Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

When does the BT Christmas shop open?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    When does the BT Christmas shop open?

About the third Thursday in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Currently listening to Christmas tunes on the Christmas fm digital station :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

leahyl wrote: »
    Currently listening to Christmas tunes on the Christmas fm digital station :D

Have the app on the phone, so love that literally with one click i can Christmas tunes 😄 even better you can go out if the app and it keeps playing so have it on in the background while looking at other things

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As big a fan I am of Christmas I must admit I rarely get any real urge to isten to crimbo tunes in the middle of the year. It just feels weird to me. Come November when the adverts start though I'll start to get into the mood, though I rarely go full on until December.

I must admit though earlier in the year I did get a buzz listening to a christmas playlist when out having to drive the wifes car around for an hour or so in order to recharge the cars battery... when it came on I initially went to change it but decided to leave it... though it was a complete one off, reckon it'll be the most wonderful time of the year & the launch of Christmas FM going live before the tunes come back on for me.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

I’d be the same in the main. I think it’s more just knowing it’s there and sometimes if I’m feeling a bit down I like to just listen to a couple of songs to take my mind off things.

TRS30 wrote: »
    I’d be the same in the main. I think it’s more just knowing it’s there and sometimes if I’m feeling a bit down I like to just listen to a couple of songs to take my mind off things.

I use the forum here for my 'cheer up' requirements. Love reading through the classic threads such as CHristmas Eve traditions & the old adverts threads, they can really lift the spirits (mine anyway) when I'm under the weather or feeling stressed out with work or suchlike. Had a really hard time of it a few years ago & came in here regularly & genuinely think some of the threads in here saved me, they made me smile & shone some light at a time I felt I was stuck in a very dark place.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

DvB wrote: »
    I use the forum here for my 'cheer up' requirements. Love reading through the classic threads such as CHristmas Eve traditions & the old adverts threads, they can really lift the spirits (mine anyway) when I'm under the weather or feeling stressed out with work or suchlike. Had a really hard time of it a few years ago & came in here regularly & genuinely think some of the threads in here saved me, they made me smile & shone some light at a time I felt I was stuck in a very dark place.

Thoroughly agree with you DVB. I have often visited the site when feeling under the weather and Just reading a few posts on this forum always cheers me up and give us something to look forward to. Thanks everyone for making this such a wonderful Thread.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm glad we could help in some small way, DvB. I hope you're in a better place now. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is exactly what this place should be. Delighted it helped you through a dark time.

Let the glow of the Christmas lights always guide the way.

Hope you’re feeling better and always know we’re always here for chats and fun.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    This is exactly what this place should be. Delighted it helped you through a dark time.

Let the glow of the Christmas lights always guide the way.

Hope you’re feeling better and always know we’re always here for chats and fun.

Ever since I first came across this forum (was just viewing and not posting) it always came across as like a big extended family. Joining in has just reaffirmed that belief.

Posy wrote: »
    I'm glad we could help in some small way, DvB. I hope you're in a better place now. :)

Ah didnt mean to sound dramatic or anything like that, it was just a time of huge work related stress ( a proper sh*tstorm of a project) coupled with dealing with one of my parents having serious health issues at the time. Throw a pair of young twins into the mix & it was a proper cocktail of having no 'down time' so to speak.

I'm prone to bouts of feeling down in the dumps and looking back I was just trying to do too much and wasn't looking after myself at all, it was nothing more serious than that in reality.

The threads in here were a real good way to spend a half hour or so over lunch or suchlike and really gave me something to look forward to at the time which was a fantastic outlet, I'll never forget that, and the people in here who unknown to them at the time where really reminding me of whats important in life.
    Theres alot to be said for the type of people that frequent this christmas forum, everyone is friendly, welcoming, thoughtful & generally quite positive in outlook... all fantastic traits, and I'm delighted to be a part of this great little group.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Totally agree with this place being so welcoming and helping you through a bad patch. I've had a particular family issue that came out of nowhere in the past year and has knocked myself and my parents for six but this forum is so pleasant to come into and brings me back to the days when I really loved Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I still like Christmas but things have changed a bit now that I don't really look forward to it as much as I used to but I still love coming in here and reading all the threads! Ye are such a nice bunch :)

I just saw on ad on TV and it said 'This Autumn' like it was only a few weeks away and I realised it is!

Can't believe it's only a week and a half away! I like autumn a lot. It's a very anticipatory month. :)

We're into the 150's!

Posy wrote: »
    Can't believe it's only a week and a half away! I like autumn a lot. It's a very anticipatory month. :)

I always think of summer as June, July & August, autumn always starts for me with kids going back to school, new series starting on Tv etc.

Aug, Sept, Oct = autumn

At least that's what we were taught, and it'll do me, autumn here we come!!

Aug, Sept, Oct = autumn

At least that's what we were taught, and it'll do me, autumn here we come!!

Argos catalogue also uses the same system!
    In primary school I was 100% taught that system as well.
    My Birthday is in November the start of Winter.

Argos catalogue also uses the same system!
    In primary school I was 100% taught that system as well.
    My Birthday is in November the start of Winter.

Yeah, always loved the fact the old seasons as they were taught were offset from 4 perfect quarters within a calendar year by that one month.

Winter = Nov, Dec, Jan
    Spring = Feb, Mar, Apr
    Summer = May, June, July
    Autumn = Aug, Sept, Oct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I am off-kilter with you all, then !

for me:

Spring = Mar, Apr, May,
    Summer = June, Jul, Aug,
    Autumn = Sept, Oct, Nov,
    Winter = Dec, Jan, Feb,

I can get August being summer, but by no stretch of the imagination is February the winter! :D

otnomart wrote: »
    I am off-kilter with you all, then !

for me:

Spring = Mar, Apr, May,
    Summer = June, Jul, Aug,
    Autumn = Sept, Oct, Nov,
    Winter = Dec, Jan, Feb,

Same, I could never see autumn starting when still on ‘summer’ holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi All,
    Best wishes to CheerLouth.....saw on another thread that the Big Day is this weekend.
    Hope ye have a super day....xxx

EAEJUmxW4AA9MdW?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Best of luck to Cheerlouth!!!

I got back from two weeks much needed holiday in Tuscany/Siena/Florence/Rome. Flew back the night before being back in work was not a good shout. Landed in work to see that a client in a not so nice country needed a hug so flew back out for the week but the forum cheers me up no end as per DvB's post.

I have booked a Christmas concert today for the day before I fly home to Ireland. I also just purchased (following seeing Ciara007's post) 'The Irish Countrywomen's Association Book of Christmas' for my OH, kind of as a joke as she says shes from a city but has cows over her back wall. I also grabbed a Jamie Oliver Christmas recipe book.

I say each year that I will hold off the tunes until much closer to Christmas. I usually start a month before I fly home, this year thats the 13/14th December so mid November would be time to turn on the tunes. The thing is by Christmas each year I am sick of the tunes so I promise to myself not to make the same mistake next year, never works but I will try again.

Is there any set things/presents for a babies first Christmas?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

100 days to Halloween is amazing, that makes it seem alot closer, as everyone knows here that Christmas Season really starts November 1st.

Now that work is calming down a bit and the summer holiday is a very distant memory I should be back more in the fold over the next few days/weeks :)

The good news is the community spirit here is strong than ever, We've surpassed last years posts counts for April to June inclusive and are already ahead of last years July's number of posts with a week still to go!

Loughc wrote: »
    The good news is the community spirit here is strong than ever, We've surpassed last years posts counts for April to June inclusive and are already ahead of last years July's number of posts with a week still to go!

Funnily enough was only thinking about that yesterday, was going to drop you a post to see how we're doing in terms of posts this year. The fact we're up on posts over the last three months is a good omen given the whopper that 2018 was (best ever IIRC?)

Love the stats posts!:D

Funnily enough was only thinking about that yesterday, was going to drop you a post to see how we're doing in terms of posts this year. The fact we're up on posts over the last three months is a good omen given the whopper that 2018 was (best ever IIRC?)

Love the stats posts!:D

I love stats posts myself haha. We are up to yesterday, 223 posts ahead of where we were this time last year, and yes 2018 was our best year by some margin, we are on course to pass out 2010 & 2011 total annual posts soon.

• Advertisement

It feels to me like we have more regular posters now too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement