Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contacting Gardai to enforce parking laws in cycle lanes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

While our force relies on people spending money on physical media to hand over digital recordings as evidence, West Midlands Police show how easily it can be done if there is the will to do so...
    While I applaud the principle, I'm not sure that a vendor-owned platform is an appropriate place for allegations of a crime.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Thing is they don't need physical media when it suits. They're happy to receive dashcam footage when requested

I've had mixed responses about what media to use, depending on the Garda involved. I sent one a link to a copy of the video on Google Drive, and she said downloaded it from there. I sent one a very short low-res copy by email, and he definitely got the email and replied. I've given some copies on CD or DVD. I've given some on USB, and one told me recently he'd have to download from USB to disk, 'but we're a bit short on disks around here'. I've had Gardai tell me they were using their own personal laptops to view footage or phones as they didn't have a work device.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

DCC pilot project will see cameras installed to detect drivers parked or driving in bus and cycle lanes
    to be introduced in the first half of 2020 will see selected routes installed with cameras which automatically capture a vehicle’s registration in order to issue a fine. If successful, it could be used as a model for Government to roll it out nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thing is they don't need physical media when it suits. They're happy to receive dashcam footage when requested

And they will (when it suits them) say that dash cam is not evidence and look for a written statement to confirm what is on same cam footage. Modern policing 101!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

zell12 wrote: »
    Not before time, but i'm already seeing bleating about it being a money making racket! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not before time, but i'm already seeing bleating about it being a money making racket! :rolleyes:

Ssssh dont tell any motorists, but an easy way to avoid this money making racket is to avoid driving in the bus lane. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ssssh dont tell any motorists, but an easy way to avoid this money making racket is to avoid driving in the bus lane. Simple.
    Same as speeding, but it's just shooting fish in a barrel, Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In Westland row the biggest offenders are AGS at the centra.
    Who do you call there??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Would you or your family have a relation or friend in the AGS or traffic wardens(9many families have) they could act for you on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

Happy even to request it........ attitude of Gardaí to parking in cycle lanes is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DCC already pay DSPS millions to enforce the road traffic and parking acts then they do diddly squat other than light meter enforcement.

This will be another massive expenditure for low results. Like the red light cameras they switched off.

Dublin City Council are f#ckin knobheads on cushy pensions.

• Advertisement

In Westland row the biggest offenders are AGS at the centra.
    Who do you call there??
    You call IBikeDublin;

https://twitter.com/IBikeAlerts/status/1212782977979240449

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

ED E wrote: »
    DCC already pay DSPS millions to enforce the road traffic and parking acts then they do diddly squat other than light meter enforcement.

The contact for DSPS expired recently. The previous operator retained the contract but apparently the terms have changed significantly. Previously, they were obliged to spend most of their effort on paid-parting enforcement and most of that in the city centre. The new contract obliges them to enforce a broader range of parking offences across the entire DCC area. It will be interesting to see how it works out in reality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My daughter attends that school and Mrs WA is on the Management Committee. The issue of illegal parking is regularly discussed and all parents have been notified about it several times. There is only so much the school can do as it's not their property. The Gardai do occasional token enforcement when pressurised but as soon as they go, it's back to square one again.

If it's the school kids being dropped off then surely the school can identify the parents responsible and write to them with a threat of detention for the kids or some such. That will then result in the parents getting all worked up about it and self identifying as the ones parking illegally as they then phone up a radio show in disgust where you then have someone tell them what idiots they are and some road safety bod give them a stern talking to.

Meanwhile the kids get scared about getting detentions or docked marks or something and make sure the parents drop them off legally.

School would never even need to go through with the threat. Would be entertaining to see it happen in the media if nothing else.

robinph wrote: »
    If it's the school kids being dropped off then surely the school can identify the parents responsible and write to them with a threat of detention for the kids or some such. That will then result in the parents getting all worked up about it and self identifying as the ones parking illegally as they then phone up a radio show in disgust where you then have someone tell them what idiots they are and some road safety bod give them a stern talking to.

Meanwhile the kids get scared about getting detentions or docked marks or something and make sure the parents drop them off legally.

School would never even need to go through with the threat. Would be entertaining to see it happen in the media if nothing else.
    Entertaining indeed, but it would not be on to punish kids for the sins of their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

If it's the school kids being dropped off then surely the school can identify the parents responsible and write to them with a threat of detention for the kids or some such.

It's worth remember that it's a private, fee-paying school. The children.parents you're talking about are the schools customers. Also it's not the schools problem. It's not really causing them any issue at all. Combine these two things and you can see why their efforts at stopping it are half-hearted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

markpb wrote: »
    It's worth remember that it's a private, fee-paying school. The children.parents you're talking about are the schools customers. Also it's not the schools problem. It's not really causing them any issue at all. Combine these two things and you can see why their efforts at stopping it are half-hearted.

Private schools have always been concerned about reputational damage. Mine sent teachers, after school, down to the nearby Dart station to tackle rowdy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If it's the school kids being dropped off then surely the school can identify the parents responsible and write to them with a threat of detention for the kids or some such.....
    Dropping off pupils is a much smaller problem as it generally just a set down and go again. It's the queuing up while waiting to pick up is the main problem.

I'd imagine that the school authorities don't really see traffic policing of a public street as being within their remit. It's probably not really in their interest either as they rely on parents for much of the extra funding via donations etc. in addition to fees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Private schools have always been concerned about reputational damage. Mine sent teachers, after school, down to the nearby Dart station to tackle rowdy behaviour.

Not certain if it is a fee paying school or not, but one around my area has recently got in the local press due to the teachers blocking kids from entering the shops and take aways along the walk home which has resulted in the shops getting upset about their takings, and that teachers are blocking their doors to other people as well during school home time.

Schools certainly do take an interest in what goes on in their area. Admittedly my idea was daft, but the school can certainly do more to prevent kids getting run over outside their gates.

They could just block the road themselves for a couple of days with some staff in high viz and clipboards writing down reg numbers and taking photos. They could be more proactive in making the changes happen if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....They could just block the road themselves for a couple of days with some staff in high viz and clipboards writing down reg numbers and taking photos.....
    Are you for real? Why on earth would staff do that? Would you expect staff in a hospital to go out and police the roads? What about double parking outside shops - would you expect shop staff to go out? And who would do the teaching while school staff are out doing the work of the Gardai? If my employer asked me to go out and police the roads, I know how I'd respond.

Dropping off pupils is a much smaller problem as it generally just a set down and go again. It's the queuing up while waiting to pick up is the main problem.

I'd imagine that the school authorities don't really see traffic policing of a public street as being within their remit. It's probably not really in their interest either as they rely on parents for much of the extra funding via donations etc. in addition to fees.

At this particular school, some parents leave the car double-parked on top of the bike lane while walking their little darlings across the road to their classroom. It's a lot more than set-down and go.

I understand there is also vehicular access to the school through Leeson Lane. It looks like this is through the staff car park. The school could provide some kind of set-down access here, though I guess that might be slightly less convenient for the parents.

• Advertisement

Are you for real? Why on earth would staff do that? Would you expect staff in a hospital to go out and police the roads? What about double parking outside shops - would you expect shop staff to go out? And who would do the teaching while school staff are out doing the work of the Gardai? If my employer asked me to go out and police the roads, I know how I'd respond.

Well the students are the responsibility of the school so if the environment immediately outside the school is not safe for them then they should be doing something about it.

No I wouldn't expect shop staff to be policing the area outside their shop, but if you had a shop selling things for blind or disabled people for example and the public were parking on the pavement outside or blocking the disabled parking bays then I would expect that the shop did something pro-active about it in the absence of the police doing so to protect their customers.

The school has a responsibility for the children. Their customers (the parents) are putting their other customers (the children) at risk and the school has it in its powers to do something more about it. Limited powers that amount to pointing a finger and scowling a bit admittedly, but they can certainly do more than ignore the problem and pretend it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bus lane..... Actually it's a shared lane as the big bike is painted now instead of putting in lines inside a lane....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Just how big of a sh1tbag do you have to be to roll a car on the NCR ?

I hope the driver is suitable punished, somehow I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Doesn't always involve speed, it's actually easier to do if the wheel is turned and grips a wall, tree or other car wheel for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

How do you the driver rolled the car?? There were three cars involved so no way of knowing how the car ended up on it’s roof from the picture posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I hope the driver is suitably punished, somehow I doubt it

In fairness, you can flip a car at very low speeds, if you manage to hook the front tyre off something. However, it's at least careless driving if you manage to hit anything at all.

Edit: here's a typical one, just posted today: https://youtu.be/J9IRegA_EgA?t=313

Just to add from today's Star, driver attempts to escape. In this case, the garda are 'to enforce parking laws in cycle lanes' :pac::D
    EVEUadpUcAAPtlo?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Interesting thread.

Most nights taxis use the main cycle lane in town as their own rank, with no tickets or enforcement from Gardai, even when called.

Last year, I waited for Gardai to arrive and when they did, they weren't even sure what law was being broken.
    I actually had to point out the cycle lane to them and even then, they refused to issue a single ticket, all the while more taxis pull up and wait in the lane for customers.

The two Gardai smirk and quote that they are using their "discretion" and asked me where my helmet was if I was so concerned about my safety. No lie.

I contacted GSOC and 4 months later the station inspector rang me.
    Told me he'd have a word with the Gardai involved but couldn't do much more than that, not before adding; "taxi drivers are only trying to make a living, you know" - not even sure how to respond to such a woefully ignorant comment from someone who has the title of inspector in his position. The fact that Gardai are the ones issuing these offending taxis their PSV licenses makes it even worse IMO. They are actively allowing such behaviour to go unpunished, meaning it'll keep happening.

I have pretty much given up ever expecting AGS to do something beneficial towards cycling safety, at least here anyway.

I just find the whole mindset and attitude absolutely appalling, from the Gardai I've experienced anyway.

Is it even worth pursuing that, as even GSOC couldn't resolve it? Contact the Commissioners office perhaps? Or just a waste of time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement