Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

I got a PS3 at the weekend and have a few questions. Anyone who can help it will be much appreciated.

I have version 2.52 of the software accoridng to the system. There is a new update (2.76 it says) which I need to download. So when i tried to download it shows up and error (80710723) and stops.

Anyone know why this might be? I have it connected to the internet and can browse away.

Also, to setup my PSN account it says I need the latest update first, which I cant get. By doing the port forwarding on Page 1 of this thread is it likely to clear up the issue do you think?

And lastly (for now!) I have read about setting up a US PSN account to get access to different features in the store. Can I set up a Irish account and then add a second US account or can you only have account?

Like I said, if anyone has any help for me I'd be very grateful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mr Soft wrote: »
    I got a PS3 at the weekend and have a few questions. Anyone who can help it will be much appreciated.

I have version 2.52 of the software accoridng to the system. There is a new update (2.76 it says) which I need to download. So when i tried to download it shows up and error (80710723) and stops.

Anyone know why this might be? I have it connected to the internet and can browse away.

Also, to setup my PSN account it says I need the latest update first, which I cant get. By doing the port forwarding on Page 1 of this thread is it likely to clear up the issue do you think?

And lastly (for now!) I have read about setting up a US PSN account to get access to different features in the store. Can I set up a Irish account and then add a second US account or can you only have account?

Like I said, if anyone has any help for me I'd be very grateful.

You can download updates on your PC/Mac to USB stick and update that way.
    Yes, you can have more than one account on the PS3 - Ihave an irish one, a US and a Japanese one.

Cheers WhiteRebel

I had a look at the playstation website and the update part. The only update available for download is 1.2, from June 2008. I see the information about the 2.76 update in May 2009 but it doesnt show where I can download it.

Am I missing a link to where I can download it?

Ah I see where I was getting confused. I was looking at the Software licensing Agreement (1.2) part and thinking that the software update was for 1.2. Was a bit confused.

Cheers for your help lads, will have a good at it this evening and see if i can get it sorted.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Got sorted with the update last night and got setup on PSN

Thanks for the help chaps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Say if I was to buy a USA region game for the PS3, and wanted to get DLC for it, would I have to get it off the USA network store, or will the irish one do?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Say if I was to buy a USA region game for the PS3, and wanted to get DLC for it, would I have to get it off the USA network store, or will the irish one do?

No you have to get it from the USA Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

I just bought a PS3 and am having a problem with being disconnected from the PSN. I have googled and found many solutions all of which I have done (Apart from plugging in a cable directly to my router). I have NAT 2 and all ports forwarded etc etc etc. My broadband ISP is Irish Broadband Breeze 2MB. Do any of yee know if there is a problem generally with this type of broadband...??? Or is it the fact that I only have a 45% signal on my wireless...??

Getting annoying as I was just getting into Battlefield 1943 when I got kicked a few times.... :mad::mad:

Rats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Umm i dont think mobile broadbands are wireless so you cant connect wirelessly through that. Dun know if its possible to connect the ps3 using mobile broadband though

Folks,
    Is it possible to connect the PS3 to the net using mobile broadband? Friend just bought the slim one and he's wondering if he can connect?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Folks,
    Is it possible to connect the PS3 to the net using mobile broadband? Friend just bought the slim one and he's wondering if he can connect?

He would need to connect the mobile broadband to a computer/laptop and then use internet sharing to share it back to the PS3 over wired or wireless. There are some WiFi routers that have built in 3G also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

3G modems will generally have two much latency for online play, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Hey Guys, I am just wondering about one thing on the PS3. I just bought one yesterday, I own an xbox as well. With the xbox, when a new Demo came out, it wasnt available to silver members until a week after its release date. Is there anything like this on the PS Store? or is it available for everyone at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

thorbarry wrote: »
    anybody?

It's all available for everyone at the same time. Although the US and Jap stores get just about everything before us and also get demos of certain games that we can only download as the full game.

So I'd say just set up a US account as well cos you can play all content you download on any user account. That way when you think a game might be worth buying but you're not quite sure, you can search the US store just in case they have a demo.

All you have to do is look up a US address and fill it out the same way you did for you're Irish one. Just pick a hotel or something or do what a few people did and make up an address in Beverly Hills, that way your postcode can be 90210.

On a separate note I was wondering whether this is a good deal:

I'm trading in my refurbished 60GB PS3 cos of fan loudness issues for a slim at a cost of €99. Is it worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

Just bought a 2nd hand 60g PS3 which has BC.
    This is probably a dump question but can I loss BC by upgradeing the firmware?
    eg the way upgrading the psp lost the ability to use homebrew, until custom firmware was used.

• Right, git a new ps3 slim this morning as my older refurb model has the yellow light of death. I swapped the hard drive out of the slim ad put in my 320gb hd that I used with the old one. The new ps3 wont recognise it and will only work with it's original hard drive. This is absolutely wrecking my head as I've done this kind of swap before without any problems. Any suggestions?
    EDIT: Problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

NAT Issues

If you go into the PS3 Network Settings and perform a connection test, it will tell you what NAT level you are currently on. The three levels are NAT1, NAT2 & NAT3:
    • NAT1 - Direct connection to the internet - no NAT required
    • NAT2 - Connected via router, but all necessary ports NAT-ed (aka port forwarded)
    • NAT3 - connected via router, some ports not NAT-ed yet.
    When you first connect your PS3 to the internet through a normal DSL router, you will usually be on NAT3 - you probably want to get this up to NAT2 or NAT1 to ensure you can sucessfully do all the online gaming stuff you want to do (chat, host games, join games...)

There are two main ways of doing this - you only need to do one or the other.

Method 1 - Port-Forwarding to get NAT2

In this method, you are trying to open certain ports in your router to allow other users to connect to them - this is necessary for the complete operation of PSN functionality. The idea is that you set up rules on your router to forward traffic on certain ports to your PS3, which lives on your internal network. When all the ports are done, you will be at NAT2.

To get specific instructions for your router, go to portforward.com - pick your router (look on the router for a sticker with a model number if you don't know it), and then select "Playstation Network" as the application to configure. Follow these instructions carefully.

You may also need to open these ports on your routers firewall - refer to to user manual of your router for further info, or ask on the Comms forum. Also, some games use special ports - you can get instructions for them on portforward.com as well.

Method 2 - Using PPPoE to get NAT1

PPPoE is the protocol your router uses to connect to your ISP, but your PS3 is able to do it as well - it's explained clearly on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JugGe7CCuNU

As Mick mentioned, you'll need your internet login details - if you don't have them, ring your ISP and ask fior them (or google it). Also, bear in mind this will only work for ISPs that use PPPoE (regular DSL providers) - I'm not sure if it will work for cable modems, radio internet, satellite internet etc... (people like Irish Broadband, UPC) - maybe someone else can confirm/deny this.

The net effect of following the video is that your PS3 gets a public IP address on the internet (like your router has) and is outside your firewall (so all the necessary ports are open by default) - do the connection test, and you'll be at NAT1

So which one do I do??

It doesn't matter, both will work, and conversly, people have had trouble getting either method to work. In general, method 2 is simpler and involves no router knowledge, so a lot of people go for it. On the other hand, method 1 exposes less of your PS3 to the internet (just the ports you open), so its argueably a better option from a security point of view. Also, if you use media servers to stream to the PS3, method 2 will also probably stop this working - it can be made work, but thats another story....

If you are still in doubt, or you have a funny network setup, try asking on the Net & Comms forum for advice. Alternativly, search this forum for old threads on NAT issues - there are loads of them, so its possible someone had the exact same problem as you and found a solution already...
    Is there anyway to improve NAT type when using 3g mobile dongle (with 3 network). It is connected to my laptop(XP) which is left running and connected to the playstation using an ethernet cable. I set it up as directed Here, reply 4
    Hey there.

I dunno if you've got it to work yet. I had the same problem, and have the same usb modem. I managed to get mine to work without a router, and just an ethernet cable. It's quite simple, and here's how:

1- If you're on XP, navigate to your "Connect To" panel where you can see your usb modem connection, e.g "Vodafone Mobile Connect". And if you're on vista, go to network and Sharing.

2- If on XP, right-click on your internet connection and select properties. On properties, click on 'Advanced' and tick the box that says 'Allow other users to Connect through this computers internet connection'

3- You will get a little message that comes up that says that you must redial your internet connection.

4- No head over to your PS3. Make sure you've got the ethernet plugged in properly, and scroll to the 'Network settings' tab, under 'Settings'. Select "Internet Connection Settings", and click X. From here it will ask for either an easy or Custom connection. Select the easy setting, and from there it should detect your IP Address, and Clarify an internet connection from your pc to your ps3. Save these settings, and you are ready to go.

Hope this helped. If not, leave your query, and I will be glad to help more.

Goodluck

This allows me to play online but I get NAT3 and with a mobile dongle i can't follow ravydavygravy's steps to improve it. Is there any way to improve it as it stops me from playing fifa09/fifa10 online and I can't host COD matches

Thanks in advance,
    Jackobyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Rew wrote: »
    He would need to connect the mobile broadband to a computer/laptop and then use internet sharing to share it back to the PS3 over wired or wireless. There are some WiFi routers that have built in 3G also.

Hi Rew, I tried this today. Set up the 3 connection on the laptop and connected to the internet. I shared out the internet connection but the PS3 slim doesnt pick it up.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Hi guys thought you might be able to help, got a ps3 slim yesterday andwent to set it up and the controller wont pair with the ps3 in fact there is no sign of life coming from the ps3 bluetooth led and the 4 contoller led's just keeping flashing and flashing, the hard drive led flashes yellow. The ps3 therefore doesn't allow me to begin initial set up.

I could return but am I missing something very easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Hi guys thought you might be able to help, got a ps3 slim yesterday andwent to set it up and the controller wont pair with the ps3 in fact there is no sign of life coming from the ps3 bluetooth led and the 4 contoller led's just keeping flashing and flashing, the hard drive led flashes yellow. The ps3 therefore doesn't allow me to begin initial set up.

I could return but am I missing something very easy?

Did you connect the USB from the PS3 to the joypad? You have to do that to initially pair the joypad with the PS3

Did you connect the USB from the PS3 to the joypad? You have to do that to initially pair the joypad with the PS3

Yeah still not working

Yeah still not working

hmmmm heres a few things you can try as well:

1-Press the tiny reset button on the back of the controller

2-Plug in the USB Connection wire

3-Restart Console

4-When loaded, Press the PS Button

5-Disconnect the USB wire

6-Reset the PS3, to do this you hold the power button (while the PS3 is in stand by) until you hear three beeps, the PS3 will turn on and then go off, do this again until you hear two beeps. This will bring up the reset menu, here you can do everything from changing the smallest settings to formatting the PS3.

Hope this works for you

hmmmm heres a few things you can try as well:

1-Press the tiny reset button on the back of the controller

2-Plug in the USB Connection wire

3-Restart Console

4-When loaded, Press the PS Button

5-Disconnect the USB wire

6-Reset the PS3, to do this you hold the power button (while the PS3 is in stand by) until you hear three beeps, the PS3 will turn on and then go off, do this again until you hear two beeps. This will bring up the reset menu, here you can do everything from changing the smallest settings to formatting the PS3.

Hope this works for you

Cheers thanks for help, I ended up just bringing it back to HMV who gave me a replacement.

Ha ha ok no bother, the last one is a good tip to know any way especially if you're using a HDMI cable on a LCD tv

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi, First off my 60gb PS3 has just died., YLOD :mad: Anyway I was wondering is there anyway I can keep my old PSN username and details, I have forgotten my password and had a set to sign in auto and cant think off it at all. I am guessing I could e-mail Sony or is there another way?

Secondly, Can I keep all my hard drive data if I get a new PS3 and "sync" the data from my old hard drive e.g photos,music,videos,game save data? Any help is appreciated, totally lost here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

gavredking wrote: »
    Hi, First off my 60gb PS3 has just died., YLOD :mad: Anyway I was wondering is there anyway I can keep my old PSN username and details, I have forgotten my password and had a set to sign in auto and cant think off it at all. I am guessing I could e-mail Sony or is there another way?

Secondly, Can I keep all my hard drive data if I get a new PS3 and "sync" the data from my old hard drive e.g photos,music,videos,game save data? Any help is appreciated, totally lost here.

Yellow light of death means a system hardware failure. This will for whatever reason corrupt your hard drive so, like me, you will lose everything you had on it.

Im not quite sure how you go about the password question

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

I have a 60GB PS3 and the hard drive has failed, message saying its corrupt. Everytime I turn it on it tells me this and asks me to format the drive to which I say yes and after that it restarts etc and then comes up with the message again. Is there any hope for the drive or does it mean a new drive. Also is there any way you can connect 2 PS3's together to transfer data from 1 drive to another ? Many thanks for taking the time to answer these. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

comfort wrote: »
    I have a 60GB PS3 and the hard drive has failed, message saying its corrupt. Everytime I turn it on it tells me this and asks me to format the drive to which I say yes and after that it restarts etc and then comes up with the message again. Is there any hope for the drive or does it mean a new drive. Also is there any way you can connect 2 PS3's together to transfer data from 1 drive to another ? Many thanks for taking the time to answer these. :)
    There might have been some hope until you formated the drive, now you've lost all your data, everything...:(

Advertisement