Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PSV Licence

• 10-12-2005 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey

Does anyone know what the procedure for PSV licence is?
    DO you have to do a test
    Some told me you just get it at your local Garda Station

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

I had one up until a few weeks ago (never actually used it).

You have to go to your local motor tax office and pay c.€5 and be issued with a PSV receipt. You then have to phone your nearest PSV office (in large Garda Stations) and make an appointment.

You are then interviewed by the Superintendent and if your history checks out ok you will be issued with a badge and licence (paper form) within a short time.

They have also recently introduced a new requirement where you have to apply to Revenue for a tax clearance form to submit with your application.

(N.B. - This is the procedure outside the Dublin area.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

As far as I know you go to your local motor tax office, pay €12 and get a receipt. You must then bring this receipt to your local Garda Station to obtain the application form. I think that they acertain your suitability re criminal record etc. If the PSV is for a taxi you may have to do a test but I think this differs from county to county. Obviously, you must have a full driving licence for the category of PSV you intend to drive prior to applying for the PSV licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Silvera wrote:
    They have also recently introduced a new requirement where you have to apply to Revenue for a tax clearance form to submit with your application.

can anyone tell me what exactly this is for?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

kraggy wrote:
    can anyone tell me what exactly this is for?

To stop people doing two jobs .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Surely you can work two jobs?

I presume you mean to stop people working 2 jobs but only paying tax on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

my dad had to do a local geographical knowledge test at the Garda Station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭mark2000ie

can anyone tell me if you can get a PSV licence if you previously had your licence taken away for drink driving but have it back now?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Litcagral wrote: »
    If the PSV is for a taxi you may have to do a test but I think this differs from county to county. Obviously, you must have a full driving licence for the category of PSV you intend to drive prior to applying for the PSV licence.
    The small public service vehicle driver's (SPSVD) licence (the driver's "badge") is independent of whether the driver will be using a taxi or a hackney. The SPSV licence (the car's "plate"), for which there is no test, is what makes that distinction.

To drive a SPSV (taxi, hackney or limo) you need a category B licence and SPSVD licence. To drive a LPSV (Bus) you need a category D licence and CPC card. Also, I think the procedure is different. What I have here is for SPSV.
    mark2000ie wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if you can get a PSV licence if you previously had your licence taken away for drink driving but have it back now?
    I'd imagine that'd depend on how long ago it was, and on whether you'd "learned your lesson" or if you've had other offences since. Your best bet is probably to ring the Garda station and ask.

Procedure for SPSVD:
    1) Apply for tax clearance cert (TC2) - takes about one week
    2) Get form from Garda station and fill it in
    3) Get form to pay the €12 application fee and keep your receipt - get a spare form for when you're applying for badge
    4) Get 3 photos of head + shoulders (3" x 4")
    5) Photocopy your licence and passport
    6) When the TC2 comes in the post, throw it all in an envelope and head down to your local Garda station
    7) Ask the Garda on the desk to sign that the passport and licence are true copies
    8) Wait for a letter about your test date
    9) Show up and do the test / interview
    10) Fill in form to pay €3 for badge and keep receipt
    Then I think you bring that to the Garda station.

Now isn't that concise. ;)

Edit: Sorry folks, didn't realise the thread was so out-of-date! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭mark2000ie

No problem, thanks for the info :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Richie15 wrote: »
    Procedure for SPSVD:
    1) Apply for tax clearance cert (TC2) - takes about one week
    2) Get form from Garda station and fill it in
    3) Get form to pay the €12 application fee and keep your receipt - get a spare form for when you're applying for badge
    4) Get 3 photos of head + shoulders (3" x 4")
    5) Photocopy your licence and passport
    6) When the TC2 comes in the post, throw it all in an envelope and head down to your local Garda station
    7) Ask the Garda on the desk to sign that the passport and licence are true copies
    8) Wait for a letter about your test date
    9) Show up and do the test / interview
    10) Fill in form to pay €3 for badge and keep receipt
    Then I think you bring that to the Garda station.

Now isn't that concise. ;)

Edit: Sorry folks, didn't realise the thread was so out-of-date! :eek:
    Never mind out of date - it's a useful thread...maybe it should be put in the sticky *ahem* hint, hint!

Anyway....1 week for a TC2, you'll be lucky!!! More like 1 month if you're lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheRealist

Slightly off topic, but I'm wondering what insurance might be for a hackney before I go about getting a PSV licence. 28yo, full licence for 8 years, named driver for 6 years, own policy for 2. Can anyone give me a rough idea? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

ninty9er wrote: »
    Never mind out of date - it's a useful thread...maybe it should be put in the sticky *ahem* hint, hint!

Anyway....1 week for a TC2, you'll be lucky!!! More like 1 month if you're lucky.
    Far as I remember it was a week. Maybe it was a month though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

TheRealist wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I'm wondering what insurance might be for a hackney before I go about getting a PSV licence. 28yo, full licence for 8 years, named driver for 6 years, own policy for 2. Can anyone give me a rough idea? Thanks

Rough guess €2500 for first time psv

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jamesO wrote: »
    Rough guess €2500 for first time psv

if you have a full private NCB, quinn will accept it as named driver experience on a taxi and insure you fully comp for aabout 1300e

AA are very cheap for taxis now, i know a guy with full private NCB, started taxiing last year and renewed his taxi with AA for 799e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Richie15 wrote: »
    Far as I remember it was a week. Maybe it was a month though...

Just passed my exam for Wicklow. Tax cert took about a week i remember in November last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

you would be better off applying for McDonalds.Better money,better hours and free lunch.
    BTW I AM NOT JOKING
    If anyone here is thinking of getting into the industry take 1 bit of advice.
    Go to the area you intend to work during any time even sat nights and count the amount of cabs in that area.You will find it very diffucult to even make a part-time wage doing 60 plus houra a week

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

bcmf wrote: »
    you would be better off applying for McDonalds.Better money,better hours and free lunch.
    BTW I AM NOT JOKING
    If anyone here is thinking of getting into the industry take 1 bit of advice.
    Go to the area you intend to work during any time even sat nights and count the amount of cabs in that area.You will find it very diffucult to even make a part-time wage doing 60 plus houra a week

Bang
    on
    the
    nose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

My friend does the accounts of several taximen in Dublin(city and county). Things are'nt as bad as some here are making out.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

My friend does the accounts of several taximen in Dublin(city and county). Things are'nt as bad as some here are making out.

I can state as FACT that they are !:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Well these guys have a lot of regular private work and corporate stuff.

Advertisement