Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Comments

We had a Tour de Back Garden this evening. Me on the BMX, eldest on her bike and the 2 year old in her car driven Flintstones style.

I had no chance , there was sticky bottles for girls from team car mammy all over the place :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Enfilade wrote: »
    We had a Tour de Back Garden this evening. Me on the BMX, eldest on her bike and the 2 year old in her car driven Flintstones style.

I had no chance , there was sticky bottles for girls from team car mammy all over the place :mad:

Again, when are the adorable chronicles of the Enfilade fam and mini Cram coming out?
    We need them now more than ever :D

eeeee wrote: »
    Again, when are the adorable chronicles of the Enfilade fam and mini Cram coming out?

Ah now I'd have to fill the "adorable chronicles" out with the facts. Like the 6 year old being off school now and discovering the 2 year olds buggy is about here and treating it like an old friend and hopping in for snooze when it suits her much to the annoyance of Alice. Dad she's in the buggy again!!!!!

Awwwwwww!

Chapter 2 has dropped :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Stiff as a board from a gardening weekend and no cycling, dont have a turbo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hesker wrote: »
    I fully agree with all you say and that is contained within the directive Brief and Within 2km.

And that is how this thread started out....
    It started out in February with how Covid-19 would affect pro racing as two stages of the UAE Tour were cancelled.

It only became busy after the 2k restriction for the great unwashed was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Anyone else get the feeling, that we're going around in circles here, one with a radius of 2km?

Yes but it ain’t brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

I cycled to the shop this morning. NO REGRETS!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eeeee wrote: »

Mini Cram was gifted a pair of roller skates after someone deicded this was a good idea. His first action when my back was turned and I left him sitting was to get the scooter as a balance aid. Thankfully the car was in the driveway to stop him.

Grand Mini Cram has learned that if he feeds the dogs from baby seat they treat him like a god and he is loving the power he feels. He can't crawl yet but has discovered how to move backwards using just his arms and can now traverse the room in seconds much to the annoyance of his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

If they want people to keep exercise within a certain time limit then they need to clearly define what that time limit is instead of using ambiguous phrases like "brief".

If they aren't too bothered how long people go out for then vague language like this is certainly the way to go.

Personally, I think that the time allowed and the frequency (i.e. one session a day) needs to be clarified otherwise people will just take the p*ss.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Mini Cram was gifted a pair of roller skates after someone deicded this was a good idea. His first action when my back was turned and I left him sitting was to get the scooter as a balance aid. Thankfully the car was in the driveway to stop him.

Grand Mini Cram has learned that if he feeds the dogs from baby seat they treat him like a god and he is loving the power he feels. He can't crawl yet but has discovered how to move backwards using just his arms and can now traverse the room in seconds much to the annoyance of his mother.

This is the content we need right now!
    I'm imagining a mini Cram and grand mini Cram alliance of divlement forming.

And more adorable adventures of the Enfilade clan.
    And mini tales in general.

Including errant pets. :D

No pressure :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Commuted to work. 20 kms and letters in back pocket in case i'm stopped (essential worker).
    No abuse or anything but so little traffic it's creepy.
    Furthest I've been from the house on the bike since the lockdown was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Went for a brief (15-20 min) cycle this morning. Did me the absolute world of good, and I feel much better as a result. I was nervous and apprehensive but there was nobody about bar one walker (around 7am). Not one single car passed me

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Anyone interested in knocking up a DIY cotton mask for themselves and they seem to be coming into vogue listening to the news atm, here's a handy design incorporating 3 cotton layers. Washable and re-usable too.

More in depth discussion on masks in a thread over on the Corona Virus sub-forum so that's not the intention here - except to link to the YouTube video for those interested in making one or more.

There are other designs aplenty of course on YouTube to choose from - I just like the appearance of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FB--BOyTiU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Tim76 wrote: »
    If they want people to keep exercise within a certain time limit then they need to clearly define what that time limit is instead of using ambiguous phrases like "brief".

If they aren't too bothered how long people go out for then vague language like this is certainly the way to go.

Personally, I think that the time allowed and the frequency (i.e. one session a day) needs to be clarified otherwise people will just take the p*ss.

They are working off the assumption that people have the general cop on to work it out for themselves, and not be the selfish ars*s they clearly have decided to be.
    Obviously these people now need to be spoon fed because they cant manage it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

https://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-lifting-restrictions-5067729-Apr2020/

"Varadkar said he does not feel there is a need to arrest people for failing to comply with Covid-19 restrictions as there has been widespread compliance."

Clearly the number of people who are flouting the rules are only a tiny minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/dad-got-the-spanish-flu-clonmel-man-104-sees-historic-lessons-1.4221438?mode=amp

He was cycling up to about 6 or 7 years ago.

About 10 years or so he was doing a 3 day cycle from Galway to Clonmel, via Portumna and Nenagh I think.

At the end of day 2 he got to Nenagh early so decided not to bother with B&B and cycled home!!

I forget why he quit cycling, I must ask

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/dad-got-the-spanish-flu-clonmel-man-104-sees-historic-lessons-1.4221438?mode=amp

About 10 years or so he was doing a 3 day cycle from Galway to Clonmel, via Portumna and Nenagh I think.

At the end of day 2 he got to Nenagh early so decided not to bother with B&B and cycled home!!

Thanks for that.
    That's a real tonic for these times.
    He's 104, has seen it all before, and the photo of him charging his electric car!

We'll get through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was preparing PPE orders for distribution today (as there was no one else to do it).

It seemed a bit grim adding body bags with the sanitiser, gowns, visors, masks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EAD

Legend in my home from when I was a kid hearing about his epic spins. Learned to always check wind direction from those stories.

I was preparing PPE orders for distribution today (as there was no one else to do it).

It seemed a bit grim adding body bags with the sanitiser, gowns, visors, masks etc.

Jesus that is grim :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's hilarious how much joggers are the new cyclists:
    A chara, – Up to 50 per cent of joggers I am seeing are not adhering to the two-metre guideline from the HSE when overtaking pedestrians.

It is disturbing watching some of them puffing and panting as they approach a pedestrian from behind and then brush shoulders as they overtake.

May I suggest to the HSE, that it tells all joggers they must wear high-vis clothing and must get on to to the road and provide the two-metre space when overtaking.

If a car is coming and it is too dangerous to get on the road, they should either stop or jog on the spot. – Is mise,

ALEX STAVELEY,

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/struggling-to-combat-covid-19-1.4222366

"Joggers are breaking the rules! They should wear hi-viz! Don't jog on the footpath! Don't block the traffic on the road!"

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

terrydel wrote: »
    They are working off the assumption...

And that's the problem right there.

When you are working with large groups of people you need to use clear and concise language and avoid any room for interpretation.

They don't say you should stop at a red light light or that parking at the side of any given street is allowed for a brief time only. Specific instruction is given.

Relying on the "cop on" of the general public is a dangerous game.

ronoc wrote: »
    Some of the commentry here is way over the top.

I live near a popular route and according to Strava and my own observations walking it it has been deserted. People are heeding the warnings.

People need to step away from their keyboards and hop on their turbos. You arent helping.

ps. 7 days on the roads are still virtually deserted around here. ( I walk them everyday) If anything I see slightly more cars on the road since the lock down started.

I have seen an increase in families with their children cycling on the roads due to less traffic which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

buffalo wrote: »
    It's hilarious how much joggers are the new cyclists:

"Joggers are breaking the rules! They should wear hi-viz! Don't jog on the footpath! Don't block the traffic on the road!"

The RSA approach to infection control. "You need to make yourself seen by the coronavirus so it won't infect you. Here's a ****ty vest".

ronoc wrote: »
    ps. 7 days on the roads are still virtually deserted around here. ( I walk them everyday) If anything I see slightly more cars on the road since the lock down started.

I have seen an increase in families with their children cycling on the roads due to less traffic which is great to see.

Same for me.
    I live beside a park luckily, and loads of families pedalling along. Hopefully they stick at it once we're over this.

Also seeing a lot of kids learning to drive, load of cars driving strangely in the middle of the road or stalling with a young driver and presumably a parent beside them. I'd say the parental blood pressure is through the roof :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

This weekend will be a big test to judge the compliance rates .Good weather and less people working from home will have a lot of people tempted to venture out maby further than normal .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tim76 wrote: »
    Relying on the "cop on" of the general public is a dangerous game.

The Taoiseach said pretty much the opposite yesterday, that the general public is exercising cop on:
    He said the vast majority of Irish people have been abiding by the regulations that have been put in place whether it's self-isolating for 14 days or obeying the rules around social distancing.

Mr Varadkar added: "I'm sort of glad as a country that we've been able to do that by consent.

"We have regulations on the table ready to sign if we need to bring in the kind of enforcement powers that exist in other countries, but I don't want to be in a position whereby we're criminalising people for going two kilometres away from their home without an adequate excuse."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement