Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar/English Help

• 05-01-2011 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know this is a creative writing forum, but I cannot find a language/English language forum on boards. I'm applying for a course and have been set some pre-tasks to complete. I wonder if people would mind looking over my answers and give thoughts or clarifications where required? I realize they're quite simple, but I'm worried I'm overlooking some glaring errors.

Thanks in advance. If I'm breaking rules here, please feel free to move the thread or delete it.

Part A.

Correct the following statements and explain your choice:

(1) Speaker A: Have you got any money?
    Speaker B: Yes, I've been to the bank yesterday.

My answer: Yes, I went to the bank yesterday. I went (past simple) implies a certain time in the past, or a place in a sequence of events. I've been (present perfect) means an unspecified time.

(2) Speaker A: Is John ill? He's lost a lot of weight.
    Speaker B: Yes, he's rather slender these days, isn't he?

My answer: Yes, he's rather skinny/thin these days, isn't he? "Slender" has positive connotations (a model's build is "slender", for example). Since Speaker A enquires if John is ill, the context is not positive.

(3) Speaker A: Why didn't you answer the phone?
    Speaker B: Because I had a bath.

My answer: Because I was in the bath. "I had a bath" in the past means it's over and done with. "I was in the bath" means the person was in the bath when Speaker A rang and that is why they could not answer the phone.

(Could someone help me explain number 3 better? My mind's gone to mush.)

Part B

Correct the following text:
    You must'nt worry about me, the course is great and I'm happy with my accomodation. I think I'll definately stay here until June. My teacher's names are Sue and John; they are very professional and the lessons are interesting. My landlady's got a beautiful dog; it's name is Ginger.

My corrections:
    You should not worry about me: the course is great and I'm happy with my accommodation. I think I'll definitely stay here until June. My teachers' names are Sue and John; they are very professional and the lessons are interesting. My landlady's got a beautiful dog; its name is Ginger.

Part C

Comment on the difference in meaning in the following:

(1) If I had the money, I'd buy a new car / If I have the money, I'll buy a new car.

My answer: "If I had" (second conditional) means that the person does not have the money for a new car, and the situation is defined by unreality. "If I have" (first conditional) suggests the possibility of the person having the money to purchase a new car.

(2) The house was very isolated / The house was very secluded.

My answer: "Secluded" suggests hidden or private; "isolated" suggests alone. A house in the city surrounded by high walls and trees could be described as secluded, but not "isolated".

(3) Give me a hand with this bag, will you? / Could you give me a hand with this bag, please?

My answer: The first statement implies familiarity with the person whom you are asking for a favour. The second is more polite and formal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

A(3) "Because I was having a bath" ?

C(3) First part may also sound like an order / the Imperative?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Part B:

I think I'll stay here until June.

or

I'll definitely stay here until June.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Moved to English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I see no reason to change "mustn't" to another word, apart form correcting the apostrophe. It sounds more UK idiomatic to my ears and I don't think the intention was for you to change the word or meaning.

"I think I'll stay here until June" is as positive to me as "I'll definitely stay here until June". I read is as similar to "I think I'll have a piece of cake" - there is no doubt that the speaker will have cake, he's made a decision and it's just a turn of phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with pikarooney. Mustn't is not the same as shouldn't, there is no reason to change the word, just move the apostrophe. Also the only thing wrong with definitely was the spelling in the original passage, no need to change the sentence.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. I wouldn't consider "mustn't" as archaic or stuffy. I also don't think that if the test-setter intended the student to change the verb that they would have bothered misspelling it. There's one clear correction to be made there; by making another adjustment that correction is nullified and the student may actually lose points for not making the obvious correction.
    There's a definite distinction: A construction such as "I think I'll see her next week" sounds hesitant and unsure, whereas "I'll definitely see her next week" is emphatic and decisive.
    This is not comparable - you can't be definite that you'll see someone next week as you cannot be sure that that person will be available to see you. In this situation, there has to be a measure of uncertainty.

Advertisement