Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Waternut wrote: »
    Didn't see it but a game and would have love to have, two good young teams. This could be an important year for Dungarvan, they really need to push on to the next level. How did Patrick Curran, the other Currans and Lyons go? It's refreshing to see so many young players stamp their authority on senior games.

Only fair to be honest,none of the lads stood out and as i said earlier we could have no complaints Passage were thoroughly deserving winners. Our attitude was inept and looked like we didn't pay our opponents the proper respect and we paid the price.
    l agree with you the pressure is on now to push to the next level and what a game we have next against Mt.Sion it will let us know where we're at.
    I went to the Cappoquin v Lismore game and must say great credit is due to the victors. Again it looked like when Lismore led by 5-6 points that they would run out easy winners but they collapsed when Maurice went off. I must give a mention to the cappoquin forwards in the second half namely Molumphy, Sullivan and O Rourke, they thundered into the game when they were needed and Lismore had no answer to them. John Prendergast and Ray Barry were the only 2 that performed well for the losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford's motivational coach will be away from the team for the cork game due to taking part in a charity marathon. That could be a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Waterford's motivational coach will be away from the team for the cork game due to taking part in a charity marathon. That could be a factor

What's a motivational coach and what exactly does he do on match day that cant be done that week?

What's a motivational coach and what exactly does he do on match day that cant be done that week?
    not sure but I'd say he prob talks to each player and motivates them or he reads motivational poems and stories to the team

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

not sure but I'd say he prob talks to each player and motivates them or he reads motivational poems and stories to the team

Sure he probably reads a selection of your posts to them PTH. Bound to motivate any player...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

reads motivational poems or stories haha

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I laughs at almost every single post you write PTH2009. Its amazing lads still react to you.

Enda Doherty is the motivational guy working with the senior hurlers he is a teacher in De La Salle College and anyone around the city might have seen him,he's the guy walking around with a washing machine on his back for Pieta house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Did you ever think of getting into Motivational speaking yourself? Everyone has a career that got lost on them maybe that's yours....

Did you ever think of getting into Motivational speaking yourself? Everyone has a career that got lost on them maybe that's yours....

Yeah I'd win them an all ireland. I've been through a lot lifewise.I always hope for the best for Waterford even though negative. Up the deise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Yeah I'd win them an all ireland. I've been through a lot lifewise.I always hope for the best for Waterford even though negative. Up the deise.

I know. weve crossed paths before, I’ve been on this board as long as you have albeit under different names so we’ve had some banter over the years. Keep barring myself from this board but keep coming back through my gra for all things deise. Live far away from home so not many people to talk deise GAA and have banter with where I am. Thanks for keeping us entertained anyway we know no one will ever get carried away with success on here while you’re around! Definetly wouldn’t be the same without you!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Gardner

I laughs at almost every single post you write PTH2009. Its amazing lads still react to you.

Enda Doherty is the motivational guy working with the senior hurlers he is a teacher in De La Salle College and anyone around the city might have seen him,he's the guy walking around with a washing machine on his back for Pieta house.

holy sweet divine **** if Enda Doherty is motivational speaker. anyone that knows him or was in his class will tell you there is no way this man could be in this position.
    im actually not going to get into an argument over it but i thought his capacity was to carry hurleys been honest...... im actually gob smacked at this present time.......

Gardner wrote: »
    holy sweet divine **** if Enda Doherty is motivational speaker. anyone that knows him or was in his class will tell you there is no way this man could be in this position.
    im actually not going to get into an argument over it but i thought his capacity was to carry hurleys been honest...... im actually gob smacked at this present time.......

With whom or Why would you get into argument over it? I'm just telling you as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

In all seriousness, what does a motivational coach do? Instinctively I'm thinking that if you need 'motivation' to play for your kownty then you shouldn't be playing. I'm sure it's a bit more subtle than that though, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Sounds like a token role, surprised this has gained any response

Sounds like a token role, surprised this has gained any response

I'm surprised you're surprised ;)

deiseach wrote: »
    In all seriousness, what does a motivational coach do? Instinctively I'm thinking that if you need 'motivation' to play for your kownty then you shouldn't be playing. I'm sure it's a bit more subtle than that though, right?
    Let's not get into a discussion about a motivational coach, I've a feeling this is all PTH's evil plot or something.
    Anyway the guy's role would be to deal with players who are under a lot of pressure to perform, maybe they're in a bad run of form and are low in confidence. It happens every player at some stage where he's not playing great and he starts to question his ability....that motivational guy's responsibility is to identify the issue, find a solution to transform their attitude. Finito!!

Ye looking forward to the start of the hurling Sunday? I can't wait, nothing better than going to mass on a Sunday, big plate of dinner afterwards and then seeing the Sunday game just about to begin

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Let's not get into a discussion about a motivational coach, I've a feeling this is all PTH's evil plot or something. ... Finito!!

You're right. Moving swiftly along...
    Ye looking forward to the start of the hurling Sunday? I can't wait, nothing better than going to mass on a Sunday, big plate of dinner afterwards and then seeing the Sunday game just about to begin

Funnily enough I'm not that bothered. If Waterford are not involved, I can take it or leave it.

Let's not get into a discussion about a motivational coach, I've a feeling this is all PTH's evil plot or something.
    Anyway the guy's role would be to deal with players who are under a lot of pressure to perform, maybe they're in a bad run of form and are low in confidence. It happens every player at some stage where he's not playing great and he starts to question his ability....that motivational guy's responsibility is to identify the issue, find a solution to transform their attitude. Finito!!

Added to the fact so many are doing exams and so much training for college club & County.

Cant wait for the game the weekend being a hurling man you'd be crazy if you weren't looking forward to Munster Championship, summer is finally here

Cant wait for the game the weekend being a hurling man you'd be crazy if you weren't looking forward to Munster Championship, summer is finally here

I must not be a hurling man then. Once upon a time I followed every game slavishly. But that was a time when Waterford's only contribution was to get walloped out the gate. Those days can go to hell.

deiseach wrote: »
    I must not be a hurling man then. Once upon a time I followed every game slavishly. But that was a time when Waterford's only contribution was to get walloped out the gate. Those days can go to hell.
    That's 20 years ago lad. The All Ireland is now competitive as ever, flick on channel 102 for 20mins on Sunday and see what you think

• Advertisement

Added to the fact so many are doing exams and so much training for college club & County.

You fancy Limerick or Clare? Seems to be fellas dropping falling left right and centre in the Clare panel, I'll go for Limerick by 2

That's 20 years ago lad. The All Ireland is now competitive as ever, flick on channel 102 for 20mins on Sunday and see what you think

I'll have it on. But if the weather is good, I'll be out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

Can I ask what people make of a benefit match for Pauric Mahony?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Kkid wrote: »

If I'm being honest it is a bit OTT. Obviously its a tough break for the lad but in the end of the day it is only a broken leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

Thanks MUFC91CS, not everyday I agree with a united supporter. As a KK man I was surprised by the move. Its not like he'll never hurl again. Looking forward to the real start of the championship next weekend, Munster Hurling at it finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

While agreeing with the sentiment of being seen to support a lad who has just had a potentially serious set back of a year on his career path, i would have to be concerned about the impact on others. As i have said recently we as a county have had a really unlucky run of bad injuries, including Stephen Daniels, Eddie Barrett, Philip Mahony, Martin O'Neill etc, Maybe I am wrong but I do not remember anything being done for these lads and this being the case what makes any of them any different?

What I would like to see looked at, is that once or twice a year, benefit games are played between counties whereby each county can build a separate injury fund from the proceeds of the games and that can be used to create a specific fund to assist those who end up in financial difficulty because of suffering an injury while representing their county . I realize this could be difficult to handle and county boards might be tempted to dip in to the fund from time to time, but i think it is certainly something worth looking into.

You fancy Limerick or Clare? Seems to be fellas dropping falling left right and centre in the Clare panel, I'll go for Limerick by 2

Hard to pick a winner in my eyes Clare have the players but whether davy has them remains to be seen, Limerick love to be written off as underdogs and hate to seen as favourites which they are for tbis game.
    I'll say Clare to win -2pts @ 15/8

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Kkid wrote: »

While i personally feel sorry for Paudie as he was having a tremendous year i think this is way over the top. At what stage do we decide where to stop these benefit games? What happens if the same injury occurred during a junior B game what then? Or any club game for that matter? That's why all these players are insured to cover these injuries. The cynic in me says the Pieta House is the deal breaker! Great cause and the work they do is fantastic but i would imagine they're included in the deal so as not to make it look as bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I can't wait, nothing better than going to mass on a Sunday, big plate of dinner afterwards and then seeing the Sunday game just about to begin

With the hurling game starting at 4 pm, you must be going to a very late mass or have a really big plate of dinner (or both).

• Advertisement

Giveitfong wrote: »
    With the hurling game starting at 4 pm, you must be going to a very late mass or have a really big plate of dinner (or both).
    I know but you could stay at mass until 12:45, get home and have dinner, listening to the Sunday game theme tune, nothing better! The big plate of dinner helps me have a quick nap during the Ulster football and then ready for action at 3:30!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement