Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forty Coats

Options
  • 12-05-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Never could work out WTF was going on with his 40 Coats and 50 pockets :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-KnZVseNnY

Don't remember him speaking in rhymes like this I have to say but then again I was a nipper!

I remember slightly bonkers though and The Whirlygig?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Slightly Bonkers' granny and my granny were first cousins:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

For some odd reason the smell of oranges always reminds me of Fortycoats. I think it came out in the Autum and as kids we used to eat buckets of mandarin oranges...

I remember Sofarsogood and slightly bonkers had mad pigtails i think :D

What year did it come out? Im 35, trying to remember how old i was :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

and his copy of a tardis. It had to have been early eighties, 83 or 84 maybe.

I loved it, was very strange to me as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

the other thing that always confused me as a kid. Forty coats would have more than fifty pockets.
    If it was just a name, why was he wearing so many coats then.
    And finally wouldnt wearing forty coats be really hot.

I thought about this too much as a kid didnt i :-):-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Slightly Bonkers............. Georgie burgess's wife in the snapper........... Slightly Bonkers is right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

:D Yes, I noticed how old she was when they showed it on TV3 a while back. She must have been about 40 when she was kitted out in that ridiculous school uniform. Gawd, no wonder it drove her on to become a barrister http://www.barcouncil.ie/barristers/Ms_Virginia_Cole_McColgan/921/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

As far as i know slightly bonkers was the first woman in Ireland to get a divorce here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

padd b1975 wrote: »
    As far as i know slightly bonkers was the first woman in Ireland to get a divorce here!!

From Georgie Bleedin' Burgess??:D:D
    ah that sharon curley wan whah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Can anyone confirm was there a radio series of Fortycoats & Co as well as the TV series? I'm almost certain there was. Can't find any info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

mikom wrote: »
    Slightly Bonkers............. Georgie burgess's wife in the snapper........... Slightly Bonkers is right.

She died in real life, sadly :(

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »
    :D Yes, I noticed how old she was when they showed it on TV3 a while back. She must have been about 40 when she was kitted out in that ridiculous school uniform. Gawd, no wonder it drove her on to become a barrister http://www.barcouncil.ie/barristers/Ms_Virginia_Cole_McColgan/921/

Granted it's an 11 year old post, I'd no idea TV3 showed it, does anyone know was it just on some clips show or did they repeat it proper?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's a bit odd looking back on it now.
    The real Fortycoats was a homeless guy and the Wanderlys, I guess they'd be classed as travellers.

What was the story with Sofar, the posh guy? Was he supposed to be a schoolboy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What was the story with Sofar? Was he supposed to be a schoolboy?

He was a butler No?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    He was a butler No?

Not sure. He had a uniform that looked vaguely like what an Edwardian English public schoolboy would wear. I remember he would do this odd affected thing with his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What was the story with Sofar, the posh guy? Was he supposed to be a schoolboy?

I think the two of them were supposed to be schoolchildren. What were they, 20 or 25 years old at that time?

I think the two of them were supposed to be schoolchildren. What were they, 20 or 25 years old at that time?

Well as another poster pointed out Virginia Cole aka Slightly Bonkers must have been at least 40. Guy playing Sofar was no spring chicken either. Looks at least mid 30s in pictures.

Clip turned up on Youtube in the last couple of days. The intro is included here. One thing I can never remember is what Sofar and Slightly were doing flying about in that tuckshop with Fortycoats. Slightly has a line of dialogue here about trying to get back to the real world, were they trapped in an alternate dimension or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Thanks for linking the video. That brings back some sweet memories. Happy days! :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

One of the few plotlines I can remember had Fortycoats lose one of his coats, maybe the Whirlygig Witch got hold of it, and I think it was indicated if he didn't get it back he'd die as he had to have forty coats on the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Think I remember that one. Didn't he keep saying how cold he was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Virginia Cole was I believe 36-37 when it started. Born in 1947.

She was later replaced by 20something Rosemary Fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

This thread is so far so good 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It was featured on a TV3 programme around 15 years ago - History of Irish Kids TV - shown in 3 parts. I still have it on my DVD-Recorder's hard drive but the remote isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Fortycoats aka Fran Dempsey turns up on rte radio 1 each Christmas Eve as another alter ego. I thinks he’s been doing it for 40 years at this stage. Was also a part of Mike Murphy’s hidden camera wind up team in the 70s/80s

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Classic stuff, but highly strange. Between Forty Coats and Wanderly Wagon, I think RTE were on something stronger than Guinness back in the day.

RIP Conal Kearney, who played Sofar. He died in early January but I only saw about it in a FB post now. He'd been working as a drama coach in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement