Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin neighbouring towns - where would you buy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Neil Shaggy Sidecar

Mtk2018 wrote: »
    Hi, if you had a choice to buy in Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Louth any of Dublin neighbouring counties or towns , where would you buy and why?
    Budget= 310K
    Max acceptable commute time = 1.10 hours to Dublin city center
    Thank you for any feedback

I went with Mornigton, just the Dublin side or Drogheda. 3 story 4 bed semi for 275k, 60 mins on bus to IFSC, only 22 mins from airport by car. By the sea etc. Drogheda is 5 mins away and has everything I need. Swords and blanch 20/30 mins away respectfully if I need them (rarely do). I'm originaly from the area which helps but it's very much commuter central.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mtk2018

Thank you everyone keep the suggestions coming greatly appreciate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Kilcock in Kildare. Nice area not far at all.

Kilcock in Kildare. Nice area not far at all.

Yes not far indeed, always wondered what it's like looks like a good stock of housing is available .. family friendly and safe in general?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd be another person who thinks Maynooth is a good bet- however, your budget isn't going to go far there!
    Your transport options from Maynooth to the city centre are second to none- its the terminus for the commuter line to Dublin.
    It also has a remarkable array of services, facilities and amenities on your doorstep.
    Your budget would be sorely stretched to get something nice there though...........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I've lived in Naas and Maynooth. Both are fine but if I was looking longterm I would choose Naas. Swords is a good call. Vibrant town and affordable.

Leixlip not great. Too many houses and not enough amenities.

Bray would be fine but probably expensive.

Check out Clongriffin as well for affordability. The rebuilt Priory Hall looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I know you might end up moving job but think about where the terminus is. For example if you worked at IFSC then be on somewhere where the trains come into Connolly. The extra leg of a journey can sometimes be a killer both time and extra cost. You don't want to be getting a bus / train into town and then onto the luas.

Also if possible do a test run on the commute to see what it's like and consider whether you could hack it on a wet January morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

Naas is a lovely town still has that old town feel with good family stuff to do, plenty of restaurants and good pubs. Probably more shops needed in the town.
    The big down side of Naas is no train station, I have friends who moved to Naas but purchased a house nearer to sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭conor05

My colleague lives in Co Carlow. It takes the same length of time for him to drive home, as it takes me to get the luas home. Some nights he is home before me. So, if driving, Carlow/Kilkenny could be an option. Another guy I work with gets the train to and from Kilkenny town everyday.

Lived in Kilkenny for a few years, the greatest place to live so safe for kids no matter where you live, plenty to do and see at the weekends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I see people advocating carlow edenderry and now kilkenny.

Lovely places but commute is surely very tough.

OP all my suggestions are out there so let me second

Bettystown and mornington
    Kilcock

Rathoath Dunboyne Maynooth - these 3 a bit dear for you budget?

Navan wouldn't float my boat.

Someone did mention south end drogheda, some nice estates and the train.

Personally I'd be flat out researching bettystown. Seaside and good bus in through the tunnel.

• Advertisement

And if looking bettystown mornington watch the flood planes.

Mornington adjacent is nice too. One or two estates have a bad rep. Do your research. Had a project out there once. Only about 5 or 6 kids causing trouble. All pretty sound after a while

Cheers folks, any thoughts on ashbourne, dundalk, ratoath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Premium cost and horrific traffic in Maynooth put us off there although we viewed a fair few houses. I recommend Kilcock or Naas although be careful where in Naas you go related to public transport to the city as it’s a big town

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Monasterevin is a small quiet enough town that unlike other towns in Kildare is not choked with traffic. And you get a lot of bang for your buck.

My sister works near the school area of Newbridge and lives the other end of the town. It can take her 30 minutes some days to negotiate the traffic. Her husband works a lot in Dublin, and sometimes me with him. If we leave the same time in the morning, I always arrive well before him despite the extra 13/15 miles on the M7.

Rathoath and ashbourne had a lot of disjointed developments during the tiger.
    Schools etc were slow to follow

I would say rathoath has settled into itself now.
    Rathoath always had a nice feel to it and good village spirit.

Both are bus only, no train.
    Look at bus eireann and Matthews etc.

A cousin gets ashbourne bus daily. Happy with it and shes driving 20 mins to it in first place.

Dundalk is very far away. Was always a bit great and bleak but was up there a good bit in last 12 months and seemed much improved.

I'd look at BlackRock beside it of I was up that far. Lovely spot. Forever doing well in tidy. Towns

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

L1011 wrote: »
    Maynooth is phenomenally expensive for what you get.
    Pretty much due to Maynooth University being there.

Anything beyond Maynooth, and the public commute cost may rise dramatically!

I've lived in Leixlip most of my life, and although it's a nice place, the village is the only group of pubs. The houses are being built in an easterly direction, but no extra facilities are being built along the way, bar a pitch for the local GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dublin 15 you will get a property at a reasonable price and cut out the long commute

Dublin 15 you will get a property at a reasonable price and cut out the long commute

Thanks , Ive lived in London for a while , 70-80 mins commute doesn't bother me too much. The priority is to have a larger house, around green space in an area that is safe , family friendly . Happy to compromise with the commute then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Trim is lovely and has a decent bus service to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Ratoath has become quite built up over the last 15 years. But with that has come a decent thriving village with restaurants, coffee shops, hairdressers, pharmacies, a supermarket, couple of pubs etc etc.
    There are two decent national schools & a secondary school. Good community spirit & loads of sports clubs - tennis, GAA, soccer, rugby.
    5 mins drive from Ashbourne where there’s a cinema, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes etc. Blanchardstown shopping centre is 15-20 mins away & is one of the biggest shopping centres in Ireland.
    Public transport lets us down a bit. Commuting to town - Bus Eireann, drive to M3 Parkway for the train or Ashbourne Connect Bus (with some direct routes from Ratoath, using the port tunnel & takes about an hour). You should definitely have it on your list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Check out Donabate / Portrane. It's 25 minutes to Connolly by train (albeit often rather packed), 15 minutes to the airport by car. Lots of beaches and green space for the kids. Regular bus service into Swords for shopping/cinema etc.

310k might be a stretch for a 3 bed in Donabate but would get you an older 3 bed in Portrane.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Thanks , Ive lived in London for a while , 70-80 mins commute doesn't bother me too much. The priority is to have a larger house, around green space in an area that is safe , family friendly . Happy to compromise with the commute then

My Husband and I are considering to move to Portaloise. To be honest we both do not like Dublin ( we are not Irish ), do not go to pubs anymore. I love the area over there, the houses are from dreams, ready to move in, it is quiet. I am a bit afraid of commuting. it is 45- 53 min by train to Huston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I currently live in Leixlip. It’s very commutable by public transport within an hour, even at rush hour.

That's not a Dublin suburb....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

khaldrogo wrote: »
    That's not a Dublin suburb....

Part of the town (not a lot admittedly) is even in County Dublin, it's definitely in scope for the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Surprised Navan hasn't been mentioned yet. Bus into city center takes approx 60mins. Train to docklands from Dunboyne too. The M3 goes straight into the city too if driving. There are plenty of new houses being built out that way at the moment. I am biased though, we recently bought in Navan (way under your 310k budget for a 3bed semi-d) and couldn't be happier although neither of us commute into the city center.

Father lives in Naas, great spot with everything you would ever need. Sallins would be the nearest train station which I believe has capacity issues at rush hour.

We looked at leixlip & celbridge too, feels like Dublin but with a bit more a country feel. Prices a lot more affordable than Dublin addresses but compeitive for the 2nd hand house market. Plenty of amenities and services in both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

We bought in Wicklow town and love it. Its 15min drive to Bray, obviously in no traffic. Hubby works in Clonskeagh and gets home in 40mins or so. He doesn't do 9-5 though, traffic is obviously worse at those times. There is a new bus that goes from the town to Dublin and they're starting a park and ride for it, you will park at the beehive and get the bus straight to Dublin from there. Loads of new estates being built, you'd get a lovely house here for your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

2013Lara wrote: »
    We bought in Wicklow town and love it. Its 15min drive to Bray, obviously in no traffic. Hubby works in Clonskeagh and gets home in 40mins or so. He doesn't do 9-5 though, traffic is obviously worse at those times. There is a new bus that goes from the town to Dublin and they're starting a park and ride for it, you will park at the beehive and get the bus straight to Dublin from there. Loads of new estates being built, you'd get a lovely house here for your budget.
    15 minutes to Bray? You may need to recalculate that. Google has this trip taking 26 minutes at 1am, and 28.4km. To do it in 15 minutes you'd need to average 115km/h which is above the speed limit as there's only a tiny bit of the journey on the M11 where it's 120km/h.

15 minutes to Bray? You may need to recalculate that Google has this trip taking 26 minutes at 1am, and 28.4km. To do it in 15 minutes you'd need to average 115km/h which is above the speed limit.

Definitely doesn't take 26 mins. Should have been clearer but I mean to the bray exit not to Bray Town. I'd definitely do that in 15mins. Takes me 20mins from my door to get to Carrickmines. Depends what area of the town your in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

2013Lara wrote: »
    Definitely doesn't take 26 mins. Should have been clearer but I mean to the bray exit not to Bray Town. I'd definitely do that in 15mins. Takes me 20mins from my door to get to Carrickmines. Depends what area of the town your in also.
    I just put in Wicklow Town and Bray into google maps and let it choose the centre points. It took the town hall in bray as the starting point and the Super Valu on Wicklow Town's main street.

It's still 22 minutes if I pick the same starting location in Wicklow Town and ending location as Kilcroney Furniture. 7 minutes difference which is roughly 50% off.

• Advertisement

I just put in Wicklow Town and Bray into google maps and let it choose the centre points. It took the town hall in bray as the starting point and the Super Valu on Wicklow Town's main street.

It's still 22 minutes if I pick the same starting location in Wicklow Town and ending location as Kilcroney Furniture. 7 minutes difference which is roughly 50% off.

We'll agree to disagree. Standing in my kitchen now and put Carrickmines in and it says 22mins.

Advertisement