Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changes to Boards.ie Ltd. company structure

• 22-08-2018 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

We are announcing today some changes to the Boards.ie company structure that will be taking place over the coming weeks, in particular the integration of Boards.ie Ltd. (the company that owns and runs boards.ie) with Journal Media Ltd. (the company that owns and runs thejournal.ie).

Background

Since its launch over 20 years ago Boards has grown from a single Quake forum into one of Ireland’s largest and most popular websites. During its history it has undergone a number of changes in company structure and ownership, most recently separating its sales operation from daft.ie and adverts.ie in 2015. One of the reasons behind this move was because we believed that Boards could be more competitive and could win more advertising business if it operated independently. And indeed this was the case, in the three years up until the end of 2017 Boards grew its revenue by 37%, an important achievement given we plan for Boards to be around for many more years to come and in order to do that we need to make sure it is a financially sustainable business.

However, over the last 6 to 9 months we have seen some significant changes in the digital advertising market in Ireland which is where Boards generates the majority of its revenue. A trend has emerged where advertisers are increasingly choosing to advertise with a smaller number of larger publishers with large audience reach. What this means for Boards is that we are having to work harder and harder to generate the same amount of business as in previous years and it has become clear to us that if this trend continues we will struggle as an independent site. In our view the solution is to become part of a larger group which will allow us to continue to generate the revenue we will need to maintain, grow and develop the site.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Boards.ie: Sean

Journal Media

Over the last couple of months, we have been talking to potential partners that we could join with. We were looking for a partner who would:
    understand and appreciate the unique place that Boards occupies within the Irish internet landscape
    who would be committed to Boards continued growth and development
    who would be complementary rather than competitive from a content perspective
    who would offer strong synergies from a sales and revenue perspective
    who would be of sufficient scale in the digital advertising market, thus ensuring Boards continued sustainability and potential for growth
    who would respect the independence of Boards and our community
    who would understand and embrace the ethos of the site

After talking with a number of potential partners, it became clear to us that by far the best fit was Journal Media and we were delighted that they felt the same way, seeing the clear synergies and benefits of the two companies coming together.

So what will change?

From a user’s perspective, nothing. Boards will continue to be run as Boards, what you see now is what you’ll see after the integration with Journal Media is completed. Same community, same mods, same rules, same site. There will be a change to the corporate and legal structure of the company that runs Boards but not to the site.

From a sales perspective, there will be some (positive!) changes. For example, when pitching to advertisers there will now be the potential to offer packages that include advertising opportunities across both boards.ie and thejournal.ie. We think this will be attractive to advertisers and help us win more business.

Will there be more ads on the site as a result of the integration?

No, there will be no additional ads. However, after the integration with Journal Media we will be able to more effectively sell the ads that we already have.

What will happen during the integration?

As part of the integration, all of Boards.ie Ltd.’s assets and liabilities will be acquired by Journal Media Ltd. and all staff will move over to Journal Media Ltd. So the current Boards team will remain and will continue to work on their current projects. However, Boards.ie Ltd. as a company will be dissolved (i.e. cease to exist as a separate legal entity) leaving the site being owned by Journal Media Ltd.

It is very important to note that this will have no impact on the site itself, boards.ie will continue as is at present.

Does this mean that thejournal.ie will now be interfering in the site or dictating what can or can’t be talked about?

Absolutely not. Journal Media understands and values Boards and the community driven nature of the site.

thejournal.ie has a team of journalists and contributors to generate and publish its content. boards.ie has its user community to do the same. The two sites are very complementary in nature and each of us has our own areas of expertise. Just as boards.ie has no intention of telling thejournal.ie how to do their job, they have no intention of telling us or our community how to do ours!

Timelines

We expect the process to be completed in or around the end of September.

Final thoughts

The overriding priority for us has been securing the long term future of Boards and it has become clear to us that it will be hard for us to do that as an independent company.

Journal Media offers an exciting opportunity for Boards to continue its journey for many more years to come. They understand Boards and respect and appreciate our community, they are excited about the opportunity this presents and they are of sufficient scale to effectively compete with any of the major publishing groups operating in Ireland. And this is important … with the growing dominance of search and social (companies like Google and Facebook) and their ability to capture more and more of the digital advertising spend smaller publishers and websites will struggle. If sites like Boards are to have a future we need to have a bigger presence in the marketplace and integrating with Journal Media gives us that presence.

So Boards is here to stay … the integration will just let us say that with increasing confidence as we look to the future.

Sean Coughlan,
    CEO, Boards.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm curious, will there be any integration for boards.ie accounts to comment on TheJournal.ie and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

So y'all sold out?

Is that the announcement that was supposed to be had instead of that after hours day crap by freshpopcorn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

The same people own Distilled Media as Journal Media so it cant really be considered selling out.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm curious, will there be any integration for boards.ie accounts to comment on TheJournal.ie and the like?

That's an interesting suggestion, though I imagine some discussion and investigation will be required.
    sexmag wrote: »
    So y'all sold out?

Is that the announcement that was supposed to be had instead of that after hours day crap by freshpopcorn?

The After Hours announcement was an After Hours announcement and initiative. We'll make site announcements through official channels so that there can be no confusion or uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I can't say that I'm happy about this.
    I've a bad feeling about it.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I can't say that I'm happy about this.
    I've a bad feeling about it.

The only bad feeling I have is that the journal will own two types of media and have a bigger influence to push any agenda they may or may not have. I know they said they won't but just my gut being sceptical

I'm not saying they do but it makes me uneasy similar to Murdoch and O'Brien having influence over the media.

Cabaal wrote: »

No, at the moment, there are no plans. As per the announcement, both sites stay as is and any integration will be focused on the sales and allowing Boards to able to compete in a changing and much more competitive market, something, as I said, we will need to do to if we are to remain a sustainable business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Where do I buy shares now?

So y'all sold out?

People can categorise this whatever way they want, that's absolutely their prerogative and I won't argue the toss with them.

But I will say that not doing something like puts at significant risk the future viability of the site. Its costs money to keep the lights on and the site up and running, that's just the reality of it. So we need to generate money somehow which for Boards is mainly the ad units on the page and sponsored content.

We could not 'sell out' and continue as we are but from everything we've seen recently it looks like that would mean less and less money coming in. And in that scenario it is hard to see how we could keep the site up and running in its current form.

My own view on this is that far from selling out; we're doing what we can to to not only keep Boards as it but to give it the potential to grow and develop in the future.

The only bad feeling I have is that the journal will own two types of media and have a bigger influence to push any agenda they may or may not have. I know they said they won't but just my gut being sceptical

I'm not saying they do but it makes me uneasy similar to Murdoch and O'Brien having influence over the media.

I hear you but I think there is one fundamental difference between Boards and The Journal and the examples you give above, and it's this ..

Other media companies create and publish their own content which is subject to editorial oversight. Media owners may have the potential to influence editorial policy and therefore exert some degree of control over the content (although I must stress that in my view this is absolutely not the case for The Journal).

But in Boards, we (i.e. the company and its staff) don't generate our own content, the users of the site do. Therefore we have no control over the content that is created (other than removing abusive, spam, trolling content etc. that breaches the Terms of Use of the site) and neither will The Journal. It is up to Boards users to decide what they want to talk about and how they want to talk about it. I can't see how we or The Journal can, in any meaningful way, influence that.

And just in case anyone thinks that we may be able to influence things by promoting content we like and suppressing content we don't, the whole site is monitored and policed by our mods and admins, all of whom are volunteers selected from the Boards community and all of whom a) won't let us get away with trying to exert any undue influence on the site, and b) who are not shy about robustly challenging us back if they think we are in any way overstepping the mark :)

People can categorise this whatever way they want, that's absolutely their prerogative and I won't argue the toss with them.

But I will say that not doing something like puts at significant risk the future viability of the site. Its costs money to keep the lights on and the site up and running, that's just the reality of it. So we need to generate money somehow which for Boards is mainly the ad units on the page and sponsored content.

We could not 'sell out' and continue as we are but from everything we've seen recently it looks like that would mean less and less money coming in. And in that scenario it is hard to see how we could keep the site up and running in its current form.

My own view on this is that far from selling out we're doing what we can to to not only keep Boards as it but to give it the potential to grow and develop in the future.

I'm not being smart but there has been a general fall of usership since 2010

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=IE&q=Boards.ie

Has there been nothing you guys could have done to increase figures over that time?

The AMA's have been great but I find it hard to believe you guys couldnt find ways to keep the sight increasing its viewing figures

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Will we have the low quality journalists from TheJournal.ie pushing their own views or agendas as sticky threads on Boards or will curent rules remain the way they are.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭warsaw2018

good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Vertical integration usually mean that eventually boards and thejournal will become merged by osmosis. One day we'll log on to find it's no longer a message board and more like reddit with story content mixed in.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Will we have the low quality journalists from TheJournal.ie pushing their own views or agendas as sticky threads on Boards or will curent rules remain the way they are.
    Obviously how the site is managed is now down to the combined business. However I would be very, very surprised if something like this happened. We are all fully aware that posters would not take kindly to any suggestion the "business" rather than users are driving content (outside the Talk To and verified rep areas, which are presumably continuing as revenue sources)

Ultimately though any "business" requires funding. The tech world has moved on very rapidly. Platforms evolve and people look for something different from their interactions on sites like this. In order to adapt (and indeed maintain the site even at it's current state) investment is required. Employees who try to keep the site running need paying

The site remains free to users, although they can "chip in" via subscriptions. However even if it has fallen back from it's "heyday" (and I would suggest that heyday was as much down to a lot more people having time on their hands to get involved in sites like this) it still shows long term growth trends. It will continue to evolve, but it will require investment to both maintain and adapt. It's no different from any business really (and to those who think it should not be a business, I would ask the question how would they think a site like this could survive without investment)

Beasty wrote: »
    It's no different from any business really (and to those who think it should not be a business, I would ask the question how would they think a site like this could survive without investment)

Well for one thing they could take a leaf out of reddit book*shudder* and have advertised pay to have a promoted posted every so often after a few threads, to be honest I wouldn't mind that so much but again not being smart I don't boards have the viewers required to sustain such advertisement deal

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well for one thing they could take a leaf out of reddit book*shudder* and have advertised pay to have a promoted posted every so often after a few threads, to be honest I wouldn't mind that so much but again not being smart I don't boards have the viewers required to sustain such advertisement deal
    This issue is getting the balance right. I appreciate your comment about whether there is enough critical mass to make it viable, but even if it is, what would the reaction of the general userbase be? We already have posters complaining about certain advertising content. Some of those complaints may well be valid, but generally there seems to be an aversion to having too much advertising content.

Even if they could optimise the position, what works now may not work in a couple of years time (and Sean has already highlighted a change in advertising practices which have adversely affected this site)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=IE&q=Boards.ie

Has there been nothing you guys could have done to increase figures over that time?

The AMA's have been great but I find it hard to believe you guys couldnt find ways to keep the sight increasing its viewing figures

What suggestions do you have to increase the viewing figures for boards?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Whatever keeps the lights on and boards running is good news to me.

Obviously how the site is managed is now down to the combined business. However I would be very, very surprised if something like this happened. We are all fully aware that posters would not take kindly to any suggestion the "business" rather than users are driving content (outside the Talk To and verified rep areas, which are presumably continuing as revenue sources)

I'd just to reinforce that point, as I've said Boards content is entirely driven by our users, that is the essence of the site and I think Beasty is quite right is saying that users wouldn't put up with anyone (us here in the office,The Journal or anyone else) trying to dictate or drive the content in a certain direction. And why would either us or The Journal try to do that? Where's the benefit? Ultimately, the business benefits most by having the maximum number of users possible visiting the site. That drives up the audience figures which allows us to sell more advertising for a higher price. Antagonising our users by trying to force certain agendas will only drive down the number of users on the site, not drive it up. And that will mean less revenue, not more. So, it is in everyone's interest not to do that, including from a business perspective.

Fears of The Journal or anyone else interfering on users ability to decide for themselves what content they want to put up on the site do not make sense - any attempt to do that, looked at from a purely business perspective, would be self defeating and negatively impact on revenue.
    Ultimately though any "business" requires funding.

This is very true, there are not insignificant costs associated with keeping the site running and this money has to be found somewhere.
    The tech world has moved on very rapidly. Platforms evolve and people look for something different from their interactions on sites like this.
    Boards operates in a very different environment than we did 10 or 20 years ago. The explosion in social media means a lot more competition for people's online time. The move to mobile has required a radical shift in how content is presented and consumed. So keeping an established site like Boards relevant and significant in this rapidly evolving landscape requires some thought and effort and just because we haven't seen the rates of growth that we did in the early days doesn't mean that we have been standing still.

There is an impression among some that Boards isn't a significant site anymore in terms of users and audience numbers. I just don't think this is correct and people don't realise how well Boards continues to do. Both looking at our own data and at external rating services (for example ComScore, Neilsen, Yahoo Alexa) we remain one of the most popular sites in the world for the Irish internet audience. This is no mean achievement for 20 year site and at times I don't think we help our self by being overly negative about the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

I thought Boards would merge with a similar site in the UK. Something like:

- you could choose to go to the general discussions (UK and IE) or if you wanted to get specific information/discussions you would go the UK or IE area.

The benefits for advertisers would have been the ability to advertise for UK only, IE only or both. It gives access to more advertising companies and for users a bigger choice of discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

all of Boards.ie Ltd.’s assets and liabilities will be acquired by Journal Media Ltd. and all staff will move over to Journal Media Ltd. So the current Boards team will remain and will continue to work on their current projects. However, Boards.ie Ltd. as a company will be dissolved (i.e. cease to exist as a separate legal entity) leaving the site being owned by Journal Media Ltd.
    So is this a merger or a takeover?

muffler wrote: »
    So is this a merger or a takeover?
    It could arguably be defined as either

In the sense the Journal company is acquiring a Boards business it could be considered a takeover

On the other hand the two businesses are being merged within the Journal legal entity

Either way, my understanding was that both businesses are ultimately held by the Distilled Media Group. TBH in such a situation it's semantics however it's described, as the resultant combined business will remain controlled by the Distilled Media Group

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In the sense the Journal company is acquiring a Boards business it could be considered a takeover

On the other hand the two businesses are being merged within the Journal legal entity

Either way, my understanding was that both businesses are ultimately held by the Distilled Media Group. TBH in such a situation it's semantics however it's described, as the resultant combined business will remain controlled by the Distilled Media Group
    My limited knowledge of business would have me believe that there is a difference between a merger and a takeover so Im a little confused as to why the CEO has described this activity as a merger given the fact that he has also said that all assets, liabilities and staff will be acquired by Journal Media Ltd. 2 companies merging into one would or should result in the formation of a new company.....BoJo Ltd would be a good name for it :P

Yeah, point taken that DMG will be the big bad daddy in all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

well this news will make me think twice about creating threads in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

In my experience it's better not to muddy the waters because it can't be both. Often takeovers will be described as "mergers" in order to make the staff from the company being absorbed feel more comfortable..... but that's not necessarily a good thing, as it causes all sorts of resistance, delays and confusion on both sides in the end.

Anyway, I couldn't give a toss either way. Congrats to ye. Hopefully this will lead to an enhanced user experience.

• Advertisement

well this news will make me think twice about creating threads in future

Why?

Advertisement