Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

• 26-06-2019 9:47pm

RTÉ documentary this evening.

16000 greyhounds born every year in Ireland
    5987 greyhounds are killed every year because they’re not fast enough.

Dept of Agriculture funds this farce

Your tax euros.

Dept of Agriculture can FOAD.

You’re not getting my tax euros anymore so stop fcking funding this industry. Change the fcking law now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's a truly horrible industry.

Someone posted elsewhere that the overall subsidy given to all animal rescue charities is a fraction of what is spent on this travesty of a "tradition".

It should be stopped ASAP but what is the best route?

Please send your complaints to Department of Agriculture

Details at official Irish Government link below

Tell them to stop using your tax euros to fund this piece of bullsh1te officially called a “sport”

#Cleanupgreyhoundracing - In the meantime, please don’t attend a greyhound racing event until this is sorted.

Greyhound racing could be great, but not right now :(

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/customerservice/complaints/

Piss boiling watching that :mad:

Greyhounds are a lovely dog but these lads and the industry are the real animals.

“Export market to UK funded by the Department of Agriculture”

My tax euros.

FOAD DEPT OF AGRICULTURE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Absolutely detest racing.

“Britain in greyhound racing in decline”

“Occasions buck the trend- Clonmel bucks the trend- with coursing

“Bantry, West Cork- hares captured here for coursing events elsewhere in Ireland”

“Greyhounds are part of coursing in Ireland”

All above from your national broadcaster RTÉ.

I haven’t mentioned people, including an ex Garda called “Murphy” who were involved in illegal coursing - watch the documentary yourself.

What a disturbing programme on this minute. There appear to be huge numbers of "missing" greyhounds, with mass culling of "unsuccessful" greyhounds common.

Almost 6,000 greyhounds killed in Ireland every year, new RTÉ documentary reveals

Outside kennel and breeding deaths, officially since 2014 there have been 575 deaths of greyhounds at Irish race tracks since 2014. That's a huge number of animals killed at races. How can anybody justify that?

There's also a massive problem with drugs in the industry, and some "respectable" trainer in Athenry was raided and an enormous number of drugs and steroids were found on his premises. Many of the 'old school' trainers were talking about how drugs have destroyed the racing they loved.

Legally, according to the programme, greyhounds are classified under Irish law as farm animals along with horses. Accordingly, state funding for both greyhound racing and horse racing is ringfenced and the UCD academic said greyhound racing had a whopping €16 million in state funding last year for itself whereas Sports Ireland got €60 million to share between 60 competing sports. Hmmm. Was Charlie McCreevy the minister who gave them that? Given how generous he was with our taxes to the horse gambling industry, it wouldn't surprise me.

RTÉ: Thousands of greyhounds 'culled each year' for not being fast enough

RTÉ Investigates; Greyhounds running for their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

It's a disgusting sport, the way these animals are treated if they don't succeed is horrible.

Wish it was shut down, but then no doubt we'd have the 'but it's part of our culture!' brigade protesting (I have heard that argument unfortunately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Not watching but i know full well the type of scumbags that partake in this "sport". Cess pit of humanity type people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Not watching but i know full well the type of scumbags that partake in this "sport". Cess pit of humanity type people.

Bit of a generalisation there I think. I know plenty of fellas into it and the treat their dogs superbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Bit of a generalisation there I think. I know plenty of fellas into it and the treat their dogs superbly.

What do these fellas do with all of the dogs that aren't fast enough?

Do they inform the Gardai if any of their colleagues unlawfully kill the dogs or worse, ship them to China?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

A harrowing watch. Particularly the footage detailing the dog's fate at the hands of the Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is hare coursing still legal?

Could care less. They are part of the problem. The vast majority are scum end of.

The Irish hare is fcking a national symbol

FOAD Department of Agriculture- take a long hard fcking look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The sooner this needlessly cruel, corruption riddled industry goes the way of dancing bears and bull baiting, the better.

The sight of an ould retired Guard at an illegal coursing meeting says it all about pillars of the community here. Hopefully younger generations won't indulge in this shyte.

Some horrific stuff there in China

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I didn’t watch it. I won’t watch it. Unfortunately I know too well what happens to these poor animals in the name of “sport”.

Enfilade wrote: »
    Some horrific stuff there in China

Yes- trying to capture as much as possible in this documentary as it happens but recommend watching again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Horse racing ain't much different, just more prestigious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Disgusting "industry". What kind of absolute **** would want to be involved in that?

dickangel wrote: »
    A harrowing watch. Particularly the footage detailing the dogs fate at the hands of the Chinese.

Couldn't and wouldn't watch. There is a special place in hell for anyone who hurts animals dogs in particular.

peasant wrote: »
    Horse racing ain't much different, just more prestigious

This.

RTE won't do a show on that though i'd say too many special interest groupings.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

mad muffin wrote: »
    I didn’t watch it. I won’t watch it. Unfortunately I know too well what happens to these poor animals in the name of “sport”.

Ditto. I wouldn't be able to watch it, it breaks my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Someone is making money and that’s all that matters.

Disgusting "industry". What kind of absolute **** would want to be involved in that?

Thanks for getting on by board- please also register your disgust with Dept. of Agriculture.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/customerservice/complaints/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This.

RTE won't do a show on that though i'd say too many special interest groupings.

Better off groupings. Not just paunchy lads with battered panel vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

So many scumbags in this industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

That is one of the most upsetting thing I've seen in a while. The very last scene with the dog dying in the doorway, was me feeling sick.

Advertisement