Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

1282930313234»

Comments

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]
    One poster asked for a second thread so he could " Post shoite without getting a warning!"
    I am happy with the system; it is the reactions that cause issues.

That was just a joke, a bit of satire, Grace. There's no harm in a single thread having a mix of technical contributions, humour, and cat poetry from West Mayo, offshore.
    Why can't we all just post together in harmony?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I did take the trouble to post charts and I take the trouble to interpret them - hence my 'moaning'. but which is more than anything, as far as I can tell, what you yourself have contributed.

All contributors and their efforts are appreciated. Some do amazing work on here which has made it the 'go to' place for many.

[/QUOTE] These pompous, self righteous, holier than thou posts are beginning to grate. [/QUOTE]

As are the snippy, passive aggressive posts and comments. Childish behaviour. Why are some so bothered? If you don't like a particular poster put them on ignore. Getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Sundew wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's not the same "storm" he filmed as cabin doesn't disappear under a wave of sea spray. I regularly take photos/ videos of the same place on different days. Great footage all the same.

It is nothing but a promo for samsung which is unusual for him its normally the god of all phones the iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Sorry for the slightly off topic here,but I for one really appreciate the fantastic knowledge of the contributors on this forum.....and it is annoying to read the silly AH posters who stumble across the forum when it is busy! Just an idea but would it be helpful if weather enthusiasts had to " request" to join certain threads or forum....then it might be easier to moderate messers and sin bin them.

I for one don't have a huge issue with the met.ie warning system, I usually just use it as a guideline and realize that it might not be a good idea to take the dog on his usual morning coastal walk,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

RoisinD wrote: »

As are the snippy, passive aggressive posts and comments. Childish behaviour. Why are some so bothered? If you don't like a particular poster put them on ignore. Getting tiresome.

If it is 'getting tiresome' then take your own advice and press ignore, rather than wagging your finger at others.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I did take the trouble to post charts and I take the trouble to interpret them - hence my 'moaning'. but which is more than anything, as far as I can tell, what you yourself have contributed.

These pompous, self righteous, holier than thou posts are beginning to grate.

I am not referring to you & you know it. But you can always take your own advice & ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The issue is sensationalism in our media. There is very little reporting as an informative nature, but rather outlets competing with one another to out do each other.

I’m the age of global warming the narrative has been set that rains are heavier, winds stronger and catastrophe always looming. With this in place all weather is over inflated to the point that what was once ordinary is now extraordinary.

People have lost trust in the media, in time they will need to correct their ways or public forums like this will replace them as a source of reliable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

I found the storm much worse here in west Kerry during the afternoon... some nasty gusts...

weisses wrote: »
    I found the storm much worse here in west Kerry during the afternoon... some nasty gusts...

I agree. It became really squally. Very hard to walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Either my house is in my own little twilight zone (which would explain my life) or my hedges are really doing their job. No sign of a storm here in my part of mid Clare yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Either my house is in my own little twilight zone (which would explain my life) or my hedges are really doing their job. No sign of a storm here in my part of mid Clare yesterday.

Topology, hedges, buildings etc have a major effect on whether you experience the full wack or not and of course wind direction. Our ancestors knew the best place to build a homestead. Our cottage is a perfect example, during Ophelia a shed in the neighbours field(200yards away) had it's galv roof torn off, opened like a tin of beans. At our place nothing budged, old slate roof, loose sheets of galv all stayed put.

Similar with watching the flood coverage, while a family had built a barrier of sandbags around their bungalow, you could see an old abandoned farmhouse in the background, it was built on higher ground many metres above the high flood level.

Edit: There probably are old venacular dwellings that are flooded too, however these would have been built before our bogs were destroyed.

We've lost so much knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was out around Brandon head today. Saw a video a friend took yesterday and today was a different world.
    The sun even shone enough to get out to the many beaches in the area.

Funster, it seems like common sense isn't so common anymore :(

I'm moving to the Kerry coast where there won't be so many trees and hedges around the house so I'll probably be commenting very different experiences on future boards storm threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Maybe some of the disconnect in this discussion comes from the fact that our weather forum chose (several years ago) to tag the threads with the highest level of alert issued by Met E. This may create an impression that the weather forum endorses the warning levels and the system of county by county warnings.

There is no actual behind the scenes structure to this weather forum that could justify any such assumptions. People have fallen into certain roles, more by the absence of anyone else who wants to fill them. We don't have some committee assigning tasks or responsibilities. The decision to follow Met E warnings came after a period when individual thread starters were randomly assigning what they thought should be the alert levels. With both Darwin and Ophelia we were having some background chats among half a dozen mods and leading posters, about when to go red. If I remember correctly, we actually went red with Darwin before the met service did. With Ophelia we were into the co-ordinated alert era.

The only thing likely to improve if we went back to the old system (where we called the alert level ourselves) might be that we would probably twin these independent alerts to maps showing where they applied. If you're going to go independent, your first move would probably be to free yourself up from the county by county problem.

OTOH, you would introduce the element of the decision-maker(s) coming up with a less accurate overall alert structure than the Met (even after the county by county handicap). This might be a source of derision if we overdid it, and serious legal trouble for Boards.ie if we underdid things. Even over at IWO, we take the same approach -- better to co-ordinate and hope for a good performance, than to issue independent warnings as some do, and end up with bad results and trouble that can be avoided by saying, "this is the official alert, take it or leave it."

But we can improve the status quo by issuing interpretations of the alerts that attempt to pinpoint the actual boundaries.

Timing is a separate issue. It was fairly obvious from most of the guidance that north Mayo, Sligo, north Leitrim and west Ulster would be waiting a long time to get into the stronger winds, and when they did, the storm might be in a declining phase. I'm not sure if a lot of the public whether interacting with our thread or not, caught that detail, but I think the met service warnings did.

I hope we have one more interesting storm because I am eager to try to upgrade our response in the ways described, if the moderators permit. But I think we are stuck with the overall structure of colour coding our threads in lock-step, otherwise we are openly saying we think we can do better. Maybe we can and maybe we cannot. The past record on that is mixed.

So I think it has been a good discussion to have, it's natural that people who do put forward an effort here might think, well if we're going to read ambiguous criticism of forecasts, let's at least put out our own forecasts rather than having a hybrid system of partly their forecasts, partly our own, and hope it all blends into one comprehensive united entity. Sometimes as with Ophelia there are fairly sharp differences of opinion (as we had for areas likely to be west of its track). With this past event, differences were more subtle and I don't know if six different people had been asked to make independent forecasts, perhaps three would have been improvements and three would be non-improvements.

Funster, it seems like common sense isn't so common anymore :(

I'm moving to the Kerry coast where there won't be so many trees and hedges around the house so I'll probably be commenting very different experiences on future boards storm threads.
    When are you moving,? Have you been invited to move?
    Have you been issued with your visa and can you sport a flat cap and talk unintelligibly?
    :)

question for sryanbruen -- can you link to where you first ranked the storms from before the original set we ranked? I would like to see how directly the index values compare. If those storms exceeded recent ones even with a handicap of fewer locations to add up points, I would suggest a correction factor but I don't know what would be an accurate one without seeing the stations in play. Thanks.

When are you moving,? Have you been invited to move?
    Have you been issued with your visa and can you sport a flat cap and talk unintelligibly?
    :)

Hahaha :)
    I'm hoping within the month. I take it most places were closed on Friday with the storm. I couldn't get through to the estate agent.

Im hoping my Cork ancestry might kind of qualify me? :D Its close to Cork, on the Beara peninsula.

Hahaha :)
    I'm hoping within the month. I take it most places were closed on Friday with the storm. I couldn't get through to the estate agent.

Im hoping my Cork ancestry might kind of qualify me? :D Its close to Cork, on the Beara peninsula.

Nothing closed. Hardy lot those Kerry boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Below image is of one of the last squally showers in Clew Bay heading for Westport this evening:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

watlantic wrote: »
    Below image is of one of the last squally showers in Clew Bay heading for Westport this evening:

If Paul Henry had been a photographer, he'd have been proud of that one!

19_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭spookwoman

question for sryanbruen -- can you link to where you first ranked the storms from before the original set we ranked? I would like to see how directly the index values compare. If those storms exceeded recent ones even with a handicap of fewer locations to add up points, I would suggest a correction factor but I don't know what would be an accurate one without seeing the stations in play. Thanks.
    Something Like this?

Up to Lorenzo if anyone interested 8pm

jRge683l.jpg

Map of warning and stations
    0Gb7WM0l.jpg

Map of reported gusts and stations
    CLPbHZhl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭spookwoman

back as far as start of 2019
    CJrocmNl.jpg

fC5RESCl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If you mean the one where I calculated mean max gusts for all the storms in my table MT, here. Honestly completely forgot about that. Hasn't been updated since Storm Gareth of last year! I can update this and add to the stats thread which is here in case you don't know about it already.

EDIT: Actually, you are referring to the daily mean max gusts that indicated the windiest days in terms of gusts, here.

Here's your original post for a Storm Index that I used in the post.

This storm business should be my thesis :cool:

Sryanbruen, what I was asking, when you added a few historic storms to the index, how many stations went into the index values and what if any reduction did that lead to, for those older events, as compared to the list of stations you use more recently?

Just a question as to direct comparison of the index values. I suppose if it's a case where now there are a few more inland places that rarely get above yellow, and otherwise it's 1:1, then the older storms would not be reduced very much. If on the other hand there are one or two more places where a storm can often score 3-4 points, compared to those earlier storms, then we should probably be boosting the older index values by something like 15-20 per cent?

They are already doing well against the more recent set anyway.

Jorge settled into the bottom third of the table, could quite honestly say that I was expecting an outcome closer to 40 or 45 but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Sryanbruen, what I was asking, when you added a few historic storms to the index, how many stations went into the index values and what if any reduction did that lead to, for those older events, as compared to the list of stations you use more recently?

Just a question as to direct comparison of the index values. I suppose if it's a case where now there are a few more inland places that rarely get above yellow, and otherwise it's 1:1, then the older storms would not be reduced very much. If on the other hand there are one or two more places where a storm can often score 3-4 points, compared to those earlier storms, then we should probably be boosting the older index values by something like 15-20 per cent?

They are already doing well against the more recent set anyway.

Jorge settled into the bottom third of the table, could quite honestly say that I was expecting an outcome closer to 40 or 45 but it is what it is.

Older ones had 14 stations considered whilst new ones had 20 stations considered - all of them can be seen in the tables themselves in my post. There are at least a few more storms I would think of adding to the mix including 8 December 1993 and 17/18 January 2007.

Darwin likely gets the edge on old storms because of the station count rather than being a worse storm than say 9 February 1988.

Advertisement