Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural - Season 9 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Balls...wait no I'm an idjit :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Supernatural spin-off in development by the CW (plus some info about Season 9).

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/21/comic-con-things-get-supernatural-in-hall-h

Mr E wrote: »
    Supernatural spin-off in development by the CW (plus some info about Season 9).

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/21/comic-con-things-get-supernatural-in-hall-h

Yeah I saw that. Not sure how I feel about it but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Could be a bit strange knowing Sam and Dean are saving the world and somebody's just hanging around a city doing city stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://tvline.com/2013/07/22/supernatural-season-9-spoilers-jensen-ackles-jared-padalecki-dean-secret/

They’ve got angels, they’ve got demons and all the other stuff in between to now deal with,” star Jensen Ackles previewed at Comic-Con. “They’ve got to figure out how to navigate the terrain with all the new elements. They’re really going to need each other more than ever at this point, and they’re going to have to rely on each other more than ever, which is going to be difficult because there’s a secret that Dean is harboring right now from Sam.”
    So what is this hidden info, which Ackles called “one of the bigger issues of the series” and “a massive wrench” in the brothers’ relationship?
    “It really heavily involves Sam,” revealed his costar Jared Padalecki. “It even has a lot to do with why Sam’s still alive.”
    While the outcome of the secret is good – Sam’s still here, after all! — the elder Winchester is not feeling so great about keeping it under wraps. “Dean is continuing to lie to Sam, and he’s hating it every step of the way,” continued Padalecki. “And Sam can’t really tell. Sam’s like, ‘OK, I remember our conversation about teamwork, so I’m going to take you at your word.’ But when Sam finds out, s–t’s going to hit the fan.”
    Padalecki, however, is optimistic. “I hope Sam will understand,” he said. “I’m sure there will be a time when he does not, when he’s upset just because Dean begged him to stop something and offered honesty and partnership and then, right off the bat, is keeping a secret… I like Sam being alive, so I hope he forgives the guy.”

• Advertisement

Tahmoh Penikett to guest star
    as Ezekiel, an angel who executive producer Jeremy Carver described as a
    dignified warrior angel injured in the fall

Now Magic City is cancelled, I'd love to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan back as John Winchester

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Castiel is getting
    a love interest April Kelly (played by Shannon Lucio)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

More importantly, Supernatural is BACK TONIGHT! Yippee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Hopefully it will improve on last year, first year I have been disappointed in the show. It was always the first thing I would watch ahead of anything else I got that day,last season, I would end up waiting days to watch it because I wasn't all that pushed.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Hopefully it will improve on last year, first year I have been disappointed in the show. It was always the first thing I would watch ahead of anything else I got that day,last season, I would end up waiting days to watch it because I wasn't all that pushed.

I thought last season was a marked improvement on the previous two. There were some fantastic episodes in 6 and 7, some of the best the show ever had. "The French Mistake" and "The Man Who Would Be King" spring to mind immediately for me.

The overall arc was much stronger in 8 with the exception of maybe Sam and saving the dog and it was set up quite well after the disappointment of the Leviathans not really going anywhere.

Supernatural is still first on my list of shows to watch each week and hopefully remains that way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

tvnutz wrote: »
    Hopefully it will improve on last year, first year I have been disappointed in the show.
    Really? The second half of season eight was a noticeable improvement in the quality of the show IMO - best run since Season 5. Seemed to be a pretty general consensus also and it's made me look forward to see what's happening in the aftermath of the finale.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Gobsmacked is not a term I use lightly, but...wow. I am impressed.

Generally liked it. Balanced the elements pretty well whilst being interesting and entertaining. Good dialogue in the car. The threat of Sam dying seemed to carry more dramatic weight than similar scenarios in past seasons. New angel bloke seems likeable, if a bit odd. Young angel was too cute not to be a little evil and likely marked for death once she started that routine. Still love Cas. Idjits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thought season 8 was one of the better seasons, myself.

9.01 was great. Perfect set up for the season.

Really enjoyed it. A good solid opener and some great humour mixed in, especially in the first 25 minutes. Nothing over the top dramatic/hell for leather like a few of the opener's in seasons gone by but this felt right. I agree for the first time in a while you felt there actually were stakes in relation to Sam living. Also the fun to be had with Cas being human is endless, whether it lasts is another story.

On a side note I was scanning through facebook earlier and saw a image from the Supernatural page showing
    Mark Pellegrino
    and ran for the hill without reading anymore spending the whole episode wondering if he'd show up :pac: Turns out he must in some other CW show, have to say I'm pretty gutted but I'm sure he'll make another appearance at somestage somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

season 8 was mixed for me, there was a lot of potential but it did feel it wasnt sure what they wanted between all the different plot threads, most of which got very timid resolutions.

but season 9 I think had a good set up to start it and the opening episode while not making any earth shattering changes or revelations did confirm that unlike the ending to season 7 and season 8 cold opening, that yes this time we are taking what we set up *ANGELS EVERYWHERE!* and running with it.

They also at the end of season 8 made the best decision since season 5 which was to bring in a new big bad on the demon side who actually has A) the presence to make it work B) look good doing it C) actually relate to the other events of the series (dick's problem was the leviathans were so separate to everything else in supernatural that they ended up going nowhere in the wider scheme of things) Of course I'm talking about a genuine heir to the throne of hell that can finally put crowley where he belongs, uncomfortably in the middle. So I really hope to go to town with Abaddon as a villain.

Supernatural hasnt had a main female villain since season 3 (yet they are so common in the stand alone episodes)

First episode and the above teasers for the season as a whole pretty much seem to confirm that angels and a civil war in hell are whats on the cards for this season, which means more cowley, more castial and perhaps finally a solid footing to take the men of letter premise to somewhere really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Castiel minus a trenchcoat? That's it, I quit!

:)

Seriously though, Good opener though one thing I was wondering while watching this is how come all these angels have just landed on earth yet seem to act more like humans than Cas after all this time?

And is Crowley still in the trunk?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Both of us here very much enjoyed the opener, which set up as strong a potential premise for a season as any since the fifth season. We're getting the angels unleashed as hinted at for a good few years now.

Also think Sam's angle here is a little different than before. Now as usual the brothers are keeping secrets from each other (it wouldn't be 'Supernatural' otherwise) but it does seem like Sam's ready to die. Not angrily, not bitterly but just that he's done his bit and he's ready to rest. How he'll react when he finds out that Dean's undermined his decisions will be interesting.

And of course full time Cas is a great idea. I had feared that they'd give him amnesia but that's not the case. I can imagine that he'll start getting his own faction in a little bit (even if he doesn't want it) and we can really build up to something interesting.

The fact though that the show is still this enjoyable despite being in its ninth season is quite remarkable. Shows what happens when you can re-charge your show a little by bringing back a head writer to freshen it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Is Kripke back? Didn't realise that. When did that happen?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Kripke's not back. He's plotting the spin off, I think. About to watch 9.02. High hopes, I've been completely unspoiled for it so hoping for the best!

episode 2 was mixed.

The premise of demons embracing the modern world and abaddon banging out a proper demon militia is great.

the execution though was weak. The episode felt slow, in particular the whole sequence around the diner. I guess I was unreasonably demanding on Abaddon taking over as a major villain. Hopefully though with better execution the next time we see Gi demons they'll be more impressive.

Aside from that nice touching on the circumstances with sam, callback to lucifer seasons and crowley established to be on hand as needed are all good elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Liking it so far, I mentioned last season wasn't amazing in my view, it did pick up near the end, but these first two episodes seem like it is setting a good pace and will be interesting.

The only thing that bugs me is I don't really like the actress playing Abbadon, just doesn't seem menacing or like someone who could take over. Crowley was always great, this one on the other hand...

Kripke was mentioned as an executive consultant here, not sure if that'll be an ongoing thing, but notable as he's usually only mentioned as the creator.

I liked it. Not sure how many popular references were in there Breaking Bad, Zero Dark Thirty, comics and possibly the Man from UNCLE. Interesting to see Abaddon in that someone may actually challenge Crowley from his side of the world. Agreed that the diner section wasn't the strongest, though I like the rest of the episode. Ezekiel's a handy angel nuke to have around.

also calling kevin katniss when he misses with the crossbow as a hunger games reference.

One wonders where dean gets the time to see all these shows and movies when he's hunting demons all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So far so good.

2 solid episodes so far, actually drawing me back in after abomination that was season 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

Enjoyed it. A bad episode of Supernatural is better than a good episode of something else.

Thought the nods to breaking bad and zero dark thirty were shoe horned in badly.

Enjoyed the scene where Sam went angel. Would have liked if they kept up the blue eyes when Zeke was talking to Dean after the fight.

• Advertisement

Another very good episode. It was great to just follow Castiel on his journey through discovering human life, I thought they did it very well. I didn't cop that April was a reaper at all but was thinking she was a little too loose with a well-spoken beggar. Sam and Dean's reaction to him telling about it was priceless too :pac:

It's only a matter of time before Sam begins to question Dean/(Ezekiel) saving the day without recollecting it happening. I'm delighted this season is so strong, it feels fresh. Although I'm convinced of Bart's (:P) prowess as a big bad angel just yet.

As for next week it looks like a
    Halloween/Wizard of Oz p!sstake
    :pac:

Advertisement