Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you recommend custom fit for Newbie?

• 09-10-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Recently fell in love with the game. Picked up a second hand set of clubs from a mate. Obviously didn't want to spend mad money starting off. Now I'm dire at the moment. Have played par 3's probably about 4 or 5 times . Greatest days so far have been 2 pars :D Played full course once.

Everywhere I'm reading as a tip for beginners is get fitted. My question is, knowing the faults I have with my swing (thinning for sport) which I'm going to see a pro about. Would you recommend getting the swing sorted first, or get a custom fit (driver for start) and build upon that. Is a chicken or egg situation?

Thanks peeps!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

100% get lessons, Lessons and more lessons also but in the hrs practising what he told you! Your pro will then tell you when you need to upgrade to a descent set and get fitted.

But choose your Pro wisely as there's a lot of chancers out there. Trust me I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

I'd agree, lessons are the way forward, have to be able to swing it first. Standard set regular shafts will cover almost everyone to begin with.

Careful with the pro selection too. Maybe give a location and some of the guys on here could point you in a direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'd say once they're somewhat a basic fit - not total duds or made for a guy 5 inches taller than you or such - the clubs you have should do you while you're trying to find some sort of repeatable swing probably with a few lessons from a good pro. He might also offer an opinion on the clubs.

Edit: If you posted your general area some guys here might be able to recommend someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

+ 1 for the above a basic fitting mainly iron length as a lot of Game improvement irons are very long.
    A good pro will point you in the right direction and do a wrist to floor measurement to get a rough idea of what lengths suit you.
    He would advise the right type of irons to start off with also.
    Playing with badly fitted clubs will frustrate the hell out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Thanks very much friends :)

I'll keep going with the lessons. So many conflicting tips it's nice to get some practical advice.

Thinking of investing in a decent putter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP great user name :) How is Johnny Drama? :D

Welcome to the game.

Agree with above. Lessons, but make sure you practice. Once your set are not complete and absolute muck, you will build up some kind of swing routine.

Really the best of pro's won't be able to custom fit you for clubs until you get your swing sorted and till it becomes somewhat consistent.

Driver would be the last club I would recommend you worry about. When the time comes, a set of Irons, probably 4-PW. If you are only playing par 3, that's more than enough. Then look at wedges, I would only get one to start with, maybe 54. Untill you get playing lots and lots, you won't need more than that, and they are difficult to master.

Putter. Well, investing in a decent putter is all well and good, but stop right there. A "decent" putter is going to cost you a lot of money. The putter you should be looking for is one to suit you, something you like the feel of, the weight, the grip, the swing. It might not necessarily be a decent putter. Jim Furyk won the Fed Ex Cup with a second hand 30 dollar putter

So go shopping, his some balls with putters. Golf clubs (rather than golf shops) will allow you to take a putter out to the putting green and you can get a real feel for them.

Above all else, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Yeah I must say, a "decent" putter doesn't have to mean an expensive putter. Putters are about feel etc, try out a few ones and pick the one you like most, splashing 200 on a putter that you dont like won't make you a better putter or help you. As the link above stated Furyk bought a Yes Sophia putter and won the fedex with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Agree with all the above advice - concentrate on lessons and practice for now. Fitting would be wasted until you have a swing sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

It'll take about 2 years of regular play to develop some kind of consistent swing. There is no point getting custom fitted as a beginner as your swing is all over the pace, hence top, slice, shank perfect and complete misses on each hole. Just make sure your beginner clubs are the right length so you're not over reaching etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It'll take about 2 years of regular play to develop some kind of consistent swing. There is no point getting custom fitted as a beginner as your swing is all over the pace, hence top, slice, shank perfect and complete misses on each hole. Just make sure your beginner clubs are the right length so you're not over reaching etc.

Two years is excessive - don't discourage him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First Up wrote: »
    Two years is excessive - don't discourage him!

very excessive

A few months of regular swinging will get a pattern going, once there has been lessons and practice, the pattern should be decent enough to form the basis for a custom fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

+ 1 on having a few lessons but you should also get a fitting where your own clubs can also be examined.
    Whether your irons have an offset or not can have a dramatic effect on shot shape and may not suit your swing. Unsuitable lie angle will also affect ball direction. Best to know how suitable your current clubs are.
    Some pros will give you a lesson and fitting session.

Advertisement