Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene foster to attend ulster final

• 24-06-2018 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

She gets plenty of stick for being a unionist and generally coming across as anti-nationlist

But I think she deserves massive credit for attending this (so many boardsies malign the gaa :()and hope she receives a good reception

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

verycool wrote: »
    I don't.

Same here. The cunning bitch is cosying up to the Gaa and she has May by the short & curlies regardind Brexit and the Irish border. Can never warm to her:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hilarious the hole she has dug for herself and her party over Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

I bet she regrets going now. ....game was shiite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

At least someone from fermanagh turned up for the game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Blaas4life wrote: »
    She gets plenty of stick for being a unionist and generally coming across as anti-nationlist

But I think she deserves massive credit for attending this (so many boardsies malign the gaa :()and hope she receives a good reception
    Can't stand the oul trout, but yer on the ball. She has been directly affected by the war, her Da got shot in front of her as a young kid. It won't be easy to for her to stand there cheering on Fermanagh,so we can't deny credit on that front. Very humble and very brave. Relating to the first part of your post, she is anti nationalist. Thing is though, none of her predecessors made the effort of doing similar before. It's progress I suppose, albeit a tiny piece of progress but there ya go. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

verycool wrote: »
    I don't.

Same here. The cunning bitch is cosying up to the Gaa and she has May by the short & curlies regardind Brexit and the Irish border. Can never warm to her:mad:.
    Why would she be cosying up to the GAA and for what purpose? I'll still be voting DUP at the next election for obvious reasons, not because of she went to some GAA event.

Taytoland wrote: »
    Why would she be cosying up to the GAA and for what purpose?.

Gonna go out on a guess and say it's for outreach to nationlists??
    As when this brexit is done and dusted they'll still have to find away to work together

I doubt we'll see her training u16 camoige or anything soon like....but can't have been easy for her to step foot into clones as could've faced a very hostile environment and noone would've taught less of her if she didn't go

Why would she be cosying up to the GAA and for what purpose?.

Gonna go out on a guess and say it's for outreach to nationlists??
    As when this brexit is done and dusted they'll still have to find away to work together

I doubt we'll see her training u16 camoige or anything soon like....but can't have been easy for her to step foot into clones as could've faced a very hostile environment and noone would've taught less of her if she didn't go
    The conflict has been over for 20 years. She was hardly going to experience big hostility. She holds Unionist views, I'm sure most Irish nationalists acknowledge that and aren't gong to cry about it or get hysterical because they disagree with her.

Why would she be cosying up to the GAA and for what purpose? I'll still be voting DUP at the next election for obvious reasons, not because of she went to some GAA event.

If you were the cynical type, you could easily write this off as just another publicity stunt in the clusterf*ck that is blue politics in the occupied six. As I mentioned above though, she seen her father shot as a child and witnessing something like that sticks on ya. Believe me. Personally, I think she is genuine on this one and should be commended. Anyways it's too nice a day to be chattin politics, so I'm gunna grab meself an orangesoda and cool down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I bet she regrets going now. ....game was shiite

Sure who could do anything with herself glaring at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

For what obvious reasons?

Odhinn wrote: »
    Sure who could do anything with herself glaring at them.

I get unwarranted erections on public transport, when I'm nearly at my stop I picture Arlene. Saves me having to strategically place a newspaper over my groin.

For what obvious reasons?
    Unionist views. Pretty obvious to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭Patser

It's all positive small steps. Prince Charles shook Martin McGuinness' hand, someone that probably had knowledge on his uncle's murder. An Taoiseach visited an Orange Hall recently. Arlene at the GAA. Its only 10 years since any of this would have been unthinkable, acts of treachery by all involved on all sides. Now its all about showing how much things have moved on, and for those stuck in the past it's time to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The recent referendum debate, amongst other things, has shown the northern gaa member to be rather conservative. The sort of people that are the natural electorate of the DUP; if it wasn't for historical and sectarian reasons.

Be that as it may....she is undoubtedly showing something approaching leadership and reach out and given she is hamstrung by trying to represent likes of uda at times,

She deserves credit for this,

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

Ah was wondering why a dog was allowed on the pitch - tell her to leave it at home next time she decides to visit

That's why I said war, and not 'the troubles'. Regardless of creed, no child should see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can't stand the oul trout, but yer on the ball. She has been directly affected by the war, her Da got shot in front of her as a young kid. It won't be easy to for her to stand there cheering on Fermanagh,so we can't deny credit on that front.

Cant be easy? Do you think her old lad was shot by a Fermanagh corner back or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,745 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anyone know was she there for the national anthem?

Robinson sat in the car while it played, such lack of respect should be treated as such. I would have withdrawn his invite tbh.

Locally there is a sense that Arlene was snookered into this, I don't believe, given her insulting remarks about the 1916 commemorations, that this was her own initiative.
    It's fairly redundant window dressing as a result.

Her dad was a combatant, war is horrible but he was a legit target by any measure[/quote]
    So Sinn Fein politicians deserved to targeted then? Seeing as they represented the PIRA.

So Sinn Fein politicians deserved to targeted then? Seeing as they represented the PIRA.

Her dad was a policeman I taught?

Bambi wrote: »
    Cant be easy? Do you think her old lad was shot by a Fermanagh corner back or something?

Obviously not,unless Fermanagh are putting an over 55s team out. Nonetheless, it would be a pretty safe bet to say that somebody on the Fermanagh county board had a hand in it. You know that, I know that and she certainly knows that. Geebag as she is, I think she's a humble and brave woman to attend the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,745 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Her dad was a policeman I taught?

He was.
    Arlene's experience of the troubles is somehow deserving of more than all the thousands of others who were affected by it.
    It is used to excuse her belligerent behaviour far too often.

Obviously not,unless Fermanagh are putting an over 55s team out. Nonetheless, it would be a pretty safe bet to say that somebody on the Fermanagh county board had a hand in it. You know that, I know that and she certainly knows that. Geebag as she is, I think she's a humble and brave woman to attend the last two games.

Think one fermanagh players tweeted her with a ticket offer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Met her one night in Ballyjamesduff, here in Cavan.
    Like all politicians she has the knack of making you feel that what you're telling her is critically important, and that you're the only one in the room.
    Forceful personality, but still easy to talk to.
    The group she was with went for a Chinese down the town afterwards ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Some good matches on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Unionist views. Pretty obvious to me.

Lots of people with Onionist views vote for other parts. And indeed, when it comes to small u-unionism, on polling evidence many vote SDLP and even SF!

So would this be view of what one might call a "hardline" nature? Or just voting for the biggest Blue team by default?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Anyone know was she there for the national anthem?

Robinson sat in the car while it played, such lack of respect should be treated as such. I would have withdrawn his invite tbh.

Locally there is a sense that Arlene was snookered into this, I don't believe, given her insulting remarks about the 1916 commemorations, that this was her own initiative.
    It's fairly redundant window dressing as a result.
    She stood, but given it was f
    In the republic it was just good manners, would she do it up north?

Advertisement