Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pearl jam

• 25-04-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

anyone else into pearl jam here? been into them from the beginning and i celebrate their whole catalog. eddie's solo into the wild soundtrack was brilliant too. just wanted to see if anyone else out there is a huge fan. supposedly working on their new album now...its been 3 years...way overdue. cant wait to see what they put out this time. one of the things i love about pearl jam is their ability to be diverse and change with the times. ive seen them about 10 times in concert and you cannot beat it for the money and amount of songs they play.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've only really gotten into Pearl Jam in the last few months. I've always heard their popular songs, but never gave them a proper listen. Got Ten around December and I think its an excellent piece of work; Jeremy and Even Flow being my favourite tracks. I've got Vitalogy too, but it hasn't gotten a proper listen yet. Any other albums you'd like to recommend me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Notorious wrote: »
    I've only really gotten into Pearl Jam in the last few months. I've always heard their popular songs, but never gave them a proper listen. Got Ten around December and I think its an excellent piece of work; Jeremy and Even Flow being my favourite tracks. I've got Vitalogy too, but it hasn't gotten a proper listen yet. Any other albums you'd like to recommend me?

I'd recommend "Live on two legs". Brilliant live album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

If you like Ten chances are you'll also like Vs. No Code is another brilliant album. It's a bit different from the previous albums but well worth picking up. Yield is also pretty good. The two subsequent albums, although containing a few class songs, don't really leave me with much of an urge to play them (although in saying that, I haven't been playing any Pearl Jam lately). The eponymous album rocks; really, really like that one. Anyone have Lost Dogs? Some absolute treats to be found there - Fatal, Hard To Imagine, Footsteps, Yellow LedBetter, Footsteps and quite a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Ten into VS is a great transition,very raw album.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

i am a die hard pearl jam fan, so im really into No Code and Yield. you cant beat Ten, Vs. and Vitalogy, but these 2 seem to fit what pearl jam is all about. you get a sense they finally found themselves with No Code and Yield. perfect mixture of upbeat songs, thrashers and lovely ballads. vitalogy SCREAMS out grunge to me though. i think its their darkest album. Ten and Vs. are just unreal and i think everyone loves those 2 albums. give it time and you will soon get into all their stuff. you just need to realize pearl jam loves to change with the times and experiment. thats why i believe they are one of the best bands out there. all great bands are diverse.

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    I'd recommend "Live on two legs". Brilliant live album

live on two legs is an excellent live album. the awesome thing about pearl jam, is since 2000 they have been releasing live albums of every single concert they perform. its awesome seeing them live and then being able to buy that same album to relive your experience.

Monzo wrote: »
    If you like Ten chances are you'll also like Vs. No Code is another brilliant album. It's a bit different from the previous albums but well worth picking up. Yield is also pretty good. The two subsequent albums, although containing a few class songs, don't really leave me with much of an urge to play them (although in saying that, I haven't been playing any Pearl Jam lately). The eponymous album rocks; really, really like that one. Anyone have Lost Dogs? Some absolute treats to be found there - Fatal, Hard To Imagine, Footsteps, Yellow LedBetter, Footsteps and quite a few others.

i agree with you about binaural and riot act. although they are still good albums, they just dont compare with the rest. they both do have some very solid songs on them though. i think this time era was pearl jam's time to be experimental. they dont need to impress anyone since they will always have their base of diehard fans. their self titled album blew me away...it was like going back to the angst of ten and vs. i actually think that its heavier than ten and vs. their motivation for that album was the war in iraq....anger makes excellent songs. i also have lost dogs...great album. funny how some of those songs never made it on the albums. my only idea is that they dont really fit on certain albums. do you know about the mammason trilogy? if you play alive, once and footsteps in order its a trilogy. alive is about the kid finding out about his father and his mom molesting him. once is about him losing control and killing people. and footsteps is about him being on death row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I think I read somewhere that they made some of their poppier songs b-sides to avoid getting them onto the charts, or something to that extent.

Yeah I know about the trilogy, they're three great songs anyway regardless of the link.

Any word on the release date of the new album?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Pearl Jam are just the best band in the world. Nothing really needs to be added to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 SwirlsAllAround

Any other albums you'd like to recommend me?

If you really like Ten, I'd recommend you go through all the albums, in order. Have a good listen to all of them.

Listening to them in order allows you to really appreciate the evolution.
    And as others have already said you're bound to really like the second album, Vs. Another really great album. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

to them in order allows you to really appreciate the evolution.

Dow du dow da dun da Dow du dow da dun da.....it's evolution ba- beeeeeeey....repeat till pogo.

I think I read somewhere that they made some of their poppier songs b-sides to avoid getting them onto the charts, or something to that extent.

Yeah I know about the trilogy, they're three great songs anyway regardless of the link.

no clue. typical pearl jam fashion it will be pushed back like a year, lol. par for the course for them. they have been in the studio for a few months already though and are now on their own label. so could be much quicker release than in the past. did you get the remastered version of TEN yet? my bro sent me it, but i still havent listened to it. the version of brother with lyrics ive heard though...good stuff

Dow du dow da dun da Dow du dow da dun da.....it's evolution ba- beeeeeeey....repeat till pogo.

im the first mammal to wear pants YEAAAAAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

saw them live at Lolla in Chicago summer before last - it was only their second gig that year, and by god were they tight.

They do say a bands greatness is measured by how well they stack up live, well I'd have to admit that pj simply are one of the most fantastic bands of the last 20 odd years in live performance terms.

hada wrote: »
    saw them live at Lolla in Chicago summer before last - it was only their second gig that year, and by god were they tight.

They do say a bands greatness is measured by how well they stack up live, well I'd have to admit that pj simply are one of the most fantastic bands of the last 20 odd years in live performance terms.

agree 100%. i saw them in philadelphia in 2005 when they only did a short tour of the NE of america. they did a rarity night of songs...UNREAL. only true pearl jam fans would appreciate the fact that they did "around the bend" "wash" "in my tree" and "hard to imagine". it was one of the best shows ive ever seen.

i love how eddie drinks a bottle of wine up on stage. their synergy up on stage is unrivaled. i think travis is up there with pearl jam for amazing live shows. saw them at the festival in kilkee, co. clare last summer. UNREAL. fran healy said it was the loudest concert they ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

agree 100%. i saw them in philadelphia in 2005 when they only did a short tour of the NE of america. they did a rarity night of songs...UNREAL. only true pearl jam fans would appreciate the fact that they did "around the bend" "wash" "in my tree" and "hard to imagine". it was one of the best shows ive ever seen.

i love how eddie drinks a bottle of wine up on stage. their synergy up on stage is unrivaled. i think travis is up there with pearl jam for amazing live shows. saw them at the festival in kilkee, co. clare last summer. UNREAL. fran healy said it was the loudest concert they ever played

Pearl Jam are fantastic live but you do them no favours by comparison with those Scottish peddlers of blandness.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Pearl Jam are fantastic live but you do them no favours by comparison with those Scottish peddlers of blandness.

lol, watch it there. they are one of my favorite bands!

Very clever....the pun wasn't intentional though (I'm not that clever):).

lol, watch it there. they are one of my favorite bands!

Fair enough! I liked some of their stuff myself once upon a time, even bought one of their albums (The Man Who) but I didn't like the stuff they released in the last few years, thought it was a bit bland/boring.

Fair enough! I liked some of their stuff myself once upon a time, even bought one of their albums (The Man Who) but I didn't like the stuff they released in the last few years, thought it was a bit bland/boring.

their last album Ode to J. Smith is pretty good. back to the electric guitar like in good feeling. but to each their own...you either love em or hate em.

anyone going to see kasabian in cork? psyched for that show. want to do ****** too, but budget is kind of tight. any other good shows coming to marlay park this year? i saw metallica is playing. saw muse/glasvegas/kasabian there last summer...brilliant show and brilliant venue

• Advertisement

anyone in here from around galway? NE...out around glenamaddy

I am from Galway, not a million miles from yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Moved from Alternative & Indie.

Are you thinking of starting a Pearl Jam tribute band or fan club in the Galway area? :)

I am from Galway, not a million miles from yourself.

nice one...what part?

Are you thinking of starting a Pearl Jam tribute band or fan club in the Galway area? :)

would love to start a tribute band! just thought it would be cool to go out and grab some pints with fellow pearl jam fans. just heard from my brother in texas, that pearl jam is headlining Austin City Limits festival. highly jealous over that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Autumn some time - after the 4 Euro shows, there'll be an album release, then another Euro tour! Love it!!

jenizzle wrote: »
    Autumn some time - after the 4 Euro shows, there'll be an album release, then another Euro tour! Love it!!

NICE! autumn release....my fav time of the year next to spring. vs. came out in autumn...hopefully its on par with that.

being american, i cannot wait to see pearl jam live in europe. the fans seem even more passionate over here. do they ever play anywhere else in ireland besides the point in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

They played in Cork before, think it was the supporting No Code tour. They also played Slane way back in 1992 if I'm right. I'd say we're unlikely to get anything other than a single Dublin date in future.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

NICE! autumn release....my fav time of the year next to spring. vs. came out in autumn...hopefully its on par with that.

being american, i cannot wait to see pearl jam live in europe. the fans seem even more passionate over here. do they ever play anywhere else in ireland besides the point in dublin?

I've seen them in both Europe and US. I enjoyed the experience of being able to walk in 3 mins before they walk on stage, but it's nothing compared to the dancing you get to do at GA shows!

Advertisement