Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And wtaf is a bath bridge

It's one of those trays you put across the bath to form a shelf.

Like this one, for instance.

4d028af94fc0fef862a1a9065efff57d--bathtub-tray-bathtub-caddy.jpg

EDIT: beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The Narrows - Michael Connelly .

(my book has a "bookcrossing" sticker on it. I think people used to buy a book, read it, and just leave it in a public place for another person to find and read - The date is April 2012 , and it was left in dublin)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's lovely! :) There were whole websites dedicated to stuff like that. People used to do the same with journals - kind of fill a page, travel somewhere, leave it somewhere it can be found, post its location on a dedicated website and wait for the next person to do the same. You could then track its travels across the world.

Have you tried looking at websites like this one?

EDIT: Actually, scrap that, according to their official FB page, their website seems to be down at the moment. https://www.facebook.com/BookCrossingOfficial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

New Home wrote: »
    It's one of those trays you put across the bath to form a shelf.

Like this one, for instance.

4d028af94fc0fef862a1a9065efff57d--bathtub-tray-bathtub-caddy.jpg

EDIT: beaten to it.

Good for about 9 minutes and then the water gets lukewarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Daughter got me The Complete works of George Orwell. I've started 'Burmese Days'. A story set in a fictional town in Burma, allegedly based on the actual place Orwell was stationed in 1927 as a policeman.

Story tells the tale of British imperialism and native cronyism, swindling etc. Plenty of use of the 'N' word and from what I've read so far it paints a fairly obnoxious view of British colonialism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Daughter got me The Complete works of George Orwell. I've started 'Burmese Days'. A story set in a fictional town in Burma, allegedly based on the actual place Orwell was stationed in 1927 as a policeman.

Story tells the tale of British imperialism and native cronyism, swindling etc. Plenty of use of the 'N' word and from what I've read so far it paints a fairly obnoxious view of British colonialism.

Keep the aspidistra flying is very good too, Gordon Comstock is a great character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Rise & Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy. Does a sterling job of explaining why various empires and nations have ascended and declined relative to each other.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Good for about 9 minutes and then the water gets lukewarm.

The water in the glass, probably, but you can start with adding ice to it before you start soaking. And BTW, I can get a good 45 mins in the tub before the water starts to cool. But that's with or without the tray.

I've been reading (in the bath) The Wheel of Fortune, an old book by Susan Howatch. I loved her more recent series, I thought this would be good, too, but I really can't find any redeeming features in it, I'm afraid. Still, only a couple of chapters to go, I might as well finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

If it includes Down and Out in Paris and London its well worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

New Home wrote: »
    The water in the glass, probably, but you can start with adding ice to it before you start soaking. And BTW, I can get a good 45 mins in the tub before the water starts to cool. But that's with or without the tray.

I've been reading (in the bath) The Wheel of Fortune, an old book by Susan Howatch. I loved her more recent series, I thought this would be good, too, but I really can't find any redeeming features in it, I'm afraid. Still, only a couple of chapters to go, I might as well finish it.

Be honest how often is there water in that glass ?

• Advertisement

In my case, it'd probably be juice or a cuppa, I'd be at risk of drowning if I drank. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

This may be a stupid question... I have Kindle Unlimited, and I've downloaded a couple of books that I really enjoyed and I know my mum would love too... She doesn't have Kindle Unlimited, but I was wondering if there might be a way I can share them to her Kindle? (We don't live close by, so literally lending her my Kindle isn't an option!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

This may be a stupid question... I have Kindle Unlimited, and I've downloaded a couple of books that I really enjoyed and I know my mum would love too... She doesn't have Kindle Unlimited, but I was wondering if there might be a way I can share them to her Kindle? (We don't live close by, so literally lending her my Kindle isn't an option!)

Just give her your log in details.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Just give her your log in details.

But it's my Kindle that's linked to the account... Or can you link more than one device?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

But it's my Kindle that's linked to the account... Or can you link more than one device?

I have two kindles linked to my account, so you can do that at least. I'm not saying amazon wont twig and ask you to stop, but they've not for me yet and it's been a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Man's Search for Meaning Viktor Frankl

An all time classic that has been on list for years.

I would love to get other peoples thoughts on this but I was incredibly underwhelmed. I appreciate it is not meant to be an entertaining book but I thought the message was very repetitive and could have been summarized in a few pages. Didn't get much from it at all, I just didn't seem to connect with it like other books of the same genre.

Maybe I was expecting too much as I had read so much about this being a "life changing" book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pale Blue Dot

Patsy167 wrote: »

I would love to get other peoples thoughts on this but I was incredibly underwhelmed. I appreciate it is not meant to be an entertaining book but I thought the message was very repetitive and could have been summarized in a few pages. Didn't get much from it at all, I just didn't seem to connect with it like other books of the same genre.

Maybe I was expecting too much as I had read so much about this being a "life changing" book.

I'm inclined to agree. What Frankl and others went through was unimaginable and the strength it took to survive, incredible. But as a book I thought, like you, that it had offered its message within a few pages and then the same idea, just in different scenarios, repeated itself.

If you haven't already, I'd very much recommend The Choice by Edith Eger. Unlike Frankl who was already an established physician in his late 30's when he was sent to a camp, Eger was a teenager. But she also survived, moved to the US and became a psychologist. She even met Frankl a few times later in life. Her time in the concentration camp is covered in the first third of the book and the rest is about her subsequent life. She talks about how her time in the camps influenced the rest of her life and often even in how she delivered therapy to her own patients in the US. It wasn't all perfect from arrival in the US either and liked how candid she is about her own life - for example, her marriage struggles. Overall I just felt it offered 'more' than Frankl's book.

But again take nothing away from anyone who can survive what they went through and have the courage to publish a book about it afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think it's one of the most important books that's ever been written and that everyone should read it in this day and age. Perhaps, especially in this day and age.

I'm wondering what you were expecting from it. Generally, my experience with books alleged to be "life-changing" or similar is that they give me fresh perspectives on thing rather than impelling me to make radical change.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 30,336 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I didn't enjoy this one at all. I've heard a lot of books by survivors of the Holocaust and this was the most disappointing.

I would recommend Night by Elie Wiesel. Simply the best book on the subject that I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is the Frankl book long? Been on my list for a while. Started the Mirror and the Light the other night and also one called High Price by Dr Carl Hart about drugs and addictions and their legality etc. Very interesting.

• Advertisement

Is the Frankl book long? Been on my list for a while. Started the Mirror and the Light the other night and also one called High Price by Dr Carl Hart about drugs and addictions and their legality etc. Very interesting.

No. I got through it in a few days.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I’ll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara. The story of the authors hunt for the Golden State Killer. Unfortunately she passed away before he was caught.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I’ll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara. The story of the authors hunt for the Golden State Killer. Unfortunately she passed away before he was caught.

There's a good follow up documentary which they coupled with old recordings of her and interviews with people she knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart. Good so far like trainspotting set in Glasgow rough and tough on the sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

More Cunning Than Man - a complete history of the rat & its role in human civilization really interesting and frightening factual book author Robert Henrickson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Going to make a start on V2 Robert Harris its from the Christmas pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I rate his non-fiction above the likes of 1984 or Animal Farm. Down and Out in Paris and London, Homage to Catalonia and (the first half of) The Road to Wigan Pier are some of his best political writing. Burmese days is so directly inspired by his personal experience that it I find it sits well with his non-fiction too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

'How to Save your Planet one Object at a Time' by Tara Shine

I'm reading David B. Lyons' books at the moment. They're available for free on Kindle Unlimited. Short fast-paced twisty mystery/crime books based in and around Dublin. Not exactly the most high-brow literature, but very enjoyable.

First one I read was The Suicide Pact. Two young teenage girls have a pact to kill themselves by midnight, so the main character is running around trying to find them and stop them in time. I really enjoyed this one, I would never have predicted the outcome. Definitely worth a read.

Then I read The Curious Case Of Faith And Grace. This is about two 9 year old girls on trial for the murder of their parents. Seemed like an interesting premise, but I just couldn't buy in to it. Too many unbelievable leaps and stretches. Also too many false flags and red herrings. Very unsatisfying.

I'm now on Midday, it's about a tiger kidnapping where a bank manager has four hours to rob €8 million from his banks to save his partner. So far, so good!! I'm not far into it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Farenheit 451 left me cold :rolleyes:

The I read George RR Martin's Fevre Dream. His take on the vampire myth. I had never heard of it but I saw it somewhere listed as one of the best vampire novels. It's a page turner with his typical plot twists and big dinner tables :D

Coming up next, Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita

Advertisement