Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scoil Íde National School for boys

• 08-06-2012 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭ Santana Muscular Riffraff

Can anyone tell me where the boys go after first class? Do I have to enrol him separately into another boys school for 2nd class upwards or will he automatically get into St.Pat's or other boys schools? And if so, which schools? What boys schools is Scoil Íde a feeder school for? I know with Scoil Róis they get into St.Pats.
    Prob sending him to Scoil Íde for first 3 years as his sister will already be a student there. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

Depends, a fair few would go to St Pats, its pretty much the same as Scoil Rois in terms of being a feeder school.
    You do have to enrol again but when they see on the enrolment form that the child is coming from Scoil Íde there won't be a problem as they get lots of boys from Scoil Íde.
    When I was there the boys mainly went to either St Pats or Endas primary, sure there are other options though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭ Santana Muscular Riffraff

galway23 wrote: »
    Depends, a fair few would go to St Pats, its pretty much the same as Scoil Rois in terms of being a feeder school.
    You do have to enrol again but when they see on the enrolment form that the child is coming from Scoil Íde there won't be a problem as they get lots of boys from Scoil Íde.
    When I was there the boys mainly went to either St Pats or Endas primary, sure there are other options though.
    Thanks v much for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Scoil Einde on Dr Mannix Road is the usual next step, I believe.

Looks like a good school. Went to their open day several months ago. Nice location, huge grounds, large gym, good emphasis on indoor and outdoor activity, plenty of space inside so classes aren't crowded and there is scope for allocating particular functions to particular rooms, eg arts.

Teachers also seemed very pleasant. Good vibe all round I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

My son attends Scoil Ide. After first class, he will move to an all boys school. Most go to either St Pat's in the city centre or Scoil Einde in Salthill which is only a 100 meter walk from Scoil Ide.

TBH, Scoil Einde had a poor reputation up until there was a change of principal a few years ago. The current principal has been a teacher at the school since the late 1970's. It is my opinion that he has turned the school around and it is a well run and disciplined school now. My son will go there after he finished in Scoil Ide. I have spoken to other parents who have sent their sons to Scoil Einde and they are very happy.

My daughter also attends Scoil Ide.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Scoil Einde on Dr Mannix Road is the usual next step, I believe.

Looks like a good school. Went to their open day several months ago. Nice location, huge grounds, large gym, good emphasis on indoor and outdoor activity, plenty of space inside so classes aren't crowded and there is scope for allocating particular functions to particular rooms, eg arts.

Teachers also seemed very pleasant. Good vibe all round I thought.

Scoil Einde is then the feeder school for Coláiste Einde, right? Do any kids ever go on to St.Pat's from Scoil Íde nowadays? Are they guaranteed a place in St.Pat's if coming from Scoil Íde? Ideally I suppose I'm thinking of The Bish in the longterm and Galway being Galway means I have to start planning now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I haven't thought that far ahead, or done the research, but I probably should!

I don't like the look of the Bish at all, but that's purely a personal reaction and not based on any reports etc.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    My son attends Scoil Ide. After first class, he will move to an all boys school. Most go to either St Pat's in the city centre or Scoil Einde in Salthill which is only a 100 meter walk from Scoil Ide.

TBH, Scoil Einde had a poor reputation up until there was a change of principal a few years ago. The current principal has been a teacher at the school since the late 1970's. It is my opinion that he has turned the school around and it is a well run and disciplined school now. My son will go there after he finished in Scoil Ide. I have spoken to other parents who have sent their sons to Scoil Einde and they are very happy.

My daughter also attends Scoil Ide.

Is there an issue with getting into St.Pat's from Scoil Íde seeing as Scoil Einde is the usual next step? Tbh our preference is for him to go to Pat's. I have heard Scoil Einde has become very good alright but not hearing such good things about Coláiste Einde unfortunately and with things the way they are in this city I need to be sure I get him into the right feeder primary school. Sorry not meaning to offend you if you intend to send your son onto Enda's secondary school...I know different people have different perspectives of what a school is like and I'm only basing this on what a few people have told me of late.

Scoil Einde is then the feeder school for Coláiste Einde, right? Do any kids ever go on to St.Pat's from Scoil Íde nowadays? Are they guaranteed a place in St.Pat's if coming from Scoil Íde? Ideally I suppose I'm thinking of The Bish in the longterm and Galway being Galway means I have to start planning now!

No. Going to Scoil Einde does not give you a divine right to attend Colaiste Einde. Their main criteria is that the student lives in the area (Salthill/Knocknacarra) oand/or have siblings in the school. Students still hace to sit an entrance exam.

The Bish has been consistently good for decades but Colaiste Einde has come on leaps and bounds. Speak to parents and you will soon discover that it is a brilliant school now. Enda's is a mixed school which is important factor for a lot of parents. I hope my kids go there.

Is there an issue with getting into St.Pat's from Scoil Íde seeing as Scoil Einde is the usual next step? Tbh our preference is for him to go to Pat's. I have heard Scoil Einde has become very good alright but not hearing such good things about Coláiste Einde unfortunately and with things the way they are in this city I need to be sure I get him into the right feeder primary school. Sorry not meaning to offend you if you intend to send your son onto Enda's secondary school...I know different people have different perspectives of what a school is like and I'm only basing this on what a few people have told me of late.

There is no problem with going from Scoil Ide to St Pat's.

What is important to you for your choice of secondary school? Bish is best for sports but Enda's is strict and discipline is important. Both schools are academically successful.

Great thanks for all the feedback everyone. Appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

scoil einde is a fantastic school, can not praise it high enough,
    they give the lads so much attention,my son hates leaving it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Paddyfield wrote: »
    No. Going to Scoil Einde does not give you a divine right to attend Colaiste Einde. Their main criteria is that the student lives in the area (Salthill/Knocknacarra) oand/or have siblings in the school. Students still hace to sit an entrance exam.

Living in the area is no longer a criterium for getting a place in Colaiste Einde. The only sure way to get in these days is to have a sibling in the school. Once all siblings have been given a place, the remaining places are allocated through a draw. In my opinion the fairest way to do it. All the father, grandfather, cousin twice removed rules in other schools make it unnecessarily difficult for blow-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dangermouse2005

I was in both Scoil Ide and Scoil Einde and I have to say I hated the latter.
    It is good to read the above replies who have said the school has improved but I wouldn't have reccomended it based on my own (and fellow class mates) experiences.
    Personally I think mixed national schools are better for boys, it is only a shame that majority of the catholic ones still insist on segregation after 1st class. Its just not normal to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Personally I went to Scoil Fhursa before doing 5th and 6th in St. Pats -- my parents figured it would be lot easier getting into the Bish as a result.

Going on percentage of leaving cert class that goes to university the Bish is consistently the best school school for boys in Galway. Of course there is more to School then just the Leaving Cert.

I was in both Scoil Ide and Scoil Einde and I have to say I hated the latter.
    It is good to read the above replies who have said the school has improved but I wouldn't have reccomended it based on my own (and fellow class mates) experiences.
    Personally I think mixed national schools are better for boys, it is only a shame that majority of the catholic ones still insist on segregation after 1st class. Its just not normal to be honest!

Not trying to upstage you, but I forgot to mention that I also went to Scoil Einde (in the 80's). My experience was okay but the school seemed to decline rapidly in the late 90's and has since recovered and improved.

I agree with what you say about mixed schools and I am surprised that The Jes hasn't been suggested here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brokenstick

Scoil Einde lovely school. All kids seem nice, loads of sports, great facilities.
    Bish has good leaving cert record because it tends to get academically inclined pupils so this is not a good indicator. All schools fine it's what the pupil makes of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Scoil Einde lovely school. All kids seem nice, loads of sports, great facilities.
    Bish has good leaving cert record because it tends to get academically inclined pupils so this is not a good indicator. All schools fine it's what the pupil makes of them

The Bish is a broad church, or it was in period 1994-99. After all it's main feeder school is St. Pats.

Advertisement