Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School books you remember

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Redhenrun wrote: »
    That Soundings book looks like its in mint condition. Was it really on the curriculum since 1969? I recall it from the late `70s.

And is that actually a first edition of the book?

Yes, First edition in as new condition

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

80s and 90s books here.

Listen, Sing and Play (primary School music).
    Treasury of English (primary school, picture of pirate on the front)
    Figure it Out (rotten maths book)

And a geography book by a man called Tim McGillicuddy who taught in Scarriff, and there was a whole chapter on the local chipboard factory in it!

Scothscéalta by Padraig O'Conaire for Irish in secondary school.

Deirdre Madden's All About Home Economics (It's recently been reissued but I have the original one I used amongst my cookbooks!)

We also used Exploring English up to JC and Soundings for the LC. Still have them.

Thankfully I avoided Peig because I was doing Ordinary Level Irish post-1993 when it was only inflicted on Honours students. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

The first confession, Frank O'Connor from Exploring English- ah, the memories:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

All in The Cooking
    Soundings
    Jímín

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Ireland since the famine F S Lyons a history book I really liked and which made me interested in history this would have been the late 1970s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Brensbenz I have moved most of your post to a new thread (English as she is spoke) as I think it will make a discussion all of its own :-)
    In reply to this thread you posted:

The first confession, Frank O'Connor from Exploring English- ah, the memories:D

Yes, a classic! IHS = I Have Suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

BrensBenz wrote: »
    I've never figured out how those ingenious / barbaric Romans managed to calculate how many tiles they would need to cover a floor measuring, say, XXIV sandals by XIII sandals.

312???

loved Latin as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

312???

loved Latin as well!!

Let me pull on my black maxi dress and send you to the back of the class.
    The floor may be CCCXII (312) square sandals but, since we weren't given the dimensions of the tiles, we can't proceed. Best take the carrus to B et Q and see what size tegulas are available. Bring your toga maxima because it's a little chilly today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

312???

loved Latin as well!!

:P
    mensa mensae
    mensa mensae
    mensam mensas
    mensae mensarum
    mensae mensis
    mensa mensis

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

sambo and the barn door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

mensa mensae
    mensa mensae
    mensam mensas
    mensae mensarum
    mensae mensis
    mensa mensis

Reminded me of this:

Centurion: What is this then? Romanes eunt domus, "People called Romanes they go the house"?
    Brian: It..it says, "Romans, go home"!
    Centurion: No, it doesn't! What's Latin for "Roman"? [grabs Brian's ear] Come on, come on!
    Brian: Romanus!
    Centurion: Goes like?
    Brian: Annus!
    Centurion: Vocative plural of annus is...?
    Brian: Anni?
    Centurion: [writes] Romani. And eunt? What is eunt?
    Brian: "Go"! Let-
    Centurion: Conjugate the verb "to go".
    Brian: Ire; eo, is, it, imus, itis, eunt!
    Centurion: So eunt is...?
    Brian: Third person plural, present indicative. "They go!"
    Centurion: But "Romans, go home" is an order, so you must use the...?
    Brian: The... imperative!
    Centurion: Which is...?
    Brian: I!
    Centurion: [twisting Brian's ear] How many Romans?
    Brian: [yelling] I.. Plural, plural! Ite, ite!
    Centurion: [writing] Ite. Domus? Nominative? But "go home", it is motion towards, isn't it, boy?
    Brian: Dative, sir!
    [The centurion promptly draws his swords and presses it against Brian's throat. Brian yells:]
    No, not dative! Not the dative, sir! No! The... accusative, accusative! Domum, sir, ad domum!
    Centurion: Except that domus takes the...?
    Brian: The locative, sir!
    Centurion: Which is?
    Brian: Domum!
    Centurion: [writing] Domum... -um [sheathing his sword] Understand? Now, write it out a hundred times!
    Brian: Yes, sir, thank you, sir! Hail Caesar!
    Centurion: Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off!
    Brian: Oh, thank you, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar and everything, sir!

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
    I hated Peig. Would have much preferred to do Latin instead.
    And Soundings. I can't believe it was from 1969. Does it still have Paradise Lost in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I went to school in the UK, in the 60s-70s, and remember exercise books ("copies") that had on the back cover all sorts of info about how many feet were in a mile, stuff about acres, rods,poles,perches,furlongs, chains, and other things kids today won't have heard of.

Do you remember the Irish exercise books / copies that were used in the 70's and 80's that had the wildly inaccurate map of Europe on the back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

bonzodog2, I remember 'exercise' books. On my way home from school my pals from another school would ask me to play but I would say, 'I can't, I have to go home and do my ekker!'. Aaaah, English as it was taught! :o

Looksee, what made the map inaccurate? My schooldays were in the 50's and 60's and I can't remember that.

Jellybaby, these were on my children's copies (yes, I am the same vintage as you! :-)) There was a map of europe, very scruffily drawn. One day we tried to work out where all the countries were and as far as I can remember they had lost Austria, and various other countries were deformed. It was on copies for years, all the time my children were in primary!

looksee wrote: »
    Jellybaby, these were on my children's copies (yes, I am the same vintage as you! :-)) There was a map of europe, very scruffily drawn. One day we tried to work out where all the countries were and as far as I can remember they had lost Austria, and various other countries were deformed. It was on copies for years, all the time my children were in primary!

Aw Looksee, I love being a 'vintage', like cars and wine. Much nicer than being just 'old'. :) I doubt I would have looked that closely at the map anyway - clever you for finding the error.

All in The Cooking
    Soundings
    Jímín

For the love of heaven, I must have everything in my house! I didn't use it in school. I bought it in Eason's because it looked like a good sensible cookery book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Molly007

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    For the love of heaven, I must have everything in my house! I didn't use it in school. I bought it in Eason's because it looked like a good sensible cookery book.
    "All in the cooking"!!! That brings me back. We did cooking in primary school - also laundry skills, kitchen hygiene, knitting, sewing, - no wonder I'm a domestic goddess:D. (we had the nuns of course!)
    One thing I remember about several of my schoolbooks is the clear way the information was presented. In particular the geology book we had for leaving cert - can't rem the name, also our Irish grammer book - they were really simple and well laid out with just the amount of information you needed about the subject. My kids' secondary books on the other hand seemed to be full of "filler" with lots of colour pics but not half as useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭westman1

I remember the book to which you refer: Ecouter et Parler. My experience of it was from 1981 to 1983. French through Irish edition. Can anyone advise on where I might source a copy? English/French edition I can find no problem but would really like to get Irish/French edition. Maybe its nostalgia or old age but even though I gave up French as a subject after my Inter Cert, I still retain the basic structure taught to me by the nemesis of my secondary school years and bizarrely find myself remembering (with fondness!!?) the grilling I got daily from her. Obviously something must have seeped in and lodged in my angst ridden, teenage brain. Go figure! Anyhow, would appreciate any help in my search for same: Ecouter et Parler (Irish/French Edition).

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

There was an excellent prose book at one point for the LC English. It had Hazlitt, Bacon, Stevenson and Charles Lamb, I'd love to get a copy of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Noggle wrote: »
    There was an excellent prose book at one point for the LC English. It had Hazlitt, Bacon, Stevenson and Charles Lamb, I'd love to get a copy of it.

I know it seems like LC compared to today's stuff, but I think that was for Inter. cert.. I think I have it somewhere. I remember an essay on Superannuation.
    Exploring English 2.

edit**
    CUCINA refers to it in this post in this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I loved Peig, but I had a great Irish teacher, who we all loved. She had quite a dry sense of humour, which only a few of us appreciated, but she brought Peig to life with photos of the landscape and islands, along with tales of the 'real' Peig stories, many of which were apparently quite blue, but in the days of McQuaid were not going to be allowed sully young minds.
    Scothscéalta too and I think we may have been the only school to do a bizarre play set in the Plantations called 'Gunna Cam agus Slabhra Óir'.
    Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I still have Eisert (spelling?) in oldstyle Irish script. We were the last year that were allowed write our exams in old celtic writing....much more attractive and none the silly 'h's....

Garlinge wrote: »
    I still have Eisert (spelling?) in oldstyle Irish script. We were the last year that were allowed write our exams in old celtic writing....much more attractive and none the silly 'h's....

I agree entirely. The old script was beautiful. I was useless at Irish but written and spoken properly it is beautiful, unlike the Irish today which is such a makey-uppy language. They've changed some original words and spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

I remember these Irish books from my secondary school days.

Is é Dia an fear is fearr. (1978/79)
    Toraíocht Diarmuid agus Gráinne. (1980/81)
    Cith is Dealáin. (1982/83)
    Caisleáin Óir.(1982/83)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Malachi Unkempt Watchtower

I must admit that, having finished secondary school in 1962, I don't remember the name of a single school book.

And I embarrassingly admit never having gone to secondary so my Irish was in primary school in the 50's!! You heard right.....the 50's!!! :o The year I left they were beginning to change gluaisteán to carr!!! Why? How ridiculous to change an Irish word when it already has a word! I understand new words need inventing if there was no word already in use, i.e. ancient irish people never heard of the word 'supersonic' so a word would have to be invented for it, but who would be the privileged person with that job, inventing new Irish words? Bound to be others who would disagree surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I still have these for some reason

i51yky.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I agree entirely. The old script was beautiful. I was useless at Irish but written and spoken properly it is beautiful, unlike the Irish today which is such a makey-uppy language. They've changed some original words and spelling.

Cinnte!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Peter and Jane.

Advertisement