Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That either gets you back to GMT or GMT+1.

That's fine with me as long as we pick the one appropriate for us rather than just trying to be the same as nearby countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Another reason to keep things as they are

The 3am sunrise is of no use to anyone, but a 9pm sunset in summer is a pain

In summer I value the evening light greater than the morning light.
    In winter I value the morning light greater than the evening light

Totally.

With summertime all year January would be a pain in winter but we could accommodate that with later office or school openings for a month.

A month later and the sunrise is an hour earlier anyway.

If we were in winter time now though (ie GMT) sunset would be 7:10 pm tonight in Dublin. 6:50 tonight in London.

People who think they want that don’t really want that. No point complaining about the nights coming in if they never go out.

Conversely if February were in summer time, sunset would be 7pm at the end of the month.

GarIT wrote: »
    That's fine with me as long as we pick the one appropriate for us rather than just trying to be the same as nearby countries.

Why is it appropriate? What does that even mean? If you want solar noon then use a sun dial.

You know west and Central Europe is all one time zone right? From the Spanish Atlantic to the borders of Belarus. China is all one time zone.

Some are hours out from real local noon. Nobody really cares. Although people don’t like the transitions to DST they don’t care about being exactly solar noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

'time' is a social construct, maaaaaannnnnnn...

Fixed that for you.

So in the height of winter we'd get no daylight at all outside of 9 - 5.30. At least on GMT it's bright going into work, I'm not looking forward to commuting both ways in the dark.

• Advertisement

Flying Fox wrote: »
    So in the height of winter we'd get no daylight at all outside of 9 - 5.30. At least on GMT it's bright going into work, I'm not looking forward to commuting both ways in the dark.

It could be bright enough at 5:30 actually as the sun would have just set.

Except for early jan the rest of the year is better. Morning sunlight is lost to most, evening sunlight isn’t.

(Jan 31st would have a sunset of 18:05 in Dublin).

So a few weeks of it being dark in the morning and evening (a lot of that covered by Christmas) and then you to go home in sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I can understand it to a point.

Always thought be best just maybe do it at end of November and put them back in February.

But I be happy to see change come alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Lights go out and I can't be saved.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Which isn’t GMT.

Anyway the worst thing we could do is winter time all year round, but at least they are not suggesting that.
    Could you imagine sunrise at 3am :eek:

No, fnck that, give me daylight till 11pm.
    In low winter we would have daylight from approx 9.30am to 5.30pm.

In low winter the weather tends to be bad which effects day light, thus it could dark well before 5.30pm most evenings.

The same bad weather would also mean that it could get bright later than 9.30am

So in that case I’d value the morning light much higher than the evening light.
    I don't understand your take on it really. In low winter, it's usually only beginning to brighten up by the time you're getting into work. You have no scope to enjoy the light, because it's in the morning, it's on the way to work. It's wasted time anyway.
    Then when you leave, it's dark.

At least if it was a little bright when you're leaving, you can enjoy the last few rays of the day as you skip out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'd really miss it tbh. The day after the clocks go forward is the first proper "yay, winter is here" day, it wouldn't be nearly as pronounced without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seamus wrote: »
    Could you imagine sunrise at 3am :eek:

No, fnck that, give me daylight till 11pm.

I don't understand your take on it really. In low winter, it's usually only beginning to brighten up by the time you're getting into work. You have no scope to enjoy the light, because it's in the morning, it's on the way to work. It's wasted time anyway.
    Then when you leave, it's dark.

At least if it was a little bright when you're leaving, you can enjoy the last few rays of the day as you skip out of work.

What would happen at weekends ?

A awful lot of people do an awful lot of stuff on weekend mornings, from sports to yard work.

Not getting bring till 10am on a Saturday really would be a pain.

Why is it appropriate? What does that even mean? If you want solar noon then use a sun dial.

You know Central Europe is all one time zone right? From the Spanish Atlantic to the borders of Poland. China is all one time zone.

Some are hours out from real local noon. Nobody really cares. Although people don’t like the transitions to DST they don’t care about being exactly solar noon.

To me it just makes logical sense that noon is actually noon.

I didn't know they were the same, I could have sworn Hungary was +4 but obviously not. Portugal is different though and we're in line with them.

I could also say I don't really care. But it would be nice and given we have to pick some time I think that's the time we should pick, if the sun rose at 10pm I'd get up then and work from 11pm until 8am, it doesn't matter that much.

Saying why should noon be solar noon is like saying why should water freeze at 0 when we could let it freeze at 20. Sure everyone would adjust and everything would be fine but noon at noon works better just like water freezing at 0 works better.

Nobody forces you to get up at any particular number. it doesn't matter if the number on the time is 4, 11 or 50, you can still get up at the same point in the solar cycle.

I'd really miss it tbh. The day after the clocks go forward is the first proper "yay, winter is here" day, it wouldn't be nearly as pronounced without it.

I feel the exact opposite. It's more oh, we've now started the annual 6 months of depression, I can't wait for spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Really who needs to be able to read a book by daylight at 11 PM or nearly midnight in the north west (if it's not raining). It's basically wasted light which would be much better deployed in winter in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What would happen at weekends ?

A awful lot of people do an awful lot of stuff on weekend mornings, from sports to yard work.

Would it?

How much "stuff" realistically starts before 10am in the winter anyway?

Wouldn't take a lot of effort for people to delay their weekend "stuff" by an hour if full daylight was so important?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

GarIT wrote: »
    I feel the exact opposite. It's more oh, we've now started the annual 6 months of depression, I can't wait for spring.

Most people seem to feel this way to be fair. I'm a night owl, I absolutely adore the October-December period in particular - maybe just because for me, a lot of epic annual social things happen at that time of year so it has some really nice psychological associations.

That's not to say I don't adore Spring and Summer as well, though - I don't really prefer one over the other myself, but the abrupt transition from one to the other with the change of the clock is, for me, a nice "Yay, we're now properly into that time of year!"

Also, the clock going back Halloween weekend means it's dark enough to have an illegal garden fireworks display at the sesh* without it being so late that the neighbours complain :D

*Please wait until after you've finished setting them off before hitting the drink, folks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I took part in this and I voted for to end it and keep summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If we had constant “summer time” then in high summer we would have daylight from approx. 4am to approx. 11pm

But that is the status quo. We are keeping that under the proposal.
    In low winter the weather tends to be bad which effects day light, thus it could dark well before 5.30pm most evenings.

The same bad weather would also mean that it could get bright later than 9.30am

No time setting can change weather though. So I wouldn't bring that to the argument.
    By the way - if you watch this coming winter - even with gloomy weather - 4.30pm is the earliest real darkness we experience in Ireland even in mid-December when evenings are earliest. That would move forward to 5.30 and would only be endured for 6-8 weeks. For 9to5 workers they could experience a walk after work in daylight for the vast majority of the year. Schoolkids even moreso. The collective benefits of that would be substantial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I will recommend to the commission that, if you ask the citizens, then you have to do what the citizens say - Jean-Claude Juncker

Therefore, NEVER EVER ask the citizens how they feel about the numbers of economic migrants entering Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The really, really good thing is that it would stop folk like ma making embarrassing mistakes as they have not noticed the clocks have moved.... Like thinking shops should be open or mass starting... THAT was a real

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Schools were always given as the reason for changing every year. It was considered dangerous for kids to be travelling in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The October bank holiday is one of the most depressing days of the years when we move clocks back. Beginning of what feels like perpetual darkness. Would love to keep ST all year.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Discodog wrote: »
    Schools were always given as the reason for changing every year. It was considered dangerous for kids to be travelling in the dark.

The little darlings all get driven to school now anyway. I would be over the moon if we keep summer time.
    Does anyone know if this will actually happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

So you're planning on turning up an hour late for everything?

He can watch the six one news live on RTE+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Ireland shouldn't do anything that creates a further divide between us and the US. The time difference is already tricky enough to manage for those working in Multinationals especially in the weeks when the clocks have changed in on one side but not the other yet. That goes double, triple, 10x for the UK. If they don't change we shouldn't even dream of it. The EU don't give two ****s what impact decisions like this have on Ireland so we shouldn't blindly follow their orders.

Really who needs to be able to read a book by daylight at 11 PM or nearly midnight in the north west (if it's not raining). It's basically wasted light which would be much better deployed in winter in the mornings.

It’s a pretty strawman argument to say that it’s all about reading books by 11pm. It’s about doing outdoor stuff. And it’s not about high summer either - 7pm sunset in February.

That’s a ludicrous argument.

Morning light is wasted though. Even with summer time the 4am sunrise isn’t seen by most, except late nighters.

Sardine wrote: »
    The little darlings all get driven to school now anyway. I would be over the moon if we keep summer time.
    Does anyone know if this will actually happen?

Which is better

Kids being driven and dropped off at schools in increasing brightness or in the dark with it not getting bright for another hour.

Many primary schools open between 9 and 9.30.

In the 20 to 15 mins before schools start kids are dropped off and supervised in playgrounds until they line up to go in.

If this change comes in that will be happening in the dark.

That does not happen currently.

It’s a pretty strawman argument to say that it’s all about reading books by 11pm. It’s about doing outdoor stuff. And it’s not about high summer either - 7pm sunset in February.

That’s a ludicrous argument.

Morning light is wasted though.
    Even with summer time the 4am sunrise isn’t seen by most, except late nighters.

In the winter its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

iDave wrote: »
    The October bank holiday is one of the most depressing days of the years when we move clocks back. Beginning of what feels like perpetual darkness. Would love to keep ST all year.

Hey I love that time of year it's an extra hour's kip in bed for me! It's March I hate!

Advertisement