Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Cork 2020 cancelled

• 06-04-2020 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Will there be any Ironman races this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

tunney wrote: »

Apparently a lot have signed up for IM distance Hardman today (don't know if it'll go ahead but I guess people are moving their training goals)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

Apparently a lot have signed up for IM distance Hardman today (don't know if it'll go ahead but I guess people are moving their training goals)

I’m holding out for Hardman. Had always planned on racing it this year but only registered today as I was afraid all the IM Cork punters would sign up. Don’t think this race could manage more than 200 racers max. I was there in 2011 for the first one so should really be at the tenth edition:)

I only give it a 50:50 chance of going ahead, but I’m hoping by late August we will be back to limited outdoor gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

It was to be expected. I signed up for the Hardman myself hopefully that will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I was in for cork too so very tempted by hardman now. Smaller race so maybe slightly better chance of going ahead. Was wondering what capacity was but sounds like it's down at 200.
    Are people assuming cork wont be rescheduled for a new date in around Aug/Sept and just postponed until 2021? That would have been my thoughts just checking peoples views.
    Has hardman a refund policy if race cant go ahead? Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Will there be any races this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    Will there be any races this year?

Was more a rhetorical question - won't be a tri this year in ireland and even wonder about the marathon. Perfect timing for a second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Was more a rhetorical question - won't be a tri this year in ireland and even wonder about the marathon. Perfect timing for a second wave.
    It's about time for a bet lol
    I bet 50 euro there will a triathlon in ireland or an ironman event around the world by December 31 2020

I think it's more of a 50:50 re. a tri in Ireland this year. There are races in the calendar for late September. I suspect by the late summer we will on the downward curve of restrictions re. public gatherings and events.

The marathon on the other hand I'd say is gone by virtue of its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭S_D

peter kern wrote: »
    It's about time for a bet lol
    I bet 50 euro there will a triathlon in ireland or an ironman event around the world by December 31 2020

I agree.

what defines a race? mass start of more than 100 people? what if it's a time trial with staggered starts to work around restrictions? does that count?

that seems a little unfair of a bet peter. anything but no race and you win :)

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    what defines a race? mass start of more than 100 people? what if it's a time trial with staggered starts to work around restrictions? does that count?

that seems a little unfair of a bet peter. anything but no race and you win :)

Well maybe it's not that smart to make such 100 % statements lol so iam not sure it's fair to blame me

Yes staggered start would count . Valentia island had some 60 people last year so that a race it would count.
    I guess any tri with a timing chip. Counts

At the same time I do agree with daves sentiment I don't really see ironman races happening this year
    as it will be important to trace back the source of infections ( location) where the virus was spread and a international crowd makes that very complicated

Well maybe it's not that smart to make such 100 % statements lol so iam not sure it's fair to blame me

Yes staggered start would count . Valentia island had some 60 people last year so that a race it would count.
    I guess any tri with a timing chip. Counts

At the same time I do agree with daves sentiment I don't really see ironman races happening this year
    as it will be important to trace back the source of infections ( location) where the virus was spread and a international crowd makes that very complicated

I see chatter on the athletics board suggesting that marathons be limited to competitions domiciled in the country it is held in. Don't see that being logistically feasible, more wishful thinking.

I see chatter on the athletics board suggesting that marathons be limited to competitions domiciled in the country it is held in. Don't see that being logistically feasible, more wishful thinking.

At some stage it will have to be decided what's going g to kill more people obisidy or corona
    so yes I do not see the marathon happening but alternatives have to be found .
    marathon park runs perhaps limited to 250 people perhaps.

At some stage it will have to be decided what's going g to kill more people obisidy or corona
    so yes I do not see the marathon happening but alternatives have to be found .
    marathon park runs perhaps limited to 250 people perhaps.

Not saying I am an advocate of a long term lock down. Reality is at some stage governments will come to the conclusion that the vaccine is a Summer 2021 at best and we need to get on with life, cocoon the vulnerable and everyone else rolls the dice.

no blame peter, i was only trying to make it interesting. :)

i was only thinking i can organise a "race" right now. get a few lads to all start at the same point, run the same course, and plot the times. only gotcha is they all need to be local to me and run it at different times.

was just pointing out it's a lot easier to say a race happened than it didn't.

no race vs. a race in the exact format it happened in last year might be a bit clearer, leaves out all the grey area in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Updated yesterday on their FB page..
    There no hope that this is going ahead imo..

After assessing all scenarios and in alignment with Cork County Council in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRONMAN Ireland, Cork originally scheduled for June 21 will not take place in 2020 and has been rescheduled to return on August 15, 2021.

We are working diligently on alternative racing options and will provide you with further details by May 8, 2020.

This includes the IRONKIDS Ireland, Cork, originally scheduled for June 20, which is now scheduled for August 14, 2021.

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this decision due to the above-mentioned unforeseen events may come as a disappointment. Athletes will receive an email with further details.

If you have additional questions, please contact ireland@ironman.com. While we are prevented from holding the event on the original event date, we are looking forward to providing athletes with an exceptional race experience at IRONMAN Ireland, Cork in the future. We appreciate your patience in this very dynamic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Good thing about that though is average water temperatures of 16 degrees in August compared to 13.5 in June. #silverlining!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Anybody have any thoughts on the announcement that there is going to be a 70.3 the day before the full distance event in Youghal?

Seems like a brave call to begin with given that things are far from certain with respect to COVID and whether next years event will go ahead as planned.

Regardless of that fact, it also seems like a very unwise choice given that the whole town will already be wedged for the full distance event and adding more people means that everything (roads, accom etc.) will really struggle to cope. Speaking as someone who has had their entry transferred I am wondering how they will work the logistics of transition etc. when there is an event actually in progress on the day that the bikes have to be racked and transition bags checked in!!

Maybe I am wrong but I can't see it going well!!

Who remembers Challenge Galway?

Two races back to back like that would need them to be organisational superstars. Do we feel they were in 2019?

Who remembers Challenge Galway?

Two races back to back like that would need them to be organisational superstars. Do we feel they were in 2019?

I wasn't around for Challenge Galway, was it a mess?

To be fair to them once I finally deciphered the course maps it looks like the bikes from the 70.3 are coming back to a separate transition so should (in theory) free up the main transition. But that still leave all the traffic restrictions and spectators/competitors that will be around while we are supposed to be dropping off our bikes. Also looking at the map its a massive hike from the swim exit to transition (from the front strand side of the lighthouse to in front of the Walter Raleigh) which seems ridiculous.

• Advertisement

coL wrote: »
    Anybody have any thoughts on the announcement that there is going to be a 70.3 the day before the full distance event in Youghal?

Seems like a brave call to begin with given that things are far from certain with respect to COVID and whether next years event will go ahead as planned.

Regardless of that fact, it also seems like a very unwise choice given that the whole town will already be wedged for the full distance event and adding more people means that everything (roads, accom etc.) will really struggle to cope. Speaking as someone who has had their entry transferred I am wondering how they will work the logistics of transition etc. when there is an event actually in progress on the day that the bikes have to be racked and transition bags checked in!!

Maybe I am wrong but I can't see it going well!!

It's a very wise business decision for them. Way less overhead costs for 2 nd race. .
    I always said there was no market for a seperated full and half in ireland but like this there is.
    And obviously, given in 2020 we have a new market leader in ireland in the tri event organisation with hardman , and according to BMC hardman will have 1500 starters next year they are forced to look how they can survive in ireland now being the underdog ( that's pink obviously, at the same time given the Irish gov's way dealing with covid maybe not so much, in a way that it's much more likely for hardman races to happen then the m dot )

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hi guys,

Will this sell out really quick? I was hoping to do this as my first IM (the 70.3) but the first wave is gone in 10 minutes!!

Thanks a lot.

It's a very wise business decision for them. Way less overhead costs for 2 nd race. .

Good business decision, maybe/maybe not. On one habd you might attract a bunch that don't want to do a full distance but on the other there will be some that would have done a full but will now do the half instead. But either way there will be less overhead per competitor with only very little extra cost.

All I know is that my life on the Saturday will be a lot tougher if I have to content with competitors and spectators from the 70.3 while I am trying to get to my accom and drop of my bike and bags!!

Arsenium wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Will this sell out really quick? I was hoping to do this as my first IM (the 70.3) but the first wave is gone in 10 minutes!!

Thanks a lot.

I would say yes, if only because of the first year novelty and the fact that, notwithstanding the weather, last year was a big success and a lot of people might want to do it for that reason alone.

If you are any way serious about doing it get your entry in fast as there is no benefit to waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

coL wrote: »
    All I know is that my life on the Saturday will be a lot tougher if I have to content with competitors and spectators from the 70.3 while I am trying to get to my accom and drop of my bike and bags!!

Tier 4 entry only left so with fees your looking at €640 and accommodation wont be easy get or cheap.
    Hardman full less than €200. Brilliant race and won't have any hassle trying to get to your accom and drop of your bike and bags. If anything one of the most hassle free races i've ever done along with being one of the best.

Having done 2 Hardman event this year actually feel for Alan the organiser. Put a lot of work into having races go ahead this year with all the challenges etc and both were fantasic races on super courses and organised well but people will be blinkered by the IM lights.

Tier 4 entry only left so with fees your looking at €640 and accommodation wont be easy get or cheap.

Oh I already have my entry and accom sorted, was just looking forward to a stress free day the day before the event. Would prefer not to be having to deal with traffic restrictions and road closures.

Good point about the accom tho, not going to be much of it left around for the 70.3 crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Had all fields entered and ready to go, just can't bring myself to pay the €334 entry before factoring in accom and all other expenses. Expensive day out..
    For the 70.3 that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Chris871 wrote: »
    Had all fields entered and ready to go, just can't bring myself to pay the €334 entry before factoring in accom and all other expenses. Expensive day out..
    For the 70.3 that is.

The answer is a couple of posts up... people seem to want the razzmatazz, when there is a uniquely Irish option in the various Hardman events for much less money.
    Don't enter the IM half, enter Hardman Bantry or Waterville... money saved can go on decent accommodation and a few jars after.
    Hardman full less than €200. Brilliant race and won't have any hassle trying to get to your accom and drop of your bike and bags. If anything one of the most hassle free races i've ever done along with being one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

The answer is a couple of posts up... people seem to want the razzmatazz, when there is a uniquely Irish option in the various Hardman events for much less money.
    Don't enter the IM half, enter Hardman Bantry or Waterville... money saved can go on decent accommodation and a few jars after.

I've only ever heard good things about Hardman events, especially this year. Hopefully get one of their races in next year alright.

IM Cork just suits in that a good few from the club will be down for either the full or half. I think 11 are already deferred for the full.

My Birthdays the end of the month, if its not sold out I might have to treat myself.

• Advertisement

Chris871 wrote: »
    For the 70.3 that is.

€300 for a half IM is nuts. That’s €50 and hour for a 6hr finisher :)

Seriously, having two races back to back in a town that came to a standstill in the days leading up the one race last year smacks of desperation and a need to recover costs due to the 2020 cancellation.

Hardman and Ironman are not comparable in that they’re not really the same product, but the price premium charged by IM ain’t worth it imho, certainly for a race like Cork with the high risk of a cancelled swim.

Advertisement