Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

• 26-02-2020 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭

With Corona virus spreading, i wouldn't be surprise if all uk marathons are cancel and same in Europe.

Can see parkruns getting called off also

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Definitely heading that way.

Something similar to the foot and mouth of 2001 - I remember a host of things cancelled but most notably the Ballycotton 10 (aside from St Patricks Day, 6 nations, Cheltenham etc) which ended up being held in June.

Bet they won't cancel Mass though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

With Corona virus spreading, i wouldn't be surprise if all uk marathons are cancel and same in Europe.

Can see parkruns getting called off also

What do people think?

Can't see them being bothered with Parkrun, nobody travelling a distance to take park.
    Local people in a local event.

Can see any large events with over 10,000 people attending being at risk.
    UEFA playoffs
    Large Croke Park / Aviva games

There aren't really any large mass participation events in spring here in running?
    Connemarathon / Belfast marathon / Limerick marathon
    All small enough in numbers and doesn't generate much international travel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Can't see them being bothered with Parkrun, nobody travelling a distance to take park. Local people in a local event.

What about local people who have recently travelled and have no symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

tedpan wrote: »
    What about local people who have recently travelled and have no symptoms?

Shouldn't they be "self isolating" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ismisecraic

I am booked to take part in the Barcelona marathon on the 15th of March. Worried now about how this is escalating on mainland europe.
    I know who is at risk and the likelihood of infection etc but the main problem being is that what is the likelihood of being quarantined for 2 weeks as this situation escalates.

Anyone else have any overseas events coming up and considering postponing / cancelling.

The decisions is a bit easier for me as I decided to make a family holiday out of it so with little kids in tow, im airing on the side of cancelling. Balance payment due for the accomodation by end of tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

I've got the Hamburg marathon coming up in April so that thought crossed my mind as well. Flights etc all booked already so guess just have to roll the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I have Manchester Marathon at the start of April, But have not booked flights or accommodation. Whole situation has me wondering to just give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WesternStorm

I am also booked to do the Barcelona marathon on March 15th. Thankfully I have free cancellation on the accomodation until check in day, so it gives me the luxury to monitor the situation for another few weeks before making a call on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I say London is at risk also

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Im booked for Paris Marathon in April. I cant see it going ahead at this stage to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

The cancellation (or is it just a postponement?) of the Ireland-Italy game does set off some alarm bells.

But the Irish Govt does have form in this regard. Back in 2003 various countries' Special Olympics teams were told that they weren't welcome on account of the SARS panic of that time.

In June 2003 it was eventually conveyed to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region that they'd be tolerated. Have a look at the official WHO figures at the time the decision was made:

https://www.who.int/csr/sars/country/2003_06_06/en/

Going by today's panicked reaction the Irish Govt would have banned the Canadians and Americans.

Granted, world travel has increased massively over the intervening years but, from a European perspective, back in 2003 we had Schengen and we had Ryanair flights etc. (Then again the Ryanair trick of calling something Frankfurt Hahn etc is almost like flying people into areas so remote from their intended destinations, 125+ km in some cases, that it's a bit like a quarantine regime).

For race organisers they're in a completely different position than St Patrick's Day parades/gatherings etc. Race organisers know or ought to know the nationality of a large percentage of their participants. It makes any so-called risk assessment much easier, even before engaging with the health authorities.

The Irish boxing delegation are returning from Italy today. It'd appear that we'll take the medieval-plague-is-upon-us approach at national level but whether it generates any new-found political interest in funding the health service is another matter.

At the end of the day I fear that a number of perfectly safe events in Irelan will be cancelled out of the symbolism of being seen to 'do something', e.g. wear a hi-vis vest and stare mournfully at Shannon flooding whilst nodding seriously every so often etc.

However, I strongly doubt that other countries will hit the 'national panic' button. Sure, it'd play very well as a dog whistle in some countries to be 'keeping out the foreign threat' but braver politicians, better-equipped health systems, and the likelihood of a temperature rise (with consequent drop in viral survival rates outside a host) should all contribute to the situation becoming a properly-assessible risk over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

boydkev wrote: »
    I have Manchester Marathon at the start of April, But have not booked flights or accommodation. Whole situation has me wondering to just give it a miss.

In the same boat, looking at some local alternatives if there are travel restrictions and mass event cancellations. Manchester is 25,000 this year so a major event now.

I've flights booked but with Ryanair so feel safe enough as I'm unlikely to pick up the virus with them as they'll probably charge for it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

I am also booked to do the Barcelona marathon on March 15th. Thankfully I have free cancellation on the accomodation until check in day, so it gives me the luxury to monitor the situation for another few weeks before making a call on it.

same here, can cancel my accomodation up to the 12th. will see how things pan out in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ismisecraic

I think I'm gonna do the same. Emailed our accommodation and they're not phased by the news at all. Think we lose a deposit by tomorrow but only couple hundred euro which might be OK to roll the dice on and see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

Lots of spring marathons could be cancelled I'd say.

London, Manchester, Paris, Rome, Rotterdam, Vienna, Hamburg, Barcelona?

Signed up for Manchester myself.

Limerick an alternative option.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭racersedge

Signed up with a running mate to do Prague on the May bank holiday weekend. We were only joking last night if we would actually get there! A little bit more sobering when you do look at other events closer to home getting cancelled.
    Would be the thoughts of going through a training cycle with no race that would be more maddening at this very moment to be honest, followed by an potential loss of travel and entry stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The cancellation (or is it just a postponement?) of the Ireland-Italy game does set off some alarm bells.

But the Irish Govt does have form in this regard. Back in 2003 various countries' Special Olympics teams were told that they weren't welcome on account of the SARS panic of that time.

In June 2003 it was eventually conveyed to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region that they'd be tolerated. Have a look at the official WHO figures at the time the decision was made:

https://www.who.int/csr/sars/country/2003_06_06/en/

Going by today's panicked reaction the Irish Govt would have banned the Canadians and Americans.

Granted, world travel has increased massively over the intervening years but, from a European perspective, back in 2003 we had Schengen and we had Ryanair flights etc. (Then again the Ryanair trick of calling something Frankfurt Hahn etc is almost like flying people into areas so remote from their intended destinations, 125+ km in some cases, that it's a bit like a quarantine regime).

For race organisers they're in a completely different position than St Patrick's Day parades/gatherings etc. Race organisers know or ought to know the nationality of a large percentage of their participants. It makes any so-called risk assessment much easier, even before engaging with the health authorities.

The Irish boxing delegation are returning from Italy today. It'd appear that we'll take the medieval-plague-is-upon-us approach at national level but whether it generates any new-found political interest in funding the health service is another matter.

At the end of the day I fear that a number of perfectly safe events in Irelan will be cancelled out of the symbolism of being seen to 'do something', e.g. wear a hi-vis vest and stare mournfully at Shannon flooding whilst nodding seriously every so often etc.

However, I strongly doubt that other countries will hit the 'national panic' button. Sure, it'd play very well as a dog whistle in some countries to be 'keeping out the foreign threat' but braver politicians, better-equipped health systems, and the likelihood of a temperature rise (with consequent drop in viral survival rates outside a host) should all contribute to the situation becoming a properly-assessible risk over the coming weeks.

Ireland hasn't hit the panic button. Loads of Serie A games were cancelled last week and more this week. Tokyo marathon was cancelled also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Cork will be ok, right? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Ireland hasn't hit the panic button. Loads of Serie A games were cancelled last week and more this week. Tokyo marathon was cancelled also.
    Both those countries have actual cases. Here it's a case of various Govt Ministers (e.g. Health, Sport etc) elbowing one another out of the way to stand beside a traffic light and roar 'turn red, I command you to turn red' and sure enough the light changing as it was expected to. We're in the phase of 'managing the message' and being seen to do something.

If they force the IRFU to cancel events now then I can't see why people would hope that the Limerick marathon would survive in May, as we're into a different version of the Irish tradition of what-about-ery.

For events outside Ireland it'll be a nervous few weeks ahead to see what'll be cancelled but if it's like the SARS or Asian Bird Flu panics then we've at least another two months of drama ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Due to do Manchester myself.

Right now there's no reason for cancellations. But this could change really really quickly. Look at how the numbers in Italy exploded. A week ago there was nothing there, now there are 300 cases. There could be 3000 by this weekend.

Even then, I don't really see a need to cancel Irish parkruns unless the whole country goes in to total lockdown like in Wuhan. 100-200 people in one place for 45 minutes without major travel is really not that worrying. That said, I can see logic disappearing if things go south rapidly.

20,000 in Manchester having travelled from god knows where and filling all the hotels in town is just totally different.

Once a few things get cancelled it will snowball rapidly as nobody will be seen to be taking a risk. And insurance companies may get involved.

I can't see St Patricks Day parade in Dublin happening if we have any kind of outbreak here, for example.

Finally, contrary to the bullsht I see on Facebook, this is NOT like the flu. The mortality of coronavirus is 20-30 times higher than flu, there's a vaccine for flu, and then there's the uncertainty surrounding something so new and unknown.

WASH YOUR BLOODY HANDS EVERYONE. IF YOU FEEL SICK STAY HOME. DO NOT GO TO WORK OR TO YOUR GP OR TO HOSPITAL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Both those countries have actual cases. ...

I think you're missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Down for Madrid end of April Filghts paid accomdation due in 3 weeks. Unless theree is a travel ban in place I will travel even if marathon bites the dust.

YOLO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can't see them being bothered with Parkrun, nobody travelling a distance to take park.
    Local people in a local event.

We get groups of 30 or so flying over from the UK to visit Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I wonder is Manchester would get cancelled and refunded. My training is going crap for for it so I wouldn't be too off put :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Paris half cancelled - 1 days notice!.
    All events of 5000 or more cancelled in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Paris half cancelled - 1 days notice!.
    All events of 5000 or more cancelled in France.

Saw that! I think we’ll see more of that over the next while. 5 weeks to Manchester tomorrow, it’s gonna be touch and go looking at the infection timeline from Asia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

pc11 wrote: »
    Finally, contrary to the bullsht I see on Facebook, this is NOT like the flu. The mortality of coronavirus is 20-30 times higher than flu, there's a vaccine for flu, and then there's the uncertainty surrounding something so new and unknown.

WASH YOUR BLOODY HANDS EVERYONE. IF YOU FEEL SICK STAY HOME. DO NOT GO TO WORK OR TO YOUR GP OR TO HOSPITAL.

All depends what stats you are comparing between the flu and covid19. Some sites list 0.1% death rate for flu, of those infected but could vary between 0.4‰ and 3% for Covid19, or even 15% if they just talk about over 80 year olds.

I'm not concerned about a difference between 0.1% and 0.4% as whilst it several times higher it's still negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Note to anyone here. Your travel insurance does not cover you for a marathon. If you happened to be going to London on the same weekend as the marathon and need to cancel then that is a totally different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

robinph wrote: »
    All depends what stats you are comparing between the flu and covid19. Some sites list 0.1% death rate for flu, of those infected but could vary between 0.4‰ and 3% for Covid19, or even 15% if they just talk about over 80 year olds.

I'm not concerned about a difference between 0.1% and 0.4% as whilst it several times higher it's still negligible.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Keep off cruise ships is generally good advice to stay healthy.

Advertisement