Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst scam you've fallen for

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

FFred wrote: »
    ‘Lending’ all my confirmation money to my mother in 1985

Turns out it wasn’t a ‘loan’ as I never got it back.... #bitter

My mother took my confirmation money in 1992 to 'put in the bank'.
    Five years later my brother was allowed spend his on a bike.

Almost 30 years later and she still thinks that the sun shines out of her golden boy's arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Three card trick before going into Fairyhouse when I was a teenager. €20 gone! That sickening, sinking feeling when you lose the money, greatest deterrent to gambling addiction I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

About 13 at the time got caught with the leather belt trick by the usual suspects at the annual point to point. £10 lost which was a fortune to me!
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    ??? How's that scam then.

I really want to know what this leather belt trick is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Came home one day and our Dad asked me to take a look at a letter he’d received that morning. It was a letter addressed to him congratulating him on his win in the National Spanish Lottery.

It was all written with official and professional looking graphics. To say he was delighted was putting it mildly. He’d “won” €250,000. He was cordially invited to ring the attached number in order to arrange collection of his winnings. Now this was a man who is a self-proclaimed genius so I let it go for a few minutes. I could have told him that the real Spanish lottery was “El Lottoria De Espana” or something and he’d have believed me so gullible he is. Knowing he’d never set foot on Spanish soil, I asked him “You never told us you’d been to Spain”. He said he hadn’t been there at all and so I said “So how the hell did manage to win the Spanish lottery so?” He was convinced he’d won and he was warned to not ring the number and to throw it in the bin. Ten years on, he probably still thinks he won.

I was intoxicated on a particular pharmaceutical remedy one night, walking back home through the city-centre in something of a zig-zag pattern , and was apprehended by a plain-clothes citizen with a strong inner-city accent who said his name was Garda John O'Brien. He ordered me to show him my backpack, and then turn around and face the wall. He then went through my pockets, and ordered me to sit on the ground.

Still feeling convivial from the night's proceedings, and grinning like I had an advanced case of tetanus, I decided to humour him, and sat cross-legged on the ground while he went rifling through my backpack. The strange thing is, I knew he wasn't a real Guard, but was in no mood for an argument to spoil my night. On some level, I think I even thought we might be friends and maybe this would be an amusing story I could tell at his wedding.

I was still capable of some cognitive tasks, however, because I did a quick mental inventory of what was in the bag -- nothing important, just a raincoat and a newspaper,and I deliberately don't carry a wallet (to avoid incidents like this), so no biggie. He went off empty-handed and I went home to bed.

I woke up next morning having forgotten the whole thing, after checking my personal phone, reached for my work phone. But It wasn't on the locker. It wasn't in the kitchen. Nor the bathroom, nor my jeans -- and then I saw the open, empty backpack on the floor. It turns out I really didn't have any basic cognitive intelligence, and of course I'd had my work phone out, and of course he'd stolen 700 euro of phone which was absolutely useless to him anyway, as it was locked. And the Guards* tell me that once it's blocked, it can't be unblocked unless the phone leaves Europe.

*Obviously I didn't tell them the whole story. In the sanitised version, it was an opportunistic pilfering.

I didn't get the phone back, and tbh, I didn't deserve to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

You sure the ratings weren't fake? It's entirely possible that some scammers hire people to leave positive feedback.

It's also possible that he does what a few drug dealers on the dark web do, they deliver to buyers the legitimate product in order to receive enough good feedback and then they start scamming a small percentage of their new buyers

You're right, they could have been. After my purchase I think there were only one or two more positive feedbacks and everything else was suddenly negative. They left me positive feedback after the goods were 'sent' so I didn't realise that something was up until a week or two later. After that there was a month of solely negative feedback and then there seemed to be no further activity on their account.

It definitely made me more cautious about purchasing on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Belt is rolled up and you are asked to pick the centre -usually with a biro or something, the belt is then opened , and invariably you lose .
    The scam is switching the ends of the belt as it is unwound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Could you take him to the small claims court or not? Was it actually a loan or a gift?

Pretty sure oral "loans" aren't considered loans at all.

It was a loan. He left the country not long after. Funny, he was back last week, saw him walking the town. It is a fair price to see what he is like. Will never get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

sunbeam wrote: »
    You're right, they could have been. After my purchase I think there were only one or two more positive feedbacks and everything else was suddenly negative. They left me positive feedback after the goods were 'sent' so I didn't realise that something was up until a week or two later. After that there was a month of solely negative feedback and then there seemed to be no further activity on their account.

It definitely made me more cautious about purchasing on eBay.

Happened to me recently with wireless earphones. Every day the battery lasted a little less until around 3 weeks later, they'd only last ten mins. The reviews were pretty much all good when I was looking at it on Amazon, possibly too good when I re-read them. Left a scathing review, but a couple of days later the page was gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Is there anyone who doesn’t get scammed in the whole cryptocurrency scam - apart from the scammers at the top of the ponzi of course?

Been a boon for me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

I slept with a transsexual :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

"Sign up to Boards" they said.
    "it'll make you wealthy beyond your wildest dreams" they said.

Fcukin con artists.
    Grumble grumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Once got given back stage passes to a Mariah concert....

There was no concert. But my god there is a Mariah!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Call over I'll show it to ye!!
    It's along the lines of the 3 card trick or the dice and the cups trick where they run it with a few "plants" first and suck in the innocent 3rd party,me.
    He'd roll the belt on it's edge into a coil and ask you to keep an eye on the loop. When he'd finish coiling it up he'd ask you to stick a biro into the loop and wager a tenner against his tenner that it was the closed loop. He'd pull away the belt and hey presto, the biro wouldn't be in the loop. Money gone.
    I'm sure it's on YouTube it's easily done when you see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Call over I'll show it to ye!!
    It's along the lines of the 3 card trick or the dice and the cups trick where they run it with a few "plants" first and suck in the innocent 3rd party,me.
    He'd roll the belt on it's edge into a coil and ask you to keep an eye on the loop. When he'd finish coiling it up he'd ask you to stick a biro into the loop and wager a tenner against his tenner that it was the closed loop. He'd pull away the belt and hey presto, the biro wouldn't be in the loop. Money gone.
    I'm sure it's on YouTube it's easily done when you see how.

ah right. this con

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_and_Loose_(con_game)#How_it_works

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Yup, that's the one.Learnt a hard lesson that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Lux23 wrote: »
    I bought crystal MDMA from a couple of junkies once and it turned out to be crushed-up meanies.

I can picture you piercing the bag with the end of a knife like a cop in the movies, and tasting a bit...
    ..."Meanies"!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have just missed my train/bus and need 2 euro to get home, twice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bought a fake, but professionally made (pressed, same matrix codes etc) copy of a relatively rare and hence expensive CD - for far less than it should have been so it should have been obvious really.

Think that's about it. Debit card was skimmed somewhere and they tried to buy phones on Expansys but Expansys refused the transaction - many phones, delivery address to card mismatch or whatever - and refunded the card - never told the bank; I noticed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Prince in Nigeria

What can do you for sir?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I fall for that every time.

In fact I know. I just want to give it. I can't help it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What can do you for sir?

YOUR MAJESTY! :p

*BOWS*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I had the fella in Paris stop at some busy roundabout, I was like wtf...

He had come from a trade fare but he missed his flight or some stuff and would sell me all these wonderful designer clothes for a pittance.

Joke was on him I only had a €5 on me, he wasn't impressed, I gave him back all the clothes, didn't want to be carrying rags around Paris!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

That's alright bud. It's happened to the best of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Had my wallet pickpocketed in NY though. Luckily I had left most of my Dollars in the safe and just cancelled my cards. He got about $5. In Barca I used carry my money in my sock and my card on the inside pocket of my shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

pgj2015 wrote: »

Had this very near Heuston Station, he'd missed his train for Belfast. 'Well of course you did, it leaves from Connolly'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Very dopubtful you did. You (tried to) had sex with it. Hope you didn't get the clap from it:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

G Shock wrote: »
    Bought a bit of hash off a fella in a pub down past Connolly station on the quays years ago (What could go wrong).
    He dissapeared with my 50 euro, and I was left with a square of Cadburys chocolate wrapped in tin foil...
    Bastard!

Not much of a buzz off that Turkish Delight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I am pretty tech savvy so was surprised to find myself so easily duped into buying the US visa ESTA off the first Google hit instead of making sure it was the real government site. To be fair I did do it in a rush and remember thinking man this site is ****ty but proceeding anyway.

Cue €140 charge instead of the 20 it was supposed to cost or thereabouts. The sites are clever, they look just like the real thing and do provide you with an esta so you are getting what you pay for. Managed to get it back minus the real esta fee after I asked them. I suspect for every 10 people that ask for their money back 1 doesn't, great scam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

Nodster wrote: »
    Not much of a buzz off that Turkish Delight!

No but I wouldn't have minded a bit of chocolate Thai.. :)

Advertisement