Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat or mouse

• 24-01-2020 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

If anyone is able to identify a rodent in a trap by looking at the head could they pm me and I’ll send them the pic. Should have taken pic including the tail but have already disposed of the body thinking it was a mouse but have since been suggested otherwise.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

munster87 wrote: »
    If anyone is able to identify a rodent in a trap by looking at the head could they pm me and I’ll send them the pic. Should have taken pic including the tail but have already disposed of the body thinking it was a mouse but have since been suggested otherwise.
    Thanks.

Im intrigued to know are you writing a head stone ?
    As it's now deaseased why else would it matter as both are in the rodent category and the method for dealing with both is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

LenWoods wrote: »
    Im intrigued to know are you writing a head stone ?
    As it's now deaseased why else would it matter as both are in the rodent category and the method for dealing with both is the same.

Well if you have rats around the house they not as friendly as mice... More disease etc

Well if you have rats around the house they not as friendly as mice... More disease etc

Ok,
    Not looking to derail the thread but we had a rat once,

I had removed the downstairs toilet under stairs toilet and blanked the drain with a 4" rubber plug
    It stayed like that for six months until the area was tiled and became a storage area,
    I didn't know it had been there atall until I could smell the drain in the hallway and upon investigation to the area;
    J found rat droppings and the entire rubber but chewed up in to pieces smaller than a grain of rice,

I then purchased an entire U-bend and cap to contain a reservoir of water, the toilet is fitted now again,
    Was scary finding it all chewed and frightening to think it travelled through the sewerage system we live in a large town

Also saw one outside my local Aldi last Thursday morning while waiting for it to open; it was washing his face at a puddle in the car park, fairly big too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭munster87

Yes same method to get rid but just was wondering which I’m dealing with. I couldn’t find many droppings (any basically) in the attic, must give it a proper search tomorrow. Would be great if it was a once off but chance of that is slim.

munster87 wrote: »
    Yes same method to get rid but just was wondering which I’m dealing with. I couldn’t find many droppings (any basically) in the attic, must give it a proper search tomorrow. Would be great if it was a once off but chance of that is slim.

If theres is more; your sure to catch atleast one in the coming days as the temperature is dropping lower;
    Cooked bacon tied on with sewing thread is excellent bait
    Cheese is off the menu with these new generation of millennial rodents
    Also check for any obvious locations where there able to access your attic space.

• Advertisement

LenWoods wrote: »
    If theres is more; your sure to catch atleast one in the coming days as the temperature is dropping lower;
    Cooked bacon tied on with sewing thread is excellent bait
    Cheese is off the menu with these new generation of millennial rodents
    Also check for any obvious locations where there able to access your attic space.

I’ll grab a few more traps tomorrow. The traps have actually been in the attic for a couple of years untouched! It was a rat trap that got him, I’ve 2 of them set and 2 mouse traps. I used to use peanut butter in them but I’ll give the bacon a shot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Or melt some chocolate onto the trap, they can be very nifty at stealing the food from the trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

Get a Mars Ba ..... Oh, never mind :rolleyes:

I didn’t realize you can’t send the pic on pm, I’ll link it here,

viewers discretion!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

mouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Squatman

mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Definitely a mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Mouse. No question.

On a slide note, what kind of a trap is that. It's like a guillotine

AdrianII wrote: »
    Mouse. No question.

On a slide note, what kind of a trap is that. It's like a guillotine

Think they were called the big cheese rat trap! They were the ones available in the local hardware store at the time, they do look a little, unforgiving in fairness!
    Thanks for the help everyone, I’ll clear out the attic as best I can in the coming days and leave the traps down.

Advertisement