Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Re-reading The Age of Reason by Jean-Paul Sartre. Haven't read anything in weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

It's taking AGES! It's a long book, but usually I could read it in 2/3 straight days. I am going on 5 weeks now because I find it hard to settle into!!

Good book, but hard going I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

Heavy Weather by P.G. Wodehouse

Very funny, laid back and conversational as only Wodehouse can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Heavy Weather by P.G. Wodehouse

Any recommendations for someone beginning to read Wodehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

Any recommendations for someone beginning to read Wodehouse?

Carry on, Jeeves is a good collection of stories about his most famous characters. I haven't read much Wodehouse but friends tell me that The Code of the Woosters is also good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'm currently reading The Snowball:Warren Buffett and The Business of Life by Alice Schroeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Angela's Ashes, LOVED IT. Some good laugh out loud moments, and a great sense of the author's life in Limerick when it was an even worse sh!thole. :o

Now, The Time Machine-HG Wells. Loving it so far, very engaging

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Restoration by Rose Tremain. I like the bawdy main character and the period she's writing about is really interesting, but the protagonist isn't as lovely as the author seems to think he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

It's taking AGES! It's a long book, but usually I could read it in 2/3 straight days. I am going on 5 weeks now because I find it hard to settle into!!

Good book, but hard going I think!

That book confused the hell out of me, really hard to follow. That said, I enjoyed some of Gaiman's other books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Reading War & Peace - Leo Tolstoy.. still.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭SecondTime

Recently finished "The Other Hand" by Chris Cleave for a book club - Dreadful, would never have bothered finishing it except for my golden rule Don't come to Book Club if you don't finish the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

just starting to read "Sacred Causes" by Michael Burleigh

Anyone ever read it? Taughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rickman

yep..i enjoyed it. its a good laugh. its written like a diary. "here comes robert kingdom" - the robert in the title is a stay ay home dad and he's unemployed and looking after his son. he does some band work and writes songs but he starts a diary just to keep himself fromm getting board. he ust starts writing things down that happen to him and it gets hilarious as it goes along. i bought it from his web page - he's donating the money to the childrens hospital charity. www.location27books.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

"Later, in England, I saw rows of little green plastic trees hardly an inch high surrounding cuts of meat and offal displayed in the shop windows of a 'Family Butchers'. The obvious fact was that these evergreen plastic ornaments must be mass-produced somewhere for the sole purpose of alleviating our sense of guilt about the bloodshed seemed to me, in its very absurdity, to show how strongly we desire absolution and how cheaply we have always bought it."

The Alps In The Sea - W. G. Sebald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Swarles Barkley

I'm reading American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld. It is a fictionalised novel based somewhat loosely on Laura Bush.

Quite enjoying it so far at about the halfway mark. Sittenfeld has an accessible and engaging style of writing that makes it easy to breeze through the pages.

Finished The Time Machine. Really liked it. Loved the world that was created in it.

Now...I'm actually flipping through the Bible, curiosity got the best of me. :o

Don't know how far I will get though to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Wolf hall - Hillary Mantel

Interesting story, but I know all about it from reading history and watching the Tudors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I read Marabou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh last week, brilliant book it has to be said but not for the faint hearted, it's extremely gritty and gets very disturbing towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Currently reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman. Only bought it yesterday. Very good so far but the odd random part here and there. Story is good thus far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

That_Guy wrote: »
    Currently reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman. Only bought it yesterday. Very good so far but the odd random part here and there. Story is good thus far though.
    Hehe, me too. Liking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hehe, me too. Liking it.

I'm liking it too. Not bad thus far. Actually managed to put it down for an hour to eat and post on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Twenty Thousand Streets Under The Sky by Patrick Hamilton.

Love it, the dialogue, the detail on London in another era the spot-on observations of small details, the tenderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I started Rob Roy by Walter Scott last week, its tough, but I will get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

The Time travellers wife - didn't think I would enjoy it, but its surprised me. Lot of flitting around to begin with, but you get the hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Finished reading Wild Swans last week, a very interesting insight in to the hardships experienced by three generations of family in China. A real eye opener and a great histroy lesson.

Currently reading The Poet by Michael Connelly, about two-thirds of the way through it. Pretty boring tbh, can't wait to just finish it and move on to something else!

Just started Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy. So far so good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭knockane_ali09

i just finished the lovely bones by alice seabold and i thought it was brillant i will go to see the film whe its out but it will probably be a disapointment books turned into films usually end in disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 45 martoman

Books I've read over the past couple of months:

All Quiet on the Western Front -- Erich Maria Remarque
    The Reader -- Bernhard Schlink
    Homecoming -- Bernhard Schlink
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
    If This Is a Man -- Primo Levi
    The Truce -- Primo Levi
    The Notebook -- Agota Kristof
    The Proof -- Agota Kristof
    The Third Lie -- Agota Kristof
    Slaughterhouse-Five -- Kurt Vonnegut
    The Passport -- Herta Müller
    The Man in the High Castle -- Philip K. Dick
    Regeneration -- Pat Barker
    Mother Courage and Her Children -- Bertolt Brecht (play)
    Rhinoceros -- Eugène Ionesco (play)
    The Lesson -- Eugène Ionesco (play)
    The Chairs -- Eugène Ionesco (play)

What's planned next:

The Plot Against America -- Philip Roth
    Mother Night -- Kurt Vonnegut
    Homage to Catalonia -- George Orwell
    Heart of Darkness -- Joseph Conrad
    Crash -- J. G. Ballard
    My Childhood -- Maxim Gorky
    First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers -- Loung Ung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 .Nikorawr.

The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Under The Dome, Stephen King

Advertisement