don't think the setup described by wandererz is powered by a heat pump at all - looks to be plug in electric. So costs should be similar to other on demand electric heating systems.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. My bad.

I thought I was responding to a post that was looking for a comparison of storage heaters V air source heat pumps. However I stand by my post for this comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

Yes, you are absolutely correct. My bad.

I thought I was responding to a post that was looking for a comparison of storage heaters V air source heat pumps. However I stand by my post for this comparison.

I agree. Some of the newer ones quote a COP of 4 or 5 but realistically I would say it is closer to what you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Was round in a 1 bed apartment today, with the heat pump guys, pump does hot water and five or six aluminium radiators. Apartment is Ber A2. Lads reckon a six grand install cost for the pumps, rads etc. And a frankly unbelievable running cost of 120 euro per year. Have photos but can't figure out how to post them at the minute, long day

• Advertisement

Here we go

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kramer1 wrote: »
    And a frankly unbelievable running cost of 120 euro per year. Have photos but can't figure out how to post them at the minute, long day

I am a big fan of heat pumps, but that sounds a little too good to be true. It would be nice to see the calculation behind that.

I am a big fan of heat pumps, but that sounds a little too good to be true. It would be nice to see the calculation behind that.

Agreed, sounds like nonsense

Advertisement