Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Unfolding!!

Is Rupp the dude in bib 18?? I'm watching it on Facebook live. That gear looks wrong, whatever the weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cona wrote: »
    Yep, he keeps putting in bursts to drop the pack for a few minutes before slotting back into the pack :) seems he is not interested in a pedestrian pace

Well he runs 2:10 every other week regardless of the course, conditions, fancy dress so I'd assume he's just going to do the same again.

He seems to be the only one not wearing extra layers. I guess with the Yuki suit on though he doesn't need a long sleeve top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Itziger wrote: »
    Is Rupp the dude in bib 18?? I'm watching it on Facebook live. That gear looks wrong, whatever the weather.

The number is across the zip of the jacket which makes taking it off fairly difficult, unless he rips the number off first. Schoolboy error...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The number is across the zip of the jacket which makes taking it off fairly difficult, unless he rips the number off first. Schoolboy error...

He’s gone anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd guess they gave them extra bibs and have one on every layer.

Kirui looking strong, 55 sec lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Linden going well. First American to win here in the professional era. Not bad considering she was only 4th favourite American at the start of the weekend.

Linden going well. First American to win here in the professional era. Not bad considering she was only 4th favourite American at the start of the weekend.

She appeared to wait for Flanagan to after her toilet stop & helped her back up to the main pack.

Yuki is coming!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

OOnegative wrote: »
    Yuki is coming!!!

Get in! Delighted for him.....one tough mofo!!!

Arguably the best winning double as a whole for the sport in general.

That was something else. Kirui was stumbling in the last few hundred metres. He was passed by a couple of the women he'd caught. Just incredible.
    I wonder if the Ethiopian woman who was leading even finished. Molly Huddle crossing the line looking like a drunk as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Slowest winning times since '78 for the women, and '76 for the men!

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

28064212 wrote: »

Is it any wonder?!

https://twitter.com/alistaircragg/status/985848656241848320

28064212 wrote: »

Man rarely goes wrong with weather predictions

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/04/boston-marathon-weather-going-horrific-expect-see-slowest-winning-time-least-30-years/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Poor Paulie et al, that's desperate weather.

Closest I can see to scenes like this attached is maybe World XC back in Mombassa 07

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

robinph wrote: »
    Well he runs 2:10 every other week regardless of the course, conditions, fancy dress so I'd assume he's just going to do the same again.

He seems to be the only one not wearing extra layers. I guess with the Yuki suit on though he doesn't need a long sleeve top.

Wow wasn't able to keep an eye on the 2nd half of the race so that's just blown my mind that Yuki won! Can't wait for the next episode of Marathon Talk I'd imagine they'll start a campaign for sainthood for him :)

opus wrote: »
    Wow wasn't able to keep an eye on the 2nd half of the race so that's just blown my mind that Yuki won! Can't wait for the next episode of Marathon Talk I'd imagine they'll start a campaign for sainthood for him :)

I imagine there will be alot more coverage of his next race (Next Sunday Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon for anyone interested :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I’m in the boozer now. 3:06 for me (sorry Ger) - thought the heat in 2016 was bad but it was easier manage those conditions. Wind wasn’t really a factor in the 1st half but the cold got to me and my hamstrings were on the edge of cramping from only 15k on. 2nd half of Boston is always tough but today it was a pure grind. Magic race and amazing effort and energy from the volunteers and spectators - please God I’ll be back for the 5th time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Picked up a stomach bug on Sunday. All seemed sorta ok ...but the first gel led to HR hitting max, and pace hitting min! Abandoned at 13 when it was clear I was not going to finish. The irony of surviving the condition but being brought down anyway. So oboe have a dnf to pair with my 2 dnss and 2010 shutout. At least I made the Boston Globe. I am the New Jersey resident on the right https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/04/16/marathon-runners-treated-for-injuries-wellesley/JhQbVspqLwJEy4XFKjvULI/story.html

Yeah, in the church we were taken too after the med tent the way only smiles occurred when the news of Yuki's wins came of Boston in.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Yeah, in the church we were taken too after the med tent the way only smiles occurred when the news of Yuki's wins came of Boston in.

PG, did you bang your head yesterday, man, or are you using a mixture of Google Translate and predictive texting?

Itziger wrote: »
    PG, did you bang your head yesterday, man, or are you using a mixture of Google Translate and predictive texting?

Tired and emotional and old, typing on phone without my glasses 🙄

I imagine there will be alot more coverage of his next race (Next Sunday Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon for anyone interested :p )

He took it handy and just trotted around in 64mins plus today.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

That was some experience. That weather was just horrendous. I've a chest infection for my effort. The Atmosphere and support is hard to put words to. The race is all that and more. I was sick as a dog with a cold but managed to grind out a 3 flat which I am very proud of. I would love to give it a lash again.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, Paulie in particular, it really helped.

Good article on Yuki in Boston from Japan Running News - How it Happened

• Advertisement

Good article on Yuki in Boston from Japan Running News - How it Happened

Great read. Thanks for posting.

Advertisement