Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst scam you've fallen for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The African guys who hang around the piazzas in all major Italian cities.

Oh a free wristband, why thank you my friend!
    Ya want what now?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ya want what now?

Not just in Italian cities....

Any place in Europe along the coastline. Handbags, hats, all sorts of stupid fake stuff you don't really want until it's right in front of you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

I've downloaded a game app once onto my PC which also changed my browser settings to open some dodgy sites by default and probably was doing other stuff like trying to get my passwords and was just impossible to clean out of the system. Since I consider myself to be a bit of a computer nerd, this annoyed me greatly that I fell for such a scam. Had to reformat all drives and to restore data from backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

About 13 at the time got caught with the leather belt trick by the usual suspects at the annual point to point. £10 lost which was a fortune to me!

??? How's that scam then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

One and only time something like this has ever happened, I'm usually very careful, but I got caught by a fake website geared towards providing info to people on how to use bitcoins safely. Link on the website led to cloned coin washer that was fake. Lost 200 Euro I think. Was annoyed for 24 hours, but then just had to admire what a good job they'd done.

Is there anyone who doesn’t get scammed in the whole cryptocurrency scam - apart from the scammers at the top of the ponzi of course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ya want what now?

Also in Paris too, they are big fcukers too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Friend's maid got enchanted by an online "American Serviceman", they chatted online and he convinced her to send him money, this went on a number of times, she was basically borrowing that money from my old drunken and horny friend, it all ended when the friend got called by the police to bring his maid to explain her money laundering. She had sent something like €80,000

And yes it was a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Religion

(for the first few years of my life)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

Is there anyone who doesn’t get scammed in the whole cryptocurrency scam...

Well if you use markets which trade uniquely with cryptocurrency then you are eventually definitely going to get scammed at some point. Nearly all markets Exit Scam eventually, quite a popular one pulled such a move a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

sugarman wrote: »
    None, because I'm not a gullible moron!

Unnecessary comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was at Feile 90 and was caught by one of those knackers and the 3 cups and coin scam...handed over £20 in the safe knowledge I knew where the coin was and obviously lost my money in an instant. Felt sick to my stomach that I was so stupid so went and bought some beer to help me forget. In my defence I was only 19 at the time, stupid, na and slightly drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

12 years of marriage :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I bought crystal MDMA from a couple of junkies once and it turned out to be crushed-up meanies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The attractive woman who approached me in a bar that turned out to be a hooker.

Probably lucky it wasnt a bloke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

sugarman wrote: »
    None, because I'm not a gullible moron!

Nothing more gullable than a gambler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

never. am way to cynical to trust anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Fell for the card over part of the meter trick coming from airport that turned a £40 fare into a £80 fare.
    Luigi D'Cunto then doubled down on it with the old lira switcheroo near the hotel, turning a £40 fare into a £160 fare.
    Stupid, but work paid for it once I filled in the police report.

In my defence, I'd been living in Sweden for 6 months beforehand, where you could get into a taxi blotto at the end of a night, slur an address, hand the driver your wallet and pass out.
    You'd wake up the next morning, safely at home, with the correct amount of money in your wallet, to the exact kronor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Gave some randomer money to go into the offo (which was attached to a pub and bookies) for me when I was a young teenager. He told me to wait around the corner so nobody would see he was buying drink for someone underage.

I realised what happened after about 40 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

xzanti wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking.

True story, I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

FFred wrote:
    ‘Lending’ all my confirmation money to my mother in 1985

FFred wrote:
    Turns out it wasn’t a ‘loan’ as I never got it back.... #bitter

My brother in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Got scammed on eBay by a seller with 100 percent positive feedback and over 2000 ratings. They were selling expensive hair products for about 20 percent less than anywhere else online. Not at all unusual on eBay and great feedback relating to the specific products I purchased.

I never received the items. When I went to open a PayPal case I received a message advising me to skip attempting to communicate with the seller and go straight to filing a claim.

When I went to leave negative feedback I found that 73 other people had already done so before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Loaned a friend 600 Euro, said he will pay it back in a few weeks...still waiting 9 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

being a wage slave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

sunbeam wrote: »
    Got scammed on eBay by a seller with 100 percent positive feedback and over 2000 ratings. They were selling expensive hair products for about 20 percent less than anywhere else online. Not at all unusual on eBay and great feedback relating to the specific products I purchased.

I never received the items. When I went to open a PayPal case I received a message advising me to skip attempting to communicate with the seller and go straight to filing a claim.

When I went to leave negative feedback I found that 73 other people had already done so before me.

You sure the ratings weren't fake? It's entirely possible that some scammers hire people to leave positive feedback.

It's also possible that he does what a few drug dealers on the dark web do, they deliver to buyers the legitimate product in order to receive enough good feedback and then they start scamming a small percentage of their new buyers

Probably lucky it wasnt a bloke :)

You'd have like that feminine penis though :D

derossi wrote: »
    Loaned a friend 600 Euro, said he will pay it back in a few weeks...still waiting 9 years later.

Could you take him to the small claims court or not? Was it actually a loan or a gift?

Pretty sure oral "loans" aren't considered loans at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

About 12 years ago I bought a new BMW in England. A few months later I decided to put in on Carzone to see if I would get any takers and try to make a healthy profit.

This guy starting emailing me straight away and making all the right noises. Asking questions, more pics etc. He then asked to see the registration papers and my ID to prove I owned it before he made the trip from Belfast. So emailed him copies (Yeah yeah I know...:o).

Heard no more and brushed it off as a time waster. Two issues arose:

1. The same ****er started advertising my car in another part of the country on Carzone and sending my pics and ID as proof. He was pretending to be me and trying to pull a fast one on would be buyers...:mad:

So then I was started getting calls via my legitimate ad saying that the same car was far sale in Dublin for half the price. Obviously now I had coped on so I had a weekly phone call to Carzone getting them to remove the fake ad. It would reappear a few days later and again me phoning. Continued for a few months. Actually once I pretended to be a buyer and that I had sent the money via Western Union to mess around with him. He even set up an email address in my name which was weird. So I sent him the most abusive racist email ever to let off some steam.

2. A few months later one of the local Guards called to the house. Basically some clown in Galway actually fell for the ad and actually wired €15k to the fraudster's bank account without seeing the car or anything. So of course he reported to the Guards and my ID and address came up.

Now I was never under suspicion or anything and I gave a full statement explaining the above and yes I was clown for sending my photo ID etc.

The Guards were only going through the motions. Money was in Nigeria and well gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Worlds Sharpest knife.
    it is sharp, but the blade is so thin its almost useless, bends with any sort of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

A few:

1. I spent €250.00 on an elaborate penis extender kit that ended up in a skip within the month about 10 years ago;

2. The hooker who was a post op Male to Female. To be fair, I was sober and still wasn't 100% sure but it was. I can't say it was a terrible experience though. She was very pretty and a great body.

Many more will come to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A few:

1. I spent €250.00 on an elaborate penis extender kit that ended up in a skip within the month about 10 years ago;

2. The hooker who was a post op Male to Female. To be fair, I was sober and still wasn't 100% sure but it was. I can't say it was a terrible experience though. She was very pretty and a great body.

Many more will come to mind.

There’s more? Than those? :pac:

Advertisement