Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options
  • 07-12-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

[Totally subtle plug for subforum request thread]

Given it takes around six weeks or so to get a new subforum either approved or rejected I figured I'd create a new general discussion thread for stuff which doesn't fall under the currently existing three main threads (beta, guilds and CE) so we don't clutter Massively Multiplayer too much with split-off one. I also hope this might generate a bit more active discussion because people may want to discuss stuff but are hesitant to start an entire thread on the topic.

Figure I might as well start off as I'm here:

How have people been finding the Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior ACs?

Levelled an Immortal Juggernaut to 19 last weekend and I found outside of having a lot of armour and health it doesn't feel particularly tank-y, couldn't hold threat against a mate's DPS companion (first Agent one) and we seem to have very little in the way of AoE or CC in order to keep control over enemy mobs. Spammed taunt as often as I could, kept her guarded and was obviously in Soresu form but it just felt very half ineffective. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looking forward to release immensely, i really cannot decide what class to roll.
    I can a dozen alts to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

You and me both mate, I spent the entirety of the first beta weekend playing as many of classes as I could to get a feel for which I liked the most, in the end I just wanted to play all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

How have people been finding the Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior ACs?
    I was fine for the PvE stuff and enjoyed it a lot. Force Charge is a ridiculously nice mobility manoeuver too. I didn't run into the issues that you came across, threat generation was ok for me.

In PvP though it felt a little gimped. I think this was mainly due to having very little cc at low levels in comparison to the likes of the Sorcerer which has at least 4. Apparently SW does get a decent cc in mid 20's though, so hopefully it'll be slightly more competitive after that.

As above the class choice is definitely tough though. The 'meatiness' of the Juggernaught in PvE is very nice, the IA's story and dialogue choices are the most interesting and as for SI...lightning...'nuff said. That leaves BH as the only one I know definitely wont be my first char.

Eh Force Charge is a bit of a mixed bag for me. Love the ability but the range is such a pain, really think it should be 4-30 metres rather than 10-30 given the level of DPS and CC ranged classes are able to bring down on us so quickly. I've leaped in on targets only to be repulsed away out of melee range after 2 seconds and then kited to death before I have any real chance to get them in range again.

As I said though, I was only level 19 so here's hoping things improve with time. Really don't agree with BioWare giving the ranged classes significantly more CC and AoE DPS than melee ones but maybe that's just the bitter JK/SW in me talking.

I actually played a BH the weekend before last and loved the story. As a Light-Sider I felt I was very much a man with his own code, rather than some kind of hired thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

Check your emails to be directed to download the new game client. http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111207

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

I started downloading from www.swtor.com/downloads earlier today worked fine <:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

So tell me whats it like in general, is it going to be another warhammer/aion/rift thing where you play it for a month then realise it has no staying power or is it going to be like wowand keep you interested for a few years (do you get that ow just one more level feeling) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

They announced that early access will now be on the 13th!! 2 days sooner than previously advertised!!!

if you have added your pre order code into your account,you can now go and download the up to date game client so you will be ready when you recieve your email telling you that your now able to log into your early access

i think that the reason for 2 days earlier is because due to the success of the last 2 weekends betas,the flood of gameplay videos on youtube and people in general talking about the game that bioware has seen an increase in the number of pre orders in the last 2 weeks, and due to this they dont want to give people only 1 day early access and have us feeling ripped off so they will now give people who have recently pre ordered 2 - 4 days access instead and those who pre ordered months ago 7 days so they dont feel left out..

it could also be bcoz of some confusion on their website where it said order now and get up to 5 days early access,this was on their site up untill a few days ago. some people complained that ordering at such a late date completely rules out 5 days access,so the website should have changed this instead of misleading people and trying to push the last few pre order sales..they could have easily said pre order now and get 2 days access or 1 days access but they left it at "up to 5"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Street date in Europe is now the 15th, we should be able to pick up boxes by then. US is still 20th. =/

Tomorrow morning, call Game and see if they know this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hopefully should get the game a day or two before the 15th in that case, with GameStop express delivery. Only pre-ordered it this morning, but will hopefully get a few days extra game time.

Think i might book the 15th and 16th off work...just in case :P

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote: »
    Street date in Europe is now the 15th, we should be able to pick up boxes by then. US is still 20th. =/

Tomorrow morning, call Game and see if they know this.

They don't. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hmm, might depend on the store. The one in Liffey Valley are aware of the change (seems they were a few days ago even, as they told me the same then).

They don't know how the headstart works so I gave them a bit of detail on that, but they're selling them on the 15th and telling people the game goes live on the 20th.

Checked my CE preorder was okay too, they only got 3 or 4 for that store :o
    It's too late to order any more CEs according to them.

They don't. *sigh*

Didn't figure they would, they didn't hear about the release being pushed back to the 20th for almost a month after it was initially announced and the brick and mortar stores heard about it still after the website changed. :rolleyes:

I'll pop into the lads in Cruise's Street today and find out if they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Talking a a friend of mine he said really till level 20 you can not hold argo much at all as you only really start getting taunt skills at 20+ .

Played a BH powertech too loved the class but it did annoy me i couldn't hold argo , mind you Live i am rolling a Trooper Commando healer/dps and later on i'll roll a tank Consular.

Again this game is one game where i want to play every class as they are enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

So how is this game, guys? For the people that played in BETA I'd love to ehar some feedback. I'm waiting for a game to occupy my time until GW2 is released and I saw quite a few streams and videos of this in BETA. I saw some guys f*cking sh*t up in PvP and it looked pretty interesting (although incredibly linear objectives). Is it worth spending money on or should I just stick to what I'm palying?

I'm pretty much done with PvE after playing WoW for years and years and really looking for a more fun PvP experience. I'm really not going to waste my time on something until GW2 comes out because we all know it's going to be incredible.

Cheers,
    ~Sinister.

He's right(ish) - pre level 14 you can't tank at all. Level 14 is your threat increasing stance, and it becomes possible to hold aggro. The taunt makes it easier, as does some talents - level 20 is where you can properly do it, and is also when it starts to be needed for heroics and flashpoints.

Edit: Didn't really do PvP, but if that's your focus then I'd say it might not be the game for you - it seems to be a more PvE oriented game. There's only 3 battlegrounds, and open world PvP isn't available till about level 20

koneko wrote: »
    Hmm, might depend on the store. The one in Liffey Valley are aware of the change (seems they were a few days ago even, as they told me the same then).

They don't know how the headstart works so I gave them a bit of detail on that, but they're selling them on the 15th and telling people the game goes live on the 20th.

Checked my CE preorder was okay too, they only got 3 or 4 for that store :o
    It's too late to order any more CEs according to them.
    Seriously? That's brilliant, I'll call them later and go "But Liffey Valley aren't being crap!" Thanks.

So how is this game, guys? For the people that played in BETA I'd love to ehar some feedback. I'm waiting for a game to occupy my time until GW2 is released and I saw quite a few streams and videos of this in BETA. I saw some guys f*cking sh*t up in PvP and it looked pretty interesting (although incredibly linear objectives). Is it worth spending money on or should I just stick to what I'm palying?

I'm pretty much done with PvE after playing WoW for years and years and really looking for a more fun PvP experience. I'm really not going to waste my time on something until GW2 comes out because we all know it's going to be incredible.

Cheers,
    ~Sinister.

I loved the game it is Very Mass Effect with story and so on pvp from what i played it was fun but i never played any open world pvp but heard they are massive bar the phasing . if you looking for a big pvp game ive really no idea.

I never played GW so can not comment on it PVE wise i enjoyed the way the game was done it really makes you want to group with people and it pays too as well but at the same time you can just solo stuff fairly easy too with your companion .

I really enjoyed the crafting in the game as well and i usually hate crafting in MMO's

It's pretty stupid that they aren't going to send us emails about when we get out early access, until the day we actually get early access. They really should be giving prior notice, rather than an email saying you can play right now.

There's a reason - they're calling it on the spot, I reckon. They're not letting you know when you get an email because they don't know yet.

How I suspect it works is they've got a long list, and every hour or so during early access, they'll take a look at the server state, and if it's going strong and spacious, they'll toss another few hundred people in. This stops them telling you in advance, in case it ends up being earlier or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Seriously? That's brilliant, I'll call them later and go "But Liffey Valley aren't being crap!" Thanks.

Yup! They said they got word from head office about it, I'd say some of the other stores just aren't paying attention ;) They said stock should be coming in within the next few days too.

The one in Blanch were clueless when I rang though. To the extent where she thought they weren't selling the game until the 23rd. Yeah, that changed a good while back...

Yeah, game in Dundrum were a bit slow on that. Just called them up and told them about Liffey valley, guy's response was "Guess I must be misinformed. Call me in 10 minutes"

Shouldbe getting my CE sooner than I thought \o/

I pre ordered off Origin was probably a bad idea, I hate dealing with EA, was on the phone for an hour trying to ask them a question :(

There's a reason - they're calling it on the spot, I reckon. They're not letting you know when you get an email because they don't know yet.

How I suspect it works is they've got a long list, and every hour or so during early access, they'll take a look at the server state, and if it's going strong and spacious, they'll toss another few hundred people in. This stops them telling you in advance, in case it ends up being earlier or later.

In fairness that is a good idea if you want a very easy roll out of the game and no massive server queues , you will get alot of people whining about it but so what id rather that the 3 hours server queues i am in no rush to get to lvl 50

2005849-fe2dc_ORIG-my_body_is_ready_super.jpg

Yes yes!

Yeah, I feel sorry for the people who preordered late (a mate of mine only got his after the beta weekend), it'll be a long week of watching other people have fun and wearing out your F5 button.

Yeah, I feel sorry for the people who preordered late (a mate of mine only got his after the beta weekend), it'll be a long week of watching other people have fun and wearing out your F5 button.

Aye very true , i put my code in as soon as i got it and ordered the day they released the pre orders but i doubt ill get in on the 13th

Yeah, game in Dundrum were a bit slow on that. Just called them up and told them about Liffey valley, guy's response was "Guess I must be misinformed. Call me in 10 minutes"

Shouldbe getting my CE sooner than I thought \o/

Game in Dundrum are now selling on the 15th, with a warning that the servers won;t be up till the 20th.

If you have your preorder in a Game other than Liffey Valley or Dundrum - call them, ask them, if they don't say the 15th politely inform them that you've just got off the phone with one of the 2 above, and ask if they'd mind contacting head office to see what the story is.

Better that than showing up on the 15th and problems arising.
    jeawan wrote: »
    Aye very true , i put my code in as soon as i got it and ordered the day they released the pre orders but i doubt ill get in on the 13th

I'd be very surprised if you didn't - I'm expecting Day 1 to all get in at noon, and the rest of July at least over the course of the first day.

I think the difference in JK/SW early tanking (I admit I only got to 19) vs Trooper/BH early tanking is that even if don't have a lot of definitively tanky skills available to them the Trooper/BH AoEs make it a lot easier for them to dish out a consistent level of damage in order to keep multiple mobs aggro'd as opposed to the SW/JW which feels very single-target focused. I enjoyed both definitely, it was just annoying tab-spamming and watching one mob peel off the group and having to leap, taunt and pull him back into my 1 (weak) AoE range with the others.

I actually quite enjoyed the PvP even if my only experience was Huttball. It was frantic and to be honest very confusing given both sides share the same chat if you're playing a fellow faction team. One of our guys brought the ball all the way back to our half simply because he was getting yelled at in General Chat to do it.

Just going to call up GAME in Limerick and see if they've heard about the change.

• Advertisement

I'm one of those people :(

Still hoping to get in before the weekend. Regardless of when you order it, you should still get at least 2 days early access...otherwise, it's a bit of a rip off charging you.

Advertisement