Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacting Gardai to enforce parking laws in cycle lanes

• 04-12-2019 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Is there a way to fund out which Gardai station is covering a particular road and park enforcement? After that is there a way to get them to actually enforce the law?

One particular route I use once a week always has cars parked in the cycle lane which is a continuous white line. It is the same cars every week so I take it they aren't getting tickets regularly if ever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Call the nearest garda station and ask.
    It's at the garda's discretion to enforce.

You can write to the Supt in the local station and highlight same.
    You can also contact councillors to bring it up at your Council's Joint Policing Committee meeting.
    A commitment was given in the 2019 Garda Roads Policing Plan to enforce cycle lane parking.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

zell12 wrote: »

You can also contact councillors to bring it up at your Council's Joint Policing Committee meeting.
    A commitment was given in the 2019 Garda Roads Policing Plan to enforce cycle lane parking.:rolleyes:

And if you believe that, I'll tell you the one about Goldilocks and the Three Bears

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There are 3 stations that could be involved when I asked before all 3 named a different station but it certainly wasn't them.

Map of districts Cso or GIS

Eamonnator wrote: »
    And if you believe that, I'll tell you the one about Goldilocks and the Three Bears
    Well
    I am further informed that An Garda Síochána’s Roads Policing Operations Plan for 2019 was developed with a particular road safety focus on the vulnerable road user categories of motorcyclists, pedal cyclists, learner-permit holders and pedestrians. To ensure safety on our roads, all road users must comply fully with relevant road traffic legislation. An Garda Síochána are committed to educating all road users in their attitudes and behaviour, and when necessary detecting and intercepting dangerous drivers, or those who refuse to comply with road traffic laws; including the enforcement of cycle track access for cyclists during designated hours. https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2019-09-24a.516

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^
    A modern fairytale.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭steve-o

If the area is in Dublin City, I have found DCC parking enforcement to be very responsive - parkingenforcement@dublincity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    After that is there a way to get them to actually enforce the law?
    Effectively impossible in my experience. You can chase the Gardai, you can contact the Road Policing Unit, you can contact local Councillors, you can contact the businesses that the drivers are visiting, you can contact the clampers if you're in Dublin, and they might come out about 2-4 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I spent about a year trying to get someone to stop people parking at the bus stops outside the Gaelscoil on Parnell sq east and holding up hundreds of people at rush hour. Short answer was nobody cared except the school and Dublin bus they couldn't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had the same at Loretto on the green. Sometimes triple parking there - one in the parking pace, one in the bike lane and one outside that again. Ther could be a line of 6 - 10 cars parked in the bike lane? Eleven when there were spaces free. Lot handier you just put the car on the indicators and abandon it.

When a girl got clipped by a car when overtaking this in front of me a few years ago, I got onto the school, DCC and the gardai. The guard I was swapping emails with pretty much admitted it was unenforceable. Still goes on to this day. No punishment, no sanction, no change.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Don't waste your time, they don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

droidus wrote: »
    I spent about a year trying to get someone to stop people parking at the bus stops outside the Gaelscoil on Parnell sq east and holding up hundreds of people at rush hour. Short answer was nobody cared except the school and Dublin bus they couldn't do anything about it.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Had the same at Loretto on the green. Sometimes triple parking there - one in the parking pace, one in the bike lane and one outside that again. Ther could be a line of 6 - 10 cars parked in the bike lane? Eleven when there were spaces free. Lot handier you just put the car on the indicators and abandon it.

When a girl got clipped by a car when overtaking this in front of me a few years ago, I got onto the school, DCC and the gardai. The guard I was swapping emails with pretty much admitted it was unenforceable. Still goes on to this day. No punishment, no sanction, no change.

Ireland in a nutshell... :rolleyes:

(Yes, it's a great place in many ways, but this kind of stuff is endemic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Theyll do fookin nuttin.

It's not a huge leap to assume that this is indeed some degree of response to the fair old battering that AGS has got on Twitter over recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pinch Flat wrote: »

My daughter attends that school and Mrs WA is on the Management Committee. The issue of illegal parking is regularly discussed and all parents have been notified about it several times. There is only so much the school can do as it's not their property. The Gardai do occasional token enforcement when pressurised but as soon as they go, it's back to square one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

zell12 wrote:
    You can write to the Supt in the local station and highlight same. You can also contact councillors to bring it up at your Council's Joint Policing Committee meeting.

If you do this, have photos and/or video to show them, preferably including number plates.

It's not a huge leap to assume that this is indeed some degree of response to the fair old battering that AGS has got on Twitter over recent months.
    Agree. The terms 'parked illegally' and 'vulnerable road users' is a giveaway imo

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Always check what's on the tax disc before reporting it as 'illegally parked', otherwise you would be completely wasting your time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Always check what's on the tax disc before reporting it as 'illegally parked'

I reported a car with tax disc 24 months out of date, no insurance, no NCT and the Gardai don't bother doing anything.

I've a neighbour who has been banned from driving, so clearly won't have insurance, who still drives everywhere, most of the time she's drunk.
    The Gardai say they'd have to catch her in the act. Just not bothered with her either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's a daily external abuse of footpaths at DART stations, Portmarnock is notorious. I think cycle lanes and the new cycling law is in the same boat, indifference to it unless someone is seen to be flouting it and the Garda are in the mood to do something. If they can barely be bother to nail cars in bus lanes, not a hope on cycle lanes

Always check what's on the tax disc before reporting it as 'illegally parked', otherwise you would be completely wasting your time :pac:
    Why?

Effects wrote: »
    I've a neighbour who has been banned from driving, so clearly won't have insurance, who still drives everywhere, most of the time she's drunk.
    The Gardai say they'd have to catch her in the act. Just not bothered with her either.

I wonder what happens if you have video evidence of her driving?
    Theyll do fookin nuttin.
    Effects wrote: »
    I reported a car with tax disc 24 months out of date, no insurance, no NCT and the Gardai don't bother doing anything.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    indifference to it unless someone is seen to be flouting it and the Garda are in the mood to do something. If they can barely be bother to nail cars in bus lanes, not a hope on cycle lanes

Relax the cacks, lads. They're on the case.

https://twitter.com/dlrcc/status/1202598679661731840

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

I called the Gardai a few months ago about a drunk driver who had crashed into two cars in our estate (he was still in the car driving around at time of call). They told me straight out they didnt have the manpower to send a car at that time. Didn't ask me for the reg and didn't say they'd send someone out when they could.

Last week a neighbours house was broken into whilst they lay asleep upstairs. They woke up to find 2 laptops and the family car gone They rang the Gardai who sent someone out at 4pm that day more than 10 hrs after the call was made.

If they can't be bothered with this stuff what difference do you think a call about a car in a cycle lane is going to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Lucifer wrote: »

What an unbelievable bellend. Does cyclists like myself no favours.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    ^^^^^^
    A modern fairytale.
    ...but one without a "happy ever after" ending :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why?......
    I think he/she means it may be a Garda/state vehicle. In such vehicles, there will be a 'normal' tax disc but it will show €0.00.

I think he/she means it may be a Garda/state vehicle. In such vehicles, there will be a 'normal' tax disc but it will show €0.00.
    Good to know, thanks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

While our force relies on people spending money on physical media to hand over digital recordings as evidence, West Midlands Police show how easily it can be done if there is the will to do so...

https://twitter.com/WMPTIU/status/1205101051289968641

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thing is they don't need physical media when it suits. They're happy to receive dashcam footage when requested

Advertisement