Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Hen Party

• 08-07-2019 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Anyone have any firsthand experience of a hen in Lisbon? I'm bridesmaid for my cousin and we are planning on doing the hen in Lisbon next April. I'm not having problems finding ideas or accommodation, but there's too much choice! I would love if anyone who has been on a hen or organised a hen in Lisbon could help me narrow down some ideas.
    We have a small group of 12(ish) but a wide range of ages, most of us are in our 30s and there will be 4 older ladies coming who are in early 60s. They will probably be well able to keep up, in fact more able than me in all likelyhood! I think an apartment would be the best craic, but maybe 2 so the older group can stay separately to us? That way we have a base for pre-drinks etc instead of trying to cram into a small hotel room together :) Anyway any recommendations would be fab thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

I had my stag there in May and had a smiliar enough number and age spread. We stayed in City Stay Cais Sodre apartments and split like you're intending. Literally couldn't get closer to the action. Pink street (the party street) backs on to it so you won't have far to go for a bit of lively area

Accom was cheap enough but one thing to note is be prepared for everyone and their mother to be offering Coke. It was borderline harassment there were so many trying to sell - each to their own with what people decide to do but I would've liked to have had 5mins without a "Cocaina" "Sniff, sniff" in my face!

Can't tell you much more as we basically stayed in that area for the entire weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7 em81

phoenix833 wrote: »
    I had my stag there in May and had a smiliar enough number and age spread. We stayed in City Stay Cais Sodre apartments and split like you're intending. Literally couldn't get closer to the action. Pink street (the party street) backs on to it so you won't have far to go for a bit of lively area

Accom was cheap enough but one thing to note is be prepared for everyone and their mother to be offering Coke. It was borderline harassment there were so many trying to sell - each to their own with what people decide to do but I would've liked to have had 5mins without a "Cocaina" "Sniff, sniff" in my face!

Can't tell you much more as we basically stayed in that area for the entire weekend

Thanks so much! We have provisionally booked apartments quite close to those actually so that's good to hear.
    Thanks for the heads up about the coke... each to their own I suppose but yeah not something we'll be needing. (Could help me stay awake later than 10pm though haha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rachieqtpie

Hi,

I am in the process of planning mt best friends hen in Lisbon, we are going in 6 weeks. We booked the VIP aparthotel which is very central and has a rooftop pool. We are using David from party in portugal for activities. Were are doing sangria bike ride, boat trip and dinner with him. I can update you after the hen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 em81

Hi,

I am in the process of planning mt best friends hen in Lisbon, we are going in 6 weeks. We booked the VIP aparthotel which is very central and has a rooftop pool. We are using David from party in portugal for activities. Were are doing sangria bike ride, boat trip and dinner with him. I can update you after the hen.

Ah brilliant thanks so much that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

One thing to note is the place is extremely hilly so that might be a consideration. It's a lovely city and good value but the legs will be wore off you by the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Them lads will sell you washing powder so no point even if you are that way inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

2ndcoming wrote: »
    One thing to note is the place is extremely hilly so that might be a consideration. It's a lovely city and good value but the legs will be wore off you by the end.

+1 Very slippery stones too on many pavements.

It’s a lovely city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

Hi,

Hi there, how did you get on? I am looking into booking my friend’s hen in Lisbon next February.

Many thanks!

Hi,

Hi there, just wondering how you got on? We have booked the same apartments as Phoenix (Cais) although we’ll be split on different floors. I’m also talking to David from Party in Portugal but am so unsure on what to book for 12 girls in February!
    Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rachieqtpie

hI,

Please do not use David. We paid him nearly €3000 for activities for 18 of us and he only came through on one of them. We booked the beer bike tour, beer crawl, boat trip, butler to room and dinner on the Sunday. He only provided the beer bike, turned off his phone and did not contact us until 2 weeks after. We had to file police report and are chasing him for our money.
    We used bike bar tours for beer bike and was great. we booked a seperate boat through Lisbon sailing lovers and they could not have done anymore for us.

Sorry for the long reply but want to ensure no one has a weekend of stress and upset like we did. The bride had a great time though as we kept this from her and Lisbon is a brillliant city.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're going around the Barrio Alto area, you can get a huge amount of the climb from the flatter bit of the city done via the escalators in Baixa-Chiado metro station that don't need a ticket to use. That's probably the most obscure but useful thing I found out visiting there!

Time Out market is touristy as hell but still a very easy place to go if stuck for ideas for food, especially if you have varying tastes in a big group. And you're going to be mobbed with the drug dealers everywhere if you look like tourists, which a hen group will.

L1011 wrote: »
    If you're going around the Barrio Alto area, you can get a huge amount of the climb from the flatter bit of the city done via the escalators in Baixa-Chiado metro station that don't need a ticket to use. That's probably the most obscure but useful thing I found out visiting there!

Time Out market is touristy as hell but still a very easy place to go if stuck for ideas for food, especially if you have varying tastes in a big group. And you're going to be mobbed with the drug dealers everywhere if you look like tourists, which a hen group will.

I really hated the Timeout Market. I found it manic and stressful. The seating system was really awful (seats “saved” everywhere. Walking around with your food looking for a place to sit for fifteen minutes - fun!) and I think bringing a group there sounds difficult to plan. The food was overpriced too. It seemed to be a place that was 100% created for tourists when there’s better restaurants nearby that won’t be so crowded and better value. I actively tell people to avoid it if they are going to Lisbon for the first time.

I really hated the Timeout Market. I found it manic and stressful. The seating system was really awful (seats “saved” everywhere. Walking around with your food looking for a place to sit for fifteen minutes - fun!) and I think bringing a group there sounds difficult to plan. The food was overpriced too. It seemed to be a place that was 100% created for tourists when there’s better restaurants nearby that won’t be so crowded and better value. I actively tell people to avoid it if they are going to Lisbon for the first time.

Hi all,

We are actually staying near the Time Out Market but I want to avoid it for food- does anyone have any recommendations for dinner in the area that isn’t too expensive? We are a group of 10, we will be arriving on the Friday and just want something for tapas and drinks that’s casual. I’ve been looking online and a lot of the smaller places won’t cater for 10 at a time.
    Any help appreciated!

Robyn_14 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are actually staying near the Time Out Market but I want to avoid it for food- does anyone have any recommendations for dinner in the area that isn’t too expensive? We are a group of 10, we will be arriving on the Friday and just want something for tapas and drinks that’s casual. I’ve been looking online and a lot of the smaller places won’t cater for 10 at a time.
    Any help appreciated!

I can’t remember the names of any restaurants, I’m useless. :) But get on Tripadvisor (others might disagree but I find it good) and have a good thorough browse of the restaurants in that area.

Advertisement