Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Joe Daly wrote: »
    It was James McGarry last game why should kilkenny apologise for giving him his last run out in croke park, I am sure that day there was one person on his mind she was looking down on him but a broken heart is never mended. Move on gentlemen like Brendan Cummins and other players gave him great support.

Who said anyone should apologize?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Which provincial winner will play their semi final on July 27th? I think Galway played the Saturday last year. Does that mean the Munster winner will play Saturday this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Which provincial winner will play their semi final on July 27th? I think Galway played the Saturday last year. Does that mean the Munster winner will play Saturday this year?

Not decided until pairings are known AFAIK, I assume that TV has a part to play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I see Aidan Nolan had his appeal rejected, and will serve a two-game ban.

But it's a two-gamer as he was also sent off in the Wild Geese tournament in Boston during the off-season. Which seems a bit ludicrous since it wasn't an official GAA game, and was played under different rules and with playing dimensions.

They'll be coming down on lads getting sent off playing soccer in the off-season next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Laois v Westies should be good game. Impossible to call. Group game meant nothing to Laois so not a good guide.

Huge prize on offer although the place in the preliminary quarter finals is a bit of a tokenistic gesture. Hard to see either beating Cork or Dublin.

Perhaps a fairer system would be automatic promotion for the winner and a play off between loser and the bottom Munster team even if it is a Leinster team!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

But it's a two-gamer as he was also sent off in the Wild Geese tournament in Boston during the off-season. Which seems a bit ludicrous since it wasn't an official GAA game, and was played under different rules and with playing dimensions.

They'll be coming down on lads getting sent off playing soccer in the off-season next.

Meanwhile Harnedys cheap shot punished by missing a glorified challenge. It's like nobody applies common sense to these sanctions, or are unwilling to when it suits them.

It wasn't the wild geese tournament it was the Super 11's and both are official GAA tournaments. And he ahsnt appealed as of yet, thats the initail finding.

Incidentally he man handled a referee and gave him torrents of abuse, comically in the wrong, he can have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What was Nolan’s beef? Result was ideal for both ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

citykat wrote: »

4 minutes of added time, he thought the ref only played 2, apparently the clock in the ground stopped after 2 so people were confused, still no excuse for acting the bolix.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

citykat wrote: »

He mistakenly thought they were out and the clock in the ground incorrectly showed that Horgan had only played 2 minutes injury time.

• Advertisement

I'm not contesting Nolan's red after the whistle. It was stupidity of the highest order, and deserves to sit out the Leinster final as a result. Big blow for Wexford and a personal blow for himself, but you can't accost a referee.

I am contesting using past discretion in the fecking Super 11's though when considering the length of his suspension. No way could that game be a determining factor when it was 11-a-side with different weighting for scores compared to normal.

Bull****.

I'm really not sure what the scoring or format has to do with it to be honest, it was an official GAA tournament and the rules are very clear, it's not as if this was introduced under hand or at the last minute, its very clear from the rulebook.

Hopefully he appeals and they double it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm not contesting Nolan's red after the whistle. It was stupidity of the highest order, and deserves to sit out the Leinster final as a result. Big blow for Wexford and a personal blow for himself, but you can't accost a referee.

I am contesting using past discretion in the fecking Super 11's though when considering the length of his suspension. No way could that game be a determining factor when it was 11-a-side with different weighting for scores compared to normal.

Bull****.
    In general I agree, that 11s thing is the textbook definition of Mickey mouse, and if they're going to start holding infractions in that against players, I would certainly like to see managers refusing to cooperate with the gaa in facilitating the event. But what was his infraction? Was it another attack on a ref? Because in that case I don't really think it matters what rules they played the game under. But if it's for something in a game that's part of the normal to and fro, then it's not right to use it now.

In general I agree, that 11s thing is the textbook definition of Mickey mouse, and if they're going to start holding infractions in that against players, I would certainly like to see managers refusing to cooperate with the gaa in facilitating the event. But what was his infraction? Was it another attack on a ref? Because in that case I don't really think it matters what rules they played the game under. But if it's for something in a game that's part of the normal to and fro, then it's not right to use it now.

If I remember correctly there was a bit of a row after a late hit on a Wexford player, and was given a red for his part in it.

Didn't pay too much attention to it though because as I said it was a meaningless game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

If I remember correctly there was a bit of a row after a late hit on a Wexford player, and was given a red for his part in it.

Didn't pay too much attention to it though because as I said it was a meaningless game.

no, that happened earlier. He got a red card for an average enough wild pull on Cian Lynch. Ref may be technically right in the red at the time, but wouldnt have happened in championship. David Reidy for Limerick also got a ridiculously harsh red in that game from Colm Lyons.

He was stupid to get a red last week, should have known a draw was enough. But for his suspension to be doubled as a result of a red card in a glorified challenge game last November that only 3 other counties participated in is ridiculous.

bruschi wrote: »
    no, that happened earlier. He got a red card for an average enough wild pull on Cian Lynch. Ref may be technically right in the red at the time, but wouldnt have happened in championship. David Reidy for Limerick also got a ridiculously harsh red in that game from Colm Lyons.

He was stupid to get a red last week, should have known a draw was enough. But for his suspension to be doubled as a result of a red card in a glorified challenge game last November that only 3 other counties participated in is ridiculous.

This is irrelevant to be honest, even if the draw had eliminated Wexford his actions were deserving of a Red card and a ban.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    This is irrelevant to be honest, even if the draw had eliminated Wexford his actions were deserving of a Red card and a ban.

you seem to have a particular bug bear over this. No one has said he shouldnt get a ban. I pointed out that he was stupid in the incident to be anywhere near the ref. Any abuse of the ref, particularly after a game, is fully deserving of a ban. Having the suspension doubled solely because of a glorified challenge game is the point being made here.

you seem to have a particular bug bear over this. No one has said he shouldnt get a ban. I pointed out that he was stupid in the incident to be anywhere near the ref. Any abuse of the ref, particularly after a game, is fully deserving of a ban. Having the suspension doubled solely because of a glorified challenge game is the point being made here.

No bugbear at all over it, I just deplore any abuse of officials.

I think the Super 11s are a bit of a joke to be honest a gimmick if you will, but it is an official GAA competition, something that the players and counties were fully aware of, and the rules are very clear on it. If people think that's unfair then I look forward to the motions at next years congress to that affect.

What would you say if Nolan had of seriously injured a player or heaven forbid a referee in Boston, should that be completley ignored because it was a less than serious competition.

No bugbear at all over it, I just deplore any abuse of officials.

I think the Super 11s are a bit of a joke to be honest a gimmick if you will, but it is an official GAA competition, something that the players and counties were fully aware of, and the rules are very clear on it. If people think that's unfair then I look forward to the motions at next years congress to that affect.

What would you say if Nolan had of seriously injured a player or heaven forbid a referee in Boston, should that be completley ignored because it was a less than serious competition.

he didnt though, a nonsense argument that has nothing at all to do with this.

And there are set rules for it if he did. Similar to getting sent off in club competitions not affecting county competitions unless its a serious incident that receives a large suspension.

he didnt though, a nonsense argument that has nothing at all to do with this.

And there are set rules for it if he did. Similar to getting sent off in club competitions not affecting county competitions unless its a serious incident that receives a large suspension.

Hey, now you get it!

I never said that I agreed with the rule, the original poster was saying it was bull**** and making out like it was a big injustice, while in reality it was simply applying the rules in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dont get everyone writing off Wexford for Sunday. As we knw Davy Is ultra competitive and would of learnt a lot from the group game and this could possibly be his last chance at a Leisnter final. Take TJ Reid out of the game and Kilkenny can be average

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭threeball

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dont get everyone writing off Wexford for Sunday. As we knw Davy Is ultra competitive and would of learnt a lot from the group game and this could possibly be his last chance at a Leisnter final. Take TJ Reid out of the game and Kilkenny can be average

I agree, this is wexfords All Ireland. I think they know themselves that winning the All Ireland is unrealistic but a Leinster would be big for them. Especially with this round robin format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

threeball wrote: »
    I agree, this is wexfords All Ireland. I think they know themselves that winning the All Ireland is unrealistic but a Leinster would be big for them. Especially with this round robin format.

Will be their first Leinster title since 2004 too?

In fairness leinster looked dead and buried as a province in the mid-late 00s but its really been rejuvinated with the addition of Galway, KKs decline and Dublin's emergence

There'll be some scenes if Wexford win Sunday. Will probably add to the case against scrapping provinces as they are

PTH2009 wrote: »

Are they? Who's everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

jr86 wrote: »
    Will be their first Leinster title since 2004 too?

Correct - Kilkenny won 2005 - 2011, Galway won 2012, Dublin won 2013 Kilkenny won 14, 15 and 16 while galway won 17 and 18

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will be wexfords first since 04 when they beat offaly, they took out kk in the semi that year with a last minute goal. If you think Davy is compedative, watch Cody's reaction when wexford score the winning goal in 2004. Sums up the man.

The general thinking seems to be kk players have more improvement from the last day and that tactically they now have wexford with Walsh sweeping and short passing. And also TJ wont be as bad again.

I think Davy will pull a fast one for this game, what I dont know. Wexfords running game is causing kk all sorts of problems as well. I don't know why but I really do think wexfords forwards can turn this game on its head if they click. Kk forwards to me are still so unpredictable bar TJ, I'm not convinced. Both teams will be confident but I'm tipping wexford to win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Are they? Who's everybody?

Standard underdog pre match stuff!! As old as the GAA itself.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Standard underdog pre match stuff!! As old as the GAA itself.

But the poster in question is from Waterford if Im not mistaken. Bookies have them very slight underdog, 2 point is the handicap spread which is a fair reflection I would think. Most press I have read or listened to are buidling it up as a real 50/50 battle.

But the poster in question is from Waterford if Im not mistaken. Bookies have them very slight underdog, 2 point is the handicap spread which is a fair reflection I would think. Most press I have read or listened to are buidling it up as a real 50/50 battle.

I dont think anyone is writing off Wexford. I'm from Wexford and had money on them to win Leinster since before the championship started. I dont expect to beat Kilkenny, however I would be disappointed to lose. I think they have the ability and form to be able to win, whether they produce it on the day is another thing. But it will be certainly more competitive than the last time we played them in a Leinster final when we were turning up to get hammered out the gate (last one being 11 years ago losing by 19 points)

• Advertisement

I dont think anyone is writing off Wexford. I'm from Wexford and had money on them to win Leinster since before the championship started. I dont expect to beat Kilkenny, however I would be disappointed to lose. I think they have the ability and form to be able to win, whether they produce it on the day is another thing. But it will be certainly more competitive than the last time we played them in a Leinster final when we were turning up to get hammered out the gate (last one being 11 years ago losing by 19 points)

Percisely and the text in bold is excellently put, I am sure the KK posters here would say the exact same thing. Incidentally its exaclty how I would call the Munster Final as a Tipp man as well.

Advertisement