Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just started Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo about black woman in Britain through different decades.

Already on page 100 because after 'The Mirror & The Light' this is a doddle to read!

When I first started + saw no full stops thought it was going to be another pretentious booker prize pile of cr&p like Milkman but it's not.

There may be no full stops but still paragraphs + chapters so easy to read.

I hope I continue to enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Odyssey - Homer

Reminds me of trying to get home from nightclubs years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Just finished "Gettysburg: The Last Invasion" by Allen Guelzo. Currently reading an old book that I rediscovered: "The Sharp End of War" by John Ellis, examining the WW2 Allied infantryman's experience of warfare. Not just the fighting and fear, but the discomfort, hunger, fatigue, disease, squalor etc. It would make you wonder at what people are capable of enduring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A generation of Irish school children know Marita Conlon McKenna as teachers read to them Under the Hawthorn Tree. Such a well known book even though its quite short

She has a new book called The Hungry Road. Set in Famine times in Skibbereen.

I have the audiobook and the narrator doing the reading is pure Cork ha. I am halfway through and its very well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

Lisha wrote: »
    Just finished Normal people by Sally Rooney, saw loads of praise in twitter. It just made me sad to be honest. Too many self destructive people. But I’m very sad today so many I’m
    Judging it wrong/harshly.

I thought it started well, liked the early school part, but thought it got quite twisted as it went on. Read it a while ago, was surprised later at all the praise. Maybe it strikes a chord with a young audience?? Young people are way more into self absorption than anyone I ever knew.Possibly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Finished that ‘American Gods’ by Neil Gaiman, a decent fantasy yarn. Or do you people call it “magical realism”?

Been alternating between Mari Akasaka’s ‘Vibrator’ and a beautiful collection of Arabic Poetry by Ghazi Algosaibi called ‘Dusting the Colour from Roses’ since.

Will start into ‘Mockingbird’ by Walter Tevis soon.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Finished Playing With Fire by Tess Gerritsen. The book jumped between the present day and 1944 but it did tie together at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭ngunners

Started reading The Big Bang Burger Bar, an unofficial sequel to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It’s surprisingly good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

ngunners wrote: »
    Started reading The Big Bang Burger Bar, an unofficial sequel to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It’s surprisingly good so far.
    It has 1 rating on goodreads, and appears to be some kind of copyright law honeypot. Do you personally know the person who wrote it?

On second thought, don't answer that. Anonymity is probably his or her best defence against a lawsuit from Adams' widow.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭ngunners

mikhail wrote: »
    It has 1 rating on goodreads, and appears to be some kind of copyright law honeypot. Do you personally know the person who wrote it?

On second thought, don't answer that. Anonymity is probably his or her best defence against a lawsuit from Adams' widow.

I’m aware of that. No, I don’t personally know the person who wrote it, I found it through a recommendation on reddit.

It’s free to download- basically fan-fiction. But I think the author does a much better job of capturing Douglas Adams’ voice than Eoin Colfer managed in his version.

There are some issues (poor formatting, and a lack of editing) and it does feel fan service-y at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Reefer Madness.

Excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jazz_jazz

I just finished 'This is Going to Hurt' by Adam Kay after being told it was brilliant and a must read.

I absolutely hated it. I just can't understand how people consider it to be hilarious. I found him to be extremely unlikable, and his humour very forced.

I'm in the minority though as there are thousands of 5 star reviews on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Humour is very subjective. I found it very funny, in that pitch black way a lot of doctors use as a coping mechanism. It's interesting to get a sense of their lifestyle too - intellectually, you know a junior doctor works long hours, but this puts a human face on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

appledrop wrote: »
    Just finished the new book by Hilary 'The Mirror & The Light'.

I have to say I'm disappointed compared to other two books. Very good at times but at other times I felt it was just repeating same old council meetings etc over + over again.

Anyway, let me know what you think when you get around to it.

I finished it last week. I also don't think it is as accomplished as either Wolf Hall or Bring Up the Bodies: the middle sections rather dragged, while I wanted the end parts to be much longer, unfolding the plots and the ultimate denouement. Having said that, I still think it's one of the best books I've read in a long while and will likely win prizes etc. It's just that in comparison to the other (superlative) two, it pales a little. Some of that may also be the nature of the story: it's easier I suspect to write a convincing, interesting, suspenseful account of someone's improbable rise to power, including how they protect themselves, versus where someone is at the height of their powers for the great majority of the book and so conspiracies etc. seem less threatening. Hence why I felt more was needed to cover the last, say, six months or so, to really explore the nature of power and how it can unravel.

Bring Up the Bodies was/is my favourite and has remained so now that I've read the full trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Book: Hyperion

Author: Dan Simons

What's it about: A Sci fi.....I just started but I think it's about a yoke called a Shrike. No idea what that is.

Would ya recommend it: i'll check back in later with this..... but so far it's wild, so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

LeYouth wrote: »

What's it about: A Sci fi.....I just started but I think it's about a yoke called a Shrike. No idea what that is.

Would ya recommend it: i'll check back in later with this..... but so far it's wild, so yes.
    Yeah I liked it...been a few years since I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Just started the 3rd book in a trilogy from Justin Cronin. It’s called The City Of Mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The notebook by Nicholas Sparks re reading it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.
    I thought it was brilliant. (I never realised there was alot of controversy about it)

The story of a mother and her son escaping Mexico heading to a new life in the USA..
    9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just finished Between Breaths by Elizabeth Vargas. Well-written memoir about anxiety, addiction, relapse and recovery. I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The nanny by Gillian Macmilliam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

LeYouth wrote: »

Did you read The Terror? By the same author, great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've just started "Somebody I Used To Know", a memoir by Wendy Mitchell about living with dementia ... I'm not far in but it's a fascinating read, a really unique perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Graveyard clay, its about corpses in the graveyard in Mayo talking to each other

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

magick wrote: »
    Graveyard clay, its about corpses in the graveyard in Mayo talking to each other

Wasn't there an old play like that? By Yeats, perhaps? That ^^^ does ring a bell, for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Just started the 3rd book in a trilogy from Justin Cronin. It’s called The City Of Mirrors.

I loved that trilogy, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

New Home wrote: »
    Wasn't there an old play like that? By Yeats, perhaps? That ^^^ does ring a bell, for some reason...

Are you thinking of Beckett’s ‘Play’? The three characters are just heads in separate urns.

The tide is turning…

Ipso wrote: »
    Did you read The Terror? By the same author, great book.

Not yet, but I will check it out. Ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.
    A woman and sons journey to enter USA illegally.
    I thought it was great, didn't realise it was so controversial.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to find a book ( or it could have been a short story I'm not really sure). I read it years ago. Like 20 or more years ago.

It's set in rural Northern Ireland and its about a prolonged engagement/ battle of wits/ between an IRA unit and an SAS team. One of the SAS characters is called Striker, I think.

Would anyone on here have read something similar? Or know the title.

Advertisement