Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 10" Atom based Medion Netbook

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just saw this too over on Laptops, i'm tempted, very tempted. Now what about that 16GB Atom Processor!
    Well, you know, if the price is right i'll probably buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Dam you.... I want one... Starts to count the pennys... Darn it to hell!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

No price on the Aldi site but I've seen various reference to Aldi selling them for €399 in other parts of Europe since July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

No price on the Aldi site but I've seen various reference to Aldi selling them for €399 in other parts of Europe since July.

€499 here prob so!

:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

a stupid question but....

what does the 16gb refer to?

not ram nor hard drive so?

• Advertisement

Most likely to be if things follow the normal trend.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ronano wrote: »
    a stupid question but....

what does the 16gb refer to?

not ram nor hard drive so?

A typo, it's a 1.60Ghz cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

oh ok,thank you :)

well tis an attractive bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

chump wrote: »
    €499 here prob so!

:pac::D

Surely not!!:eek::eek:
    I know that theres an acer available with the atom processor and thats about 300e so surely the aldi one would cost less.I am very tempted, though

XP and all!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is a re-badged msi wind (like the advent 4211) except I'm pretty sure this one has the 6 cell battery whereas the msi wind and advent 4211 only have a 3 cell battery so handy for the extra battery life. Also I'm pretty sure that doesn't have draft n like the site says it does, might be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

399 and ill buy, looks like the cheapest webbook around 499 and i wnt touch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This is a re-badged msi wind (like the advent 4211) except I'm pretty sure this one has the 6 cell battery whereas the msi wind and advent 4211 only have a 3 cell battery so handy for the extra battery life. Also I'm pretty sure that doesn't have draft n like the site says it does, might be wrong though.

AFAIK the MSI Wind has the 6-cell. I have the advent myself which I bought in Dixons Swords (now a Currys) for €399.

Just as likely to be a 3-cell on this given it;s a medion, no? If so, from experience expect ~2hr battery from full. Disaster tbph, adverts here I come :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    AFAIK the MSI Wind has the 6-cell. I have the advent myself which I bought in Dixons Swords (now a Currys) for €399.

Just as likely to be a 3-cell on this given it;s a medion, no? If so, from experience expect ~2hr battery from full. Disaster tbph, adverts here I come :/
    Yeah I think I'm wrong. This comes with a 3 cell (the msi wind does as well). I could have sworn it was a 6 cell for some reason.

Edit: Yeah it's only a 3 cell, this doesn't have bluetooth, has a .3mp camera and has draft n whereas the wind has a 1.3mp camera, bluetooth and wifi g.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hmmmm, Didn't realise it had omitted the bluetooth and the web cam...ah well, i think i'll pass...for now! I think i'll see what this Dell machine is going to be like, if it ever gets released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

£299 (approx. €370) in Sainsburys! Might be worth a run to Newry for some....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Do-more wrote: »
    £299 (approx. €370) in Sainsburys! Might be worth a run to Newry for some....

For this model or the advent? DEFINATELY not worth it for this.

Like I said, superior Advent in Dixons for €20 more...if you want aa 6-cell you'll have to try online most likely.

Hmmmm, Didn't realise it had omitted the bluetooth and the web cam...ah well, i think i'll pass...for now! I think i'll see what this Dell machine is going to be like, if it ever gets released.
    The medion does have a webcam, it's only a .3mp but it's still good enough for skype, msn if that's what you want it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The advent is available for €379 in PC world.

Also the Sainsburys Medion is different to the one that Aldi sold in Germany in July, less well specced.

THe sunday business post had this marked as going on sale for €400 yesterday, so i'd say 399 is a likely price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The MSI Wind is only 369 in PcWorld, but can't imagine this variant/rebadge being much cheaper. Was very impressive though.

Confirmed the price of this to be €399 at my local Aldi by the manager.

Now does it have enough spec to warrant raiding the piggy bank?

• Advertisement

if the medion is the .03mp webcam, non-bluetooth version the advent 4211 in pc world is a much better deal and cheaper.

So.....it would look that the advent at 380e in pcworld is the best???

I'm surprised at that price to be honest, i was expecting 350ish for the medion that is. The advent is much better value, 379 has me tempted, but i might end up getting an acer aspire one in the states, it's like $350 with 120gb HD, 1Gb of RAM, and XP home.

Hmmm, 350$ = ~240e...Anyone know of how we could one one of those shipped over here at reasonable cost??

the acer aspire one is grand as long as
    1) You don't want to upgrade ram
    2) You don't need bluetooth
    3) You can live with the supposedly flimsy build quality

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm surprised at that price to be honest, i was expecting 350ish for the medion that is. The advent is much better value, 379 has me tempted, but i might end up getting an acer aspire one in the states, it's like $350 with 120gb HD, 1Gb of RAM, and XP home.

I'm going to NY in a couple of weeks. Dont suppose you've a link or exact model number?

Ye, well all i've really looked at is Best Buy, it says they're available in store at the above spec for $350. Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I thought the Atom was supposed to be awful.. barely able to run vista?

www.tomshardware.com I think was where I read it

jonny72 wrote: »
    I thought the Atom was supposed to be awful.. barely able to run vista?

www.tomshardware.com I think was where I read it
    Yeah it's a rubbish processor compared to the core 2 duos but it's meant to be low powered, cheap processor ideal for these netbook which only run linux or xp. It's pretty good for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

the acer aspire one is grand as long as
    1) You don't want to upgrade ram
    2) You don't need bluetooth
    3) You can live with the supposedly flimsy build quality

The ssd drive version is supposed to be shockin too`.

I think the advent would be the better choice, if only to avoid queuing on a pissing wet thursday morning and getting in a fist fight with a nut job granny. Then again, at least aldi wont nag you about some ****ty insurance (sorry bud iv heard of a bathtub curve) and give you your money straight back if it goes tits up.

I have a hp mininote myself, brilliant little machine, it looks like it costs 4x as it does and its very portable. It doesnt have the welly these newer machines have, but it can still play videos, run office, run photoshop, run a new 3d package and play some classic games. Netbooks are really taking off, I hope in a few generations we see some with discrete 3d graphics, it would be awesome for a bit of WoW on the move.

Advertisement