Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere in Dublin delivering potting compost?

• 01-04-2020 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Very low on the priority list obviously, but does anyone know of any garden centres delivering potting compost at the moment? I’m on the west side of Dublin.

Thanks.

Comments

Try your local hardware/building suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Try your local hardware/building suppliers.

It might have passed you by, but they are in lockdown. :D

Aldi or lidl, but you'd need someone to pick them up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Darc19 wrote: »

Aldi or lidl, but you'd need someone to pick them up

Been looking in Aldi over the past few days, don't think that they have any in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Lidl refused to sell compost to me the other day as it wasn't an essential item. The guy in front of me got his alcohol so obviously having a piss up is necessary but some gardening is not.

Farmer next door went to get some fertilizer and paint, was refuses the paint as again not a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

corsav6 wrote: »
    Lidl refused to sell compost to me the other day as it wasn't an essential item. The guy in front of me got his alcohol so obviously having a piss up is necessary but some gardening is not.

Farmer next door went to get some fertilizer and paint, was refuses the paint as again not a necessity.

That’s mad. They still have their deals in, though. In what way is a set of storage cubes or some yoga pants essential?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife was allowed but hessian twine yesterday and i got a moisture meter in lidl the other day. lidl are obviously playing good cop to aldi's bad cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭wally79

I bought paint the other day in lidl. That makes no sense

I know there are more important things going on but could be worth contacting them. Perhaps someone in your local store got the wrong end of the stick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

that's crazy. I was allowed buy a poly tunnel, two kneeling pads and a rotavator in lidl yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Why do they bother stocking it in that case? I saw compost in Aldi yesterday. Should have picked up a few bags witht the groceries.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Why do they bother stocking it in that case? I saw compost in Aldi yesterday. Should have picked up a few bags witht the groceries.

how much is the compost in aldi/lidl? which ones cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know there's not much choice in the matter now, but is the aldi/lidl compost peat free?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Does it depend on how much other stuff you bought at the time?
    Did anyone of you just buy those gardening things?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

tom1ie wrote: »
    that's crazy. I was allowed buy a poly tunnel, two kneeling pads and a rotavator in lidl yesterday.

How much was the rotavator?

How much was the rotavator?

79.99. Its an electric 1.4kw setup. got a quick go of it last night and seems pretty strong and durable. Ive a lot of rocks under about an inch of soil!
    It makes setting up 30 foot mittleider vegetable beds a lot easier!

Darc19 wrote: »

They can still deliver.
    I know mine will drop me over a 1000kg bag for around 100e.
    Wouldn't be collecting that either way :pac:

GreeBo wrote: »
    Does it depend on how much other stuff you bought at the time?
    Did anyone of you just buy those gardening things?

I bought those gardening items with my weekly shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

wally79 wrote: »
    I bought paint the other day in lidl. That makes no sense

I know there are more important things going on but could be worth contacting them. Perhaps someone in your local store got the wrong end of the stick

I'm assuming that too as I was in another lidl this morning and bought other non essential items without issue.
    I was more shocked that the guy on front of me was allowed to purchase alcohol while I was refused.

Lidl do seem to be playing the aul good cop with Aldi being the bad cop. In Lidl they remind you to stay behind the lines while Aldi seem to be the same free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got a bag in Super Valu during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

i know there's not much choice in the matter now, but is the aldi/lidl compost peat free?

Lidl in Tyrrellstown had a good few bags yesterday that was peat free,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

jaffa20 wrote: »

Which Aldi was that? I have been looking in Aldi for awhile and again today but no compost on the shelves. I thought that all Aldi stores carried the same stock at the same time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Ms2011

tom1ie wrote: »
    how much is the compost in aldi/lidl? which ones cheaper?

Bought compost in Aldi yesterday, it was €2 49. I only bought the compost, nothing else, no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I got a few bags and other bits delivered last week from TheGardenShop.ie

They had shut the site for a few days but look to be reopening it again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Bought some planters and plants/bulbs/seeds in lidl yesterday no issues however did get some strange looks from a fella with a trolly full of booze.. go figure!!

I got a few bags and other bits delivered last week from TheGardenShop.ie

They had shut the site for a few days but look to be reopening it again tomorrow.

Still closed at the moment
    "TheGardenShop.ie is included under the Government's list of essential services"

Seems a leap to consider gardening essential...?

"TheGardenShop.ie is included under the Government's list of essential services"

growing our own vegetables is taking pressure off the food supply chain.............................:pac::pac:

Keep people busy

Idle hands and all that

wally79 wrote: »
    Keep people busy

Idle hands and all that

"keeping busy" is hardly essential though, if it was Netflix would be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

They might do agri supplies too so that would cover them for staying in operation.

It kind of is. A few weeks of Netflix and people will start getting restless. This could go on for 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Gardening is essential for me now more than ever.
    Gardening lowers my stress levels helping to keep my autoimmune disease from flaring keeping me from having to take immunosuppressent steroid to put it back in remission.

Advertisement