Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful warm sunny day in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

21.4C in Castlebar and there has probably been more sunshine today than we have seen all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sudden showers now then sun in between.. not an ounce of malice in the day.. west Mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was a beautiful morning here warmsh and sunny. Now it’s back to the overcast skies and cloud. Not cold though and thankfully that wind is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

esposito wrote: »
    Most July’s are utter rubbish in Ireland.
    If by 'rubbish' you mean relentlessly warm and humid, then I agree, most July's are rubbish.

But for dry, sunny and warm weather, July will always deliver, and even during the so-called 'wash out' summers, rain did not occur that frequently, but I guess, being Ireland, a few showers can be enough to ruin the day for some.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Calibos wrote: »
    There is always major conflict within me when it comes to Irish weather.

It really seems like you don't enjoy hot weather or extreme weather at all but feel like you should because other people do. Your preferences are your own.

Another warm day in the Dublin area, every time I look at the forecast cooler weather seems to always be 1-2 days out but it doesn't happen. I do wish there was a better mix instead of every day and every night being the same.

Phoenix Park seems to be the warmest location nearly every day this month

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Calibos wrote: »
    There is always major conflict within me when it comes to Irish weather. For example, I was disgusted last year when the West of Ireland and the UK saw temperatures into the 30's and we on the East Coast missed out and yet......lasted about 1 minute sitting out in 26ºc heat last year and said to myself, "Feck that for a game of Soldiers!!". I guess I'm like a child in that respect. I want what others have and am disgusted we invariably always miss out, .

You were better off missing out on the ridiculously warm night i had on Thursday. It was 30 c at 10 pm! At no point during the night did it go below 27c.

Apparently the excessive heat may have been caused by a collapsing thunderstorm.

Thank goodness it's cooler and fresher now. I pity anyone who has to live with hot and humid weather all the time.

The ideal climate is somewhere like Southern California (San Diego for example). Always sunny and around 25-28 degrees. Always a small breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Sitting in the garden looking at the sky I noticed that the cirrus clouds are moving from SE to NW and the cumulus are moving NW to SE ....

• Advertisement

The ideal climate is somewhere like Southern California (San Diego for example). Always sunny and around 25-28 degrees. Always a small breeze

I was there a few years ago in October. The temperature was between 24- 27 most days

It was quite something to hear the locals complaining about one day of rain in 16

Then when i got tired of all the warm weather, i went to the mountains for some snow.

Yes the beauty of California, you can surf every day, head to the desert if you want serious heat or go skiing ! Amazing place
    I was there a few years ago in October. The temperature was between 24- 27 most days

It was quite something to hear the locals complaining about one day of rain in 16

Then when i got tired of all the warm weather, i went to the mountains for some snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the next week looks decent enough but it looks like the dry settled conditions are going to come to an end from next Sunday. The charts for the first two weeks of August aren't pretty with a real autumnal flavour to them.

You really don't turn your back on it do you? :cool:

I have an odd feeling we'll be seeing a lot of snow this coming winter, which probably means that we won't. :o

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It's actually funny reading some of the comments on here about the "heat" and "crippling humidity" :D

Fret not, you will be back to 10 months of gloomy, wet, dull horrible weather before you know it.

Summer has been very nice here in Wicklow... very little rain and lots of days in the 20s.

Phoenix Park seems to be the warmest location nearly every day this month

Dublin Apt on the other-hand has the 2nd lowest mean minima so far this July with Mt. Dillon taking the top spot in this regard.

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

HighLine wrote: »
    It's actually funny reading some of the comments on here about the "heat" and "crippling humidity" :D

Fret not, you will be back to 10 months of gloomy, wet, dull horrible weather before you know it.

Summer has been very nice here in Wicklow... very little rain and lots of days in the 20s.

Beautiful county, would love to visit again. You tend to fare not badly with the weather events either. Jammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Dublin Apt on the other-hand has the 2nd lowest mean minima so far this July with Mt. Dillon taking the top spot in this regard.

Yeah. I’ve never understood how a coastal station, which gets moderated by the sea breeze during the day, can get so cold at night. Its minima are way below all other coastal stations.

On clear, calm nights in particular DA is often the coldest place in the county.

I remember a few years back during an exceptionally warm June period it got down to 2 degrees I think. Seemed bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

HighLine wrote: »

I know. Ireland has literally one of the coolest climates in the world in summer.

Apart from Greenland, Iceland, Scotland, the Artic Ciircle and western Norway there’s nowhere cooler.

Complaining of the heat seems laughable. However everyone’s different I guess and what suits one person won’t suit another!

For me 20-25 is perfect, regardless of humidity. Humidity is only really a factor when temps actually start getting hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

compsys wrote: »
    Yeah. I’ve never understood how a coastal station, which gets moderated by the sea breeze during the day, can get so cold at night. Its minima are way below all other coastal stations.

On clear, calm nights in particular DA is often the coldest place in the county.

I remember a few years back during an exceptionally warm June period it got down to 2 degrees I think. Seemed bizarre.

Frost hollow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I have an odd feeling we'll be seeing a lot of snow this coming winter, which probably means that we won't. :o

I've the opposite feeling, I think a very mild winter and Chasing even a bit of a frosty weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful day in Kildare with a high of 23c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another lovely day in North County Dublin. July has been brilliant in Dublin. Last year the heatwave was such an exception I was dreading how we would cope with miserable summer this year. June was a right off but July has been brilliant. 20 degrees most days here + very little rain. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Best Saturday of the summer in Dublin? Possibly

July has been great really. Few wet days to keep the flowers alive but nothing persistent over any significant length of time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

lawred2 wrote: »
    Best Saturday of the summer in Dublin? Possibly
    That sunset on Saturday 13th was so good that I might have to say 2nd best.

I hope you're right. I remember when Sryan turned his back on snow in winter 2018, then look what happened:D So Sryan do the same this year. But seriously i feel by the time the winter comes the blocking will be gone. As you have mentioned before we can't get proper northerlies anymore, so it's that bit harder for us to tap into a cold enough source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Already talking about winter :-) I note this year records being broken both for heat and cold this summer. Extremes seem to be the norm. the Netherlands had the coldest recording in July ever followed by the warmest ever? Fascinating stuff! Is this what happens for Solar min?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I hope you're right. I remember when Sryan turned his back on snow in winter 2018, then look what happened:D So Sryan do the same this year. But seriously i feel by the time the winter comes the blocking will be gone. As you have mentioned before we can't get proper northerlies anymore, so it's that bit harder for us to tap into a cold enough source.
    Go on nacho libre, be negative! :p I was fine this winter with my mountains trip on 2 February (best snow day I had in 9 years) and the ninja wet snow on 3 March so not much complaints from me even if it was disappointing to the forecasts. I will not say anything more on winter for now.:o Give me a classic August first thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

For me its been a well above average Summer so far especially if you discount the first 3 weeks in June which were cold. Since the 24th of June we have had at least a Max Temp of 19c in Waterford with 25 days with 21c or above. Just 18mm of rain in July. Plenty of beach days so give me that every year and i'd be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah Sryanbruen we don't want a classic August! That means a crap one!

Advertisement