Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning much colder, frost and some sleet/snow esp North and West April 25th ==>

• 22-04-2015 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭

hi, Hi, HI all again!

Sunday night is interesting atm for any potential snowfall which could be anywhere really but most likely in the north and west.

A real shift in reverse gear over the weekend (from Saturday night) from what we have had the last few weeks as it becomes more unsettled but much, much colder too as the winds come directly from the pole. At night frosts will return and even icy patches.

Temperatures falling back to mid single figures during daylight hours and sub zero for most overnight for the second half of the weekend and early next week away from windward coasts.

Take care and wrap up well:)

Isn't it beautiful?

Rtavn962.gif

More tomorrow...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Sh!t just got serious... The frog just came out of hibernation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm sure the specifics will change but gfs is currently pushing for a fairly major snow event in many parts on Sunday night. Right, that's that jinxed now 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So what you're saying is I can go on the beer Sunday night, I'll be snowed in Monday morning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Rikand wrote: »
    So what you're saying is I can go on the beer Sunday night, I'll be snowed in Monday morning?

Very doubtful, im cutting silage on Monday anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

This is typical GFS cold-bias output, as other models are showing nowhere near as cold. The flow originates near the pole but will divert southwestwards around Iceland and stagnate for 24 hrs before finally reaching Ireland in a greatly modified state. The ECMWF shows T850 -4 to -6 at best at the coldest hours on Tuesday morning, so maybe some sleet on mountains for a narrow window but really just cold rain and a marked cooling for 99% of the population.

ecm05_nhem_msl_t850_2015042212_144.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Bit of s change there already. Sunshine hazy bit of a breeze and not as hot as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

Isn't it beautiful?

Rtavn962.gif

More tomorrow...[/QUOTE]
    Maybe for christmas day i reckon it's just being overblown

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

not as hot as yesterday.

We have acquired definitions of "hot" in Ireland:pac:

I wouldn't be so quick to rule anything in or out. If anything UKMO and ECM have moved more toward the GFS output so definitely some potentially interesting weather ahead.

Be fun seeing people adapt though from T-shirts to Eskimo fashion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought people were winding me up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

My poor tulips :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I did not like MT's parting shot for Ireland in this morning's forecast;

"There are indications of a prolonged spell of rather cold weather following on, with the average about 4 degrees below normal values on guidance for the first half of May."

Pants:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I did not like MT's parting shot for Ireland in this morning's forecast;

"There are indications of a prolonged spell of rather cold weather following on, with the average about 4 degrees below normal values on guidance for the first half of May."

Pants:(

2012 all over again :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's the northern half of the country most at risk from any snowfall on Sunday night though the precise area is fluid. After Monday the snow risk abates but temperatures look to remain low for the week with night time frosts again a feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

my head is wrecked... thought I wouldn't be back in the Weather Forum until November! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm concerned about the may bank holiday weekend. I plan to be out and about don't fancy getting rained on and freezing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

perhaps the past 3 weeks was our summer with a potentially cool and unsettled May-August. Happens way to often for my liking in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    perhaps the past 3 weeks was our summer with a potentially cool and unsettled May-August. Happens way to often for my liking in Ireland.

:pac::confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

:pac::confused:

just me guessing! incoming cold weather, could it be the repeat of the bitterly cold summer of 2012?, the past month has been dry and sunny, the past 2 summers have been decent is it possible to have 3 good summers in a row in Ireland!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭ando

emo72 wrote: »
    I'm concerned about the may bank holiday weekend. I plan to be out and about don't fancy getting rained on and freezing.

Feck sake, I'm getting married on 3rd May!! The last few days I was thinking, 'you know what, it could be alright' .. but eh... no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

My poor tulips :(

I'm just hoping that all the seeds I planted outside this week didn't have time to germinate yet. Fortunately I've no tulips to worry about as our local free range sheep ate them all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

ando wrote: »
    Feck sake, I'm getting married on 3rd May!! The last few days I was thinking, 'you know what, it could be alright' .. but eh... no
    Ahh marriage isn't that bad;)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

sunbeam wrote: »
    I'm just hoping that all the seeds I planted outside this week didn't have time to germinate yet. Fortunately I've no tulips to worry about as our local free range sheep ate them all...

I'm in the same boat with seeds & plants planted. Time to get the fleece out :(

Gonzo wrote: »
    just me guessing! incoming cold weather, could it be the repeat of the bitterly cold summer of 2012?, the past month has been dry and sunny, the past 2 summers have been decent is it possible to have 3 good summers in a row in Ireland!?

2012 is whats worrying me too - May that year wasn't great - June, July and August were very poor.

Fodder crisis in spring 2013 resulted from that :( - scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Ahh marriage isn't that bad;)

You must be female😆

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Bord Gais Rubbing hands together.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I thought i had the heating turned off until next winter, bah! The stove went out in a blaze of glory a couple of weeks ago , now i have no fuel left, feckin gibbons :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Personally, wet summers don't bother me in the least. Love the rain :) all the more so when it is warm rain. It can pour from the heavens as far as I am concerned. There is an added bonus to having wet summers as well in that it keeps the chavs and scangers off the streets. Never a bad thing.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heres the latest forecast from ME, amazing to see such a wintry forecast after the week we have had, it will be quite fascinating to see the change. I wonder will it have much of an impact on wildlife.

Sunday will be a cold day. Many southern areas should be dry, but showers will develop elsewhere, with some hail in northern areas. A few may turn wintry over higher ground in the north of the country. Winds will be moderate to fresh northerly and afternoon temperatures will be only 9 or 10 degrees at best and with the added wind chill factor, it will feel very cold. Sunday night will be very cold, with temperatures below freezing nationwide. Frost will be widespread, with possibly some icy patches too. Many places dry, but showers, some wintry, are expected to move into western and northern coastal counties later in the night.

Monday, currently looks like being the coldest day, with moderate to fresh westerly winds and widespread showers. Top temperatures just 7 to 9 C., at best and feeling colder in the wind. Some showers are likely to turn wintry over parts of Connacht and Ulster. This mainly on high ground, but a few flurries of sleet or snow could affect lower levels too, especially in the morning. Temperatures again below freezing overnight, but the winds will ease and any wintry showers will become confined to western and northwestern coasts.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Personally, wet summers don't bother me in the least. Love the rain :) all the more so when it is warm rain. It can pour from the heavens as far as I am concerned. There is an added bonus to having wet summers as well in that it keeps the chavs and scangers off the streets. Never a bad thing.

That's all very good - unless you've got a farm with silage to save and crops to grow :rolleyes:

Too much rain is actually A MAJOR issue in that scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Old diesel wrote: »
    That's all very good - unless you've got a farm with silage to save and crops to grow :rolleyes:

Too much rain is actually A MAJOR issue in that scenario

Yes and a bit heat this time of year can do wonders. Wouldn't mind it turning a bit unsettled at the moment if it was to be of the thundery variety, nothing major, but very bad time of the year for a cold spell to start.

Advertisement