Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Eoin Morgan is different as he represented Ireland and decided to jump ship.

Jack Charlton used to represent England, ended up jumping ship for Ireland, did very well for us too!

Doesn't matter if people's allegiances are divided, specially if you have mixed parentage as per Eoin Morgan (English Mother). Katie Taylor could represent England if she wanted to (English Dad).

When I think of all the English football players down the years who have "jumped ship" left England, and donned the green jersey.

Nothing wrong with them either, specially if they had some kind of Irish connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem with the jumping from Ireland to England is... you are deserting your country, when they’ll pick you, because you value more lucrative career prospects elsewhere...England didn’t need Morgan but by snapping him up it certainly enhanced their success in the one day format of the game, as a cricketer and captain.

How many of the English or Scottish born footballers who went on to declare and play for us, would have been regular English or Scotland internationals.. say 20+ caps ?

Mark Lawrenson, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge (possibly). I can’t think of any others really...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Aisling bea actress ,comedian, she mostly appears on uk tv panel shows.
    i,ve never seen her on irish tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

(Sir) Bob Geldof

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

riclad wrote: »
    Aisling bea actress ,comedian, she mostly appears on uk tv panel shows.
    i,ve never seen her on irish tv.

Fair city :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a singer from Kerry called Rea Garvey who is effectively unknown here, but fairly well known in Germany - multiple top five albums etc. I only became aware of him due to him doing vocals for a better known German artist.

edit: mentioned a few months ago, must read thread before posting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Sheamus, the wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thing with Eoin Morgan is at the time Ireland weren't allowed to play test cricket which is the highest form of cricket. Morgan and Ed Joyce both moved to play for England cos the rules were if you hadn't played that internationally you could move.

Joyce moved back and was given dispensation to do so earlier, but Morgan stuck on as he was doing so well in Odis for England

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sheamus, the wrestler.

You could add Finn Balor, Becky Lynch and Finlay too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

titan18 wrote: »
    You could add Finn Balor, Becky Lynch and Finlay too
    And the Session Moth Martina.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The guy who makes the hats.

I don't even know his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Primordial and cruachan celtic metal bands play too much bigger crowds abroad then here (particularly in Eastern Europe/Russia)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Philip Treacy

Which took a google for "Irish Milliner" to get.

Actually I forgot this but I was in Amsterdam last year to see the breeders and there was a huge queue so I sat outside a bar and waited for it to die down then I realised the breeders were playing next door and the big queue was for Gavin glass from Sandyford :)

He has a show on nova too

Incidentally during the gig Kim deal pointed out gavin was next door and years before he was producing them and she spilled a pint on his console

IAMAMORON wrote: »

The woman who designed the furniture. Big in Europe and Britain. We haven't a breeze about her here.

Primordial and cruachan celtic metal bands play too much bigger crowds abroad then here (particularly in Eastern Europe/Russia)

Yeah I saw a primordial gig on YouTube at a festival and there must have been over 50k there at least, that’s Metallica in Dublin level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Yeah I saw a primordial gig on YouTube at a festival and there must have been over 50k there at least, that’s Metallica in Dublin level

Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The woman who designed the furniture. Big in Europe and Britain. We haven't a breeze about her here.

Eileen Gray. Her stuff is beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Michael Gambon. A lot of people don’t even know he’s Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tullamore Dew whiskey.

The late Michael Robinson, probably more famous in Spain as a commentator than as a player.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Colm Wilkinson, who played Jean Valjean in the original London cast of the musical Les Miserables.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭its_steve116

eviltwin wrote: »

From Cabra, I do believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I was sure you were messing there for a minute, but it seems that he is indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

L1011 wrote: »
    Philip Treacy

Which took a google for "Irish Milliner" to get.

A man whose name is associated with the G-Hotel in Galway - the most laughable excuse for a supposedly 5 Star hotel that I've had the displeasure of sleeping in.

A man whose name is associated with the G-Hotel in Galway - the most laughable excuse for a supposedly 5 Star hotel that I've had the displeasure of sleeping in.

Was it nice on opening day and then slowly degraded by the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

From Cabra, I do believe?

Named after the last corner on the Top gear racetrack. :D

Des Lynam the sports commentator. Like Gambon, most people don't know he was Irish.

Nutty Mary from Gogglebox.

• Advertisement
Advertisement