Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names] - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

fox_1973 wrote: »
    The minds boggles, how does that person get through life

I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't need help getting dressed in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So everyone's profile background is the French flag now.

Somebody somewhere will make this attacks about them to get attention 'well at least my family are safe here in Ireland ' etc

As someone who did do that, I think it's a nice thing to do. I love Paris, I have French relatives, I couldn't believe what I saw last night... I suppose that's me making it all about myself :rolleyes:

Could you imagine that happening in Dublin and you'd French people snarking about people making a tiny gesture on social media? Get over it, I don't remember such shock at a terrorist atrocity since 9/11, and if people want to do something small to show their support for a country that's always been a friend to us, what harm.

It'll all be back to normal next week until the next massacre happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

"DE terrible tings going on in Parse, and whot's de minsters over here doing bout ih? Notting, dats whot.

Well, okay, but what do you really expect the Minister for the Arts, Heritage, and Gaeltacht, Heather Humphries, to do? Hit the terrorists with a hurl?
    Comments include : Wot r we payne dem 4? Bun cha eggits da lot of em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

fox_1973 wrote: »
    The minds boggles, how does that person get through life
    This. I can never understand when some eejit posts an incomprehensible rant, but then all their mates comment underneath in an equally badly written way, yet they all understand each other perfectly! There's at least 3 different dialects of scangerese on my news feed these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

" Fooking Moslims again dirty bastards kill every 1 of the smelly pricks" Needless to say i unfriended that person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

stinkle wrote: »
    This. I can never understand when some eejit posts an incomprehensible rant, but then all their mates comment underneath in an equally badly written way, yet they all understand each other perfectly! There's at least 3 different dialects of scangerese on my news feed these days

Scangerese I love it!! That's my new word :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Soom loon on my feed saying we should pray for Isis to seek the lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

"How did people no what roads to take before Google Maps was invented???"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Them durty scummy evil knackers... And only a few weeks before Christmas anal....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Love2love wrote: »
    Them durty scummy evil knackers... And only a few weeks before Christmas anal....
    The best type of anal, imo.

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The best type of anal, imo.

Comes but once a year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Not really stupid, but I did have to step away from the Facebook today with all the French flags flying every way.

It was terrible attack. But it was quite small and stuff like this does happen quite frequently around the world. Not perpetrated by the same people everywhere, but innocent civilians being murdered for little reason.

It's terribly selective. The country is Western, the city is beautiful. This all makes it worse apparently.

I know many people will disagree with me here, but that's how I feel about it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Not really stupid, but I did have to step away from the Facebook today with all the French flags flying every way.

It was terrible attack. But it was quite small and stuff like this does happen quite frequently around the world. Not perpetrated by the same people everywhere, but innocent civilians being murdered for little reason.

It's terribly selective. The country is Western, the city is beautiful. This all makes it worse apparently.

Yes, I was very impressed by the man in Beirut stopping a suicide bomber by sacrificing his own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Gererreh Tona

" Fooking Moslims again dirty bastards kill every 1 of the smelly pricks" Needless to say i unfriended that person.

Why? That person would be an endless source of entertainment for me to be honest.

I don't disagree with you. It's nothing more than attention seeking through faux sympathy.

I've observed similar with the ice bucket challenge, overnight everyone became super-concerned about motor neurone disease and had to raise as much money as possible for the cause. I would be shocked if even 1% of the people who participated in the ice bucket challenge have donated to a MND charity this year. Why? Because it was nothing more than a flash in the pan attention grab from insecure individuals disguised as sympathy for MND sufferers.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

I don't disagree with you. It's nothing more than attention seeking through faux sympathy.

I've observed similar with the ice bucket challenge, overnight everyone becamse super-concerned about motor neurone disease and had to raise as much money as possible for the cause. I would be shocked if even 1% of the people who participated in the ice bucket challenge have donated to a MND charity this year. Why? Because it was nothing more than a flash in the pan attention grab from insecure individuals disguised as sympathy for MND sufferers.

At least i wasn't the only one who was thinking this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

"OMG get this... As yiz all no by now im off on my holliers.... I was in d airport nd cud u imagine if I was on da plane to Paris instead of Gatwik yd? I wudnt b writein dis status nyway... I just think itz a good time to tell all my family nd friends (yiz no who ye r) that I hope ur all safe toni..... Be careful of dose lads in the black head scarves and al (Derz 1 of dem stayin in my hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!) and if my hotel is blewn up den at lest u al no hu it was..... Lock ur doors!!! Night face****ers!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Ignorance beyond all belief.

glued wrote: »
    "OMG get this... As yiz all no by now im off on my holliers.... I was in d airport nd cud u imagine if I was on da plane to Paris instead of Gatwik yd? I wudnt b writein dis status nyway... I just think itz a good time to tell all my family nd friends (yiz no who ye r) that I hope ur all safe toni..... Be careful of dose lads in the black head scarves and al (Derz 1 of dem stayin in my hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!) and if my hotel is blewn up den at lest u al no hu it was..... Lock ur doors!!! Night face****ers!"

Oh come on, that can't be real.........can it???

She's the load her mother should've swallowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

A few years ago I wouldn't have believed that such thick ignorant people existed. Sadly,thanks to Facebook, now I know they do.
    '' I was in d airport''....So being a no-brained, thick-as-**** racist doesn't bar you from being granted a passport.
    And yet having a conviction for riding a bike without lights could, just possibly, bar you from entry to the U.S.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

She's the load her mother should've swallowed.

Or the bit that should have dribbled down her father's leg.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That's fair enough, it can be a tad overbearing at times. On the flipside, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of experts on Middle Eastern death toll that come out of the woodwork after tragedies like this. '120 people were killed at a hootenanny in Turkmenistan but nobody seems to care about them because they've brown skin. Just saying. ' The fact is they didn't care about them either until they were a handy statistic to prove how much more socially aware they are than their Facebook friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

That's fair enough, it can be a tad overbearing at times. On the flipside, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of experts on Middle Eastern death toll that come out of the woodwork after tragedies like this. '120 people were killed at a hootenanny in Turkmenistan but nobody seems to care about them because they've brown skin. Just saying. ' The fact is they didn't care about them either until they were a handy statistic to prove how much more socially aware they are than their Facebook friends.

I personally am getting sick of all the right-on people pretending that they care about Lebanon or whatever. Just because I post a status about the awful attacks in Paris doesn't mean I don't care about people dying unnecessarily in other countries. The attack in Paris was the worst since WW2. I KNOW people in Paris, I have family there and I live in France. We're not all attention seeking bandwagoners.

I've observed similar with the ice bucket challenge, overnight everyone became super-concerned about motor neurone disease and had to raise as much money as possible for the cause. I would be shocked if even 1% of the people who participated in the ice bucket challenge have donated to a MND charity this year. Why? Because it was nothing more than a flash in the pan attention grab from insecure individuals disguised as sympathy for MND sufferers.

This article may interest you. http://time.com/money/4000583/ice-bucket-challenge-money-donations/

"Even if most donors don’t know what the letters “ALS” stand for or anything about the illness, it’s hard to look a $115 million gift horse in the mouth."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

That's how I'm going to spell sewisoyd from now on...

Stop talking through your howl :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

But the point is many people, me included, aren't experts on the Middle East or other areas of the world where there is conflict... but we aren't the ones putting up French flags and we at least acknowledge that the unrest that is happening elsewhere is no less important, even if we don't know the ins and outs. It's because we realise that we don't know enough about the situation to jump that ol' bandwagon.

A lot of people putting up those stupid flag profile pictures are as uneducated but likely also have a clue that innocent civilians die in horrible ways all around the world every few days.

And if someone is highly educated on world politics and puts up a French flag profile pic, WTF is that about?

Soom loon on my feed saying we should pray for Isis to seek the lord.

From the same guy.

there are thousands of babies killed in the womb every day. By there own mothers. Babies torn apart bit by bit. These are the worst kind of terrorist.

Fookin fruitcake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I feel sorry for any women in his life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement