Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What makes some interesting/boring?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

The problem with good listeners is they are usually not talkative. You need to add something to the mix, I’m a good listener but have nothing to say, I’m opinionated but just don’t have fresh thoughts

That's exactly like myself

Do you struggle with Holding conversation or creating conversation with people

My biggest struggle is creating convo with new people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

wally1990 wrote: »
    That's exactly like myself

Do you struggle with Holding conversation or creating conversation with people

My biggest struggle is creating convo with new people

I’m really good with new people but terrible the more I know people. Run out of convos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I don't really find many people interesting. My sister feels the same way.

But I like intelligent, intellectual people who aren't PR machines. Individuality and intellect is the key. For example, Jim Cornette and Germaine Greer are interesting.

Although I like sports, I find sports stars are bores generally. Most aren't very intelligent and they have nothing original to say.

I'm incredibly introverted myself and I suspect some people find me boring in real-life, but the feeling's mutual, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    Candie wrote: »
    I'd be more put off someone telling me they're a member of MENSA than I would someone telling me they watch Love Island. I don't watch LI but I'd put money on it being less boring than intellectual snobbery.
    Fun fact: Jimmy Savile was a member of MENSA. I thought Jimmy was an interesting character too, pity about the...well you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Interesting: you don’t have to be the funniest, most intelligent or best looking but people who are able to hold a conversation and have something about them. People who don’t only listen to what you’re saying but bring it back to themselves and offer anecdotes, are witty and don’t need to command the room to be charming. People who can balance the juxtaposition of having a filthy sense of humour and intelligent and critical debate, without being overpowering and obnoxious.

Boring: people who are waiting for you to finish talking so they can either tell you how wrong you are or tell a better version of the thing you just told. Those people who are always “on”. It’s okay to be off and be miserable and have a moan. Mad bastarditis people who are actually painfully boring beneath it all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It does boil down to whether you gel with someone or not. If they aren't your cup of tea, you aren't really going to care about their opinion or what they have to say. I personally like the outsiders, the "weirdos" as some others call them, people who don't conform to the expectations of others, someone who in some way has a kind of strange life or has odd hobbies. People like that are rare and can be very interesting. There are a huge amount of people out there who are in no way memorable and just do the things everyone else does or watch the shows their FB Account tells them to.

Its the off kilter people who have something different about them I like very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think it’s as easy as suggesting people are either one or the other all the time. It’s kind of like suggesting people are either introverted or extroverted. Most people are either/or at any given time given the circumstances. Oddballs can be interesting/uninteresting, average people can be interesting/uninteresting. Depends upon a number of factors and circumstances IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People who keep on about the good old days can be very boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

People who keep on about the good old days can be very boring.

Agreed. There were no people like that when I was a youngster.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Candie wrote: »

People I find interesting: People who have a talent for expressing themselves and who can tell a story without you glazing over.

This.

Being a good story teller is an amazing trait. I'm often amazed by people who can captivate myself and others with detailed stories that manage to recreate the moment perfectly.

I fail in this department unfortunately despite having loads of hilarious stories in my head!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Worked with a lad, he wouldn't describe himself as interesting or boring he actually is to modest to afford himself a description. The thing is even without making an effort his company is sought, simple explanation he's of that rare quality a 'character'. The stories about him in my place of work are endless, I have worked for this company for 23 years, the worst day I ever put in was the day he retired . Even after 3 years he is still spoken of with fondness. Probably off topic but it's nice to post something which may be of no relevance but honouring a decent soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Worked with a lad, he wouldn't describe himself as interesting or boring he actually is to modest to afford himself a description. The thing is even without making an effort his company is sought, simple explanation he's of that rare quality a 'character'. The stories about him in my place of work are endless, I have worked for this company for 23 years, the worst day I ever put in was the day he retired . Even after 3 years he is still spoken of with fondness. Probably off topic but it's nice to post something which may be of no relevance but honouring a decent soul.

Genuinely interested

What was he like ?
    Outgoing ?
    Funny ?
    A Messer ?
    Or just
    Great serious stories
    Intelligent

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

wally1990 wrote:
    Genuinely interested

It's hard to describe him but out of a workforce of 250 he was and is loved universally. It probably hurts his character but he came into work one morning wearing a slipper on one foot and a safety shoe on the other. When it was pointed out to him his reaction was' that's great I thought the clutch was going soft'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

To me someone boring would be somebody who never wants to do anything or only wants to do things that are specifically related to their own interests and wont try anything new or anything outside their own idea of 'fun'.

People who are self indulgent.

Extremely introspective types who try too hard to sound like they're intelligent and deep thinkers. Conversations are usually focused on themselves and their holier than thou opinions. - These people are usually the self indulgent types.

Negative people who look for the bad and criticize everybody and everything.

People who are condescending.

People who dont listen to what others are saying and are only interested in talking about themselves and their own interests.

People who make every conversation or interaction about themselves.

Extremely loud and energetic people - I just cant be around them, they drain me.

I find positive people interesting, especially if theyve been through hard times and have turned themselves around or turned bad life events into something positive.

Open minded people that dont judge or look down on others.

People who are passionate about their work, interests or hobbies.

People who are secure in themselves and have a quiet confidence are usually the most interesting people imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,624 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

68747470733a2f2f776d706963732e706963732f646d2d304e36522e676966

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

ive never seen love island and dont watch tv in general but i live in this world with others so i accept that there are people who love this show so im fine with that.
    people who would speak in a racist way wouldnt get any time from me.
    i accept that everyone's different and i accept different opinions but racism/hatred/nastiness etc doesnt appeal.

after that if you treat me fair youll never have any bother from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

ive never seen love island and dont watch tv in general but i live in this world with others so i accept that there are people who love this show so im fine with that.

I think its mainly for kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Some of the most entertaining people I know to be around are not particularly interested in the world around them, while some of the most boring are well versed on a number of topics. What to you is an interesting person? And what makes someone boring? Who is the most interesting and/or most boring person you know?

I actually think I am interested in people who are most like me in some way.

So what that means is I think I am interesting.

I think its the same for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I find people into poetry very boring.
    You'd be there and they'd be rambling on for ages and crowd/group would nearly be asleep and then they'll start on another poem.
    I guess I'm not intellectual enough for them.

and so? We do not all have to .... be "interesting" to everyone. And we can like folk who are not .. interesting to our standards surely?

Glad I live out here! we value each other as we are not as we would like folk to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Have to say that is definitely not why I dislike Love Island. They don't seem that cool to me, cool to me is someone who is real and everything about those ones is fake from their eyelashes to their tan. Cool to me is someone witty and intelligent and last time I saw a glimpse of it was a fella saying to a girl, 'I think your a bit damaged. I might fancy ya but dunno if I like ya."

What a cool guy. And I honestly think the women are vastly overrated in terms of their looks I just don't like that overly done up wannabe glamour model look at all, everything is painted on it looks silly. Though a big part of it is the personality that comes with that look is usually a shallow self obsessed dope. And that's why I don't see them as cool at all I actually see people with massive insecurities who are desperate to cover them up with physical attractiveness by frequenting the gym or beauty salon, since that's all they can improve, their brains have been non runners since birth.

You sound fairly damaged yourself. How is that fella's comment in any way laudable?

• Advertisement

Purposely have not read other posts:
    For me
    Interesting Person:
    Talks about doing adult colouring books :) (where did I get that notion from)Talks about lifehacking.
    Outdoors, Something thats not sport related.Talks about their garden activity.

Boring person.
    They got these tickets from Ticketmaster for the gig yeah!!!
    Theyve pre ordered the iPhone 11. Always talking about what their friend posted on Facebook. Their kid scored a goal in the camogie. Theyve a cool deal from Netflix. They're often loud and snarky on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A person with interests is what makes someone interesting. Someone who has tried to seek out information pertaining to something that they find intriguing will always be a more "interesting" character than someone who doesn't care about anything enough to find out more about it.

Of course, most people are "into" something. But that doesn't necessarily translate into an "interest", as it were. Someone who can waffle all night long about bleedin 'Love Island' doesn't have an "interest", like someone who's researched the British monarchy since 878A.D. They're just into something on a temporary basis that will be eliminated when the next mind numbing piece of shit TV show arrives.

Personally, I'd rather listen to someone bang on for a couple of hours about the history of the Rubik's Cube, than some vacuous twat bleat on about some air headed "reality" crap they saw on tele.

Tony EH wrote: »
    A person with interests is what makes someone interesting. Someone who has tried to seek out information pertaining to something that they find intriguing will always be a more "interesting" character than someone who doesn't care about anything enough to find out more about it.

Of course, most people are "into" something. But that doesn't necessarily translate into an "interest", as it were. Someone who can waffle all night long about bleedin 'Love Island' doesn't have an "interest", like someone who's researched the British monarchy since 878A.D. They're just into something on a temporary basis that will be eliminated when the next mind numbing piece of shit TV show arrives.

Personally, I'd rather listen to someone bang on for a couple of hours about the history of the Rubik's Cube, than some vacuous twat bleat on about some air headed "reality" crap they saw on tele.

The guy in peep show is like you describe and would be considered conventionally boring by most of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The guy in peep show is like you describe and would be considered conventionally boring by most of the population

I'd rather spend an evening with Mark than with Jezza. :pac:

TBF, Mark is a bad example because he always makes a link between everyday scenarios and the historical knowledge he has. But I've known some bland people, one guy in particular, he was from bum**** nowhere in the USA and obviously was surrounded by the farmers and redneck types but his way of breaking away from that life was to be overly informed in the most tedious matter of fact way. He knew information but was so dull listening to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

People who sneer at celebrity culture and stuff like Love Island are particularly boring. I'd hesitate to refer to their tiresome shtick as 'intellectual snobbery', as that implies that their warped superiority complex stems from something other than the insecure desire to somehow come across as deep and intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Irish language bores. I’m a native Irish speaker myself, but there’s nothing more tedious than some jackeen with an inferiority complex and a degree in Irish from UCD spouting on about how to save the language. They haven’t a clue. Usually found wearing cord trousers and sporting a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I find people who are interested in other people to be interesting.

It's not just that they listen but they think about the conversation and give more meaningful input or explore it in a way that I find makes it more enjoyable.
    Also, they'll typically have done more or taken advantage of opportunities more to gain experiences which gives them more stories to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

For me, its rarely about what they do or are interested in - its the person themselves that's either boring or interesting or whatever.
    I like music, just because someone else likes music doesn't necessarily mean I'd want to engage with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I find people who are interested in other people to be interesting.

I was just thinking something along these lines. I like people who are interested in others (not in a what did you have for dinner kind of way) but interested in learning about others and about different ways of life and so forth. I see it in my nieces and nephews who love hearing about their grandparents way of life, as kids, for example, which is so different from their own.

I find people who are self-centred boring. I know someone who witters on endlessly about herself, her life, her friends, her 'cast of characters' so to speak, and expects everyone else to be interested while not giving a sh1t about other people's lives.

Advertisement